would you be more happy not knowing what you now know?

by ExBethelitenowPIMA 196 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Cofty - ExB - serious question. What books are you basing your knowledge of biological evolution on?

Ex-B - I haven’t read any books on biological evolution, but I do read a lot of books on many subjects and I think you shouldn’t need to have long complicated books if it could be proven then we evolved then it would be easy to prove through the fossil records

I have not read your specific books on biological evolution

But I haven't mentioned any specific books. You just said you haven't read ANY. A few days ago couldn't name one.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Cofty, some people simply cannot humble themselves to admit they've been beat.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    There's no way we can cheat death. We all die. But all religion and cultures throughout time have spoken and speculated about an afterlife.

Buddah is dead. Muhammed is dead. Zeus is dead. Lao Zhu is dead. Krishna is dead. Confucious is dead. But Jesus is alive forevermore. Death couldn't hold him. That's hard to ignore.

Without that, they're all about the same. The people who follow these dead religious leaders are destined to die themselves. The almost dead following a person who is dead.

Why would anyone want to follow some dead guy?

BTTT : No way. It's always better to be in reality regardless of whether or not it is expedient, popular or not.

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

As I’ve said many times I haven’t read any specific books that are about biological evolution but I’ve read lots of other books about evolution. But you keep being very childish and twisting things? Do you think this makes you look like a mature level headed individual?

Getting back to the topic of this thread cofty may be an example of what we are talking about here. Maybe not as happy and content but feeling very aggressive in keeping their beliefs that they are so sure they have found the truth?

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

Many in my congregation are now PZMI. Physically zoom and mentally in 🤣

• cofty
    cofty

I asked you how you arrived at your rejection of biological evolution and you volunteered the fact that you had never read a single book on the subject because they are all 'long and complicated'. How am I twisting things exactly?

they are so sure they have found the truth?

That is the heart of your problem. There is no 'TRUTH' there are only 'truths' or facts and data.

It's up to every person to weigh the evidence and take account of the things that can be known when constructing their values and purpose in life.

You have it back to front. You begin with a worldview that includes god and ultimate salvation, and then filter the facts that you will admit based on whether they support or challenge it.

It is ultimately more satisfying to accept reality for what it is and find value and purpose in life.

• FFGhost
    FFGhost
    I haven’t read any specific books that are about biological evolution but I’ve read lots of other books about evolution.

I'm still curious. Can you give us the title, author, and ISBN number of one of those books that is "about evolution" but "not about biological evolution"?

I'm trying to work out what "non-biological evolution" is, and maybe that book can help.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    It is ultimately more satisfying to accept reality for what it is and find value and purpose in life.

Cofty,

That is a truth statement that assumes that YOU know what reality is. Why would you assume that? ...especially since your world view is that everyone including yourself is an accident? It makes no sense.

There is no 'TRUTH' there are only 'truths' or facts and data.

If there is no God (TRUTH) why do you put trust in facts and data that are just artifacts of explosions, unguided chaos and chemical accidents? What makes you think you can rely on them for stability (truth) ? Where does the information come from like DNA. DNA isn't just one code, but several codes. It is codes within codes and codes on top of codes like "epigenetics".

Says Dr. Georgia Purdom who has a Phd. in molecular genetics - "DNA is like discovering a coded message that means one thing when you read it in English, but if you pull out every third letter, it means something completely different in French".

How do you get this out of an unguided explosion? Please explain how unguided copying mistakes can form themselves into multilangualge codes at the same time. Do you have any other examples of codes (or any information for that matter) coming from anything other than a mind?

You seem confident that you have arrived at a place where you can put trust in accidental data and facts. But why should one chemical accident believe (or care) what another chemical accident chooses or believes if what you believe is true?

The atheist worldview is inconsistent. That is a fact. It is a demonstratable truth. Will you accept this fact and truth along with the others you have supposedly embraced?

If a person asks too many questions, they will soon find themselves outside of the WT organization. I believe the same thing can rob a person of their slumber in atheism.

• cofty
    cofty

SB - Take it to a new thread and I will be happy to explain why you are misguided

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    cofty may be an example of what we are talking about here. Maybe not as happy and content but feeling very aggressive in keeping their beliefs that they are so sure they have found the truth?

People do not like to give up long held beliefs. When we all used to go to the doors, we were so sure that we had the truth. We were agressive, dismissive, and arrogantly impressed that our "good works" of going door to door set us apart from others, especially the most prominent part of the whore of Babylon - Christians who accepted the free gift of salvation like children.

Then we found out that Jesus is not our mediator, we found out that we were not justified. We found out that without being justified we cannot escape the wrath of God . In a nutshell, our beliefs were not consistent with scripture.

The..."other sheep...are...not even justified". - WT 1938 pg. 104-105

Romans 5: 1 states that we have peace with God by being justified (declared righteous) by our faith.

Romans 5: 9 states : "being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him."

Some people are willing to live with an inconsistent wordview, others are not. An inconsistent worldview is something I could never go back to. It is a huge red flag that something is wrong and requires more attention.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit