would you be more happy not knowing what you now know?

by ExBethelitenowPIMA 196 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

What if the Bible is Gods word?

• cofty
    cofty

I will trade comfort for truth every time

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

"I will trade comfort for truth every time" me too, but I found when I was a believing J.W the constant, and ever building, Cognitive Dissonance meant I was uncomfortable, all the time unless well away from J.W people and stuff.

I found that discovering truth eradicated Cog. Diss, helped me find my real self, and was like drinking fresh, pure cool water, rather than the brackish sewage laden sort the J.W's are forced to drink.

Some things were hard, I remember meeting up with a lovely XJW lady shortly after I had left, and she said (I don't know how it came up) "..But we all have to die", prior to that I had never faced my mortality. But doing so made me more comfortable in the end.

There is no substitute for truth and reality, living in delusion doesn't even come second.

• St George of England
    St George of England

I was raised as a JW and never really thought much about it until I was about 60ish. Then, for some reason the doubts began to become major issues. I had put so much on the 'back burner' over those years.

I think the reason I had not really thought much about religion, I went to school, uni, got married (JW pioneer) and then devoted all my energies to my career. I just bumbled along in the truth. Once I was mostly retired I had time to think and research. Finding this site was a life changer. However, all my family and my wife's family were uber-JW's so I guess I just became a PIMO.

I wish I had found the truth about the truth 50 or 60 years ago. I would have had different life but not necessarily happier. Still as happy with Sis England as when we first met.

George

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA
    cofty2 hours ago

I will trade comfort for truth every time

-

Would you really though? Are you prepared to come to terms that you were wrong about what you believe? Cofty have you considered that you have been lied to about the theory of evolution? I know you are comfortable in believing this theory but how can you know it’s the truth?

what if you believed chance as origin of life for a long time then came to realise actually it must have been intelligent design as the origin of life?

would you then wish you could go back and not know what you now know?

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

Phizzy “There is no substitute for truth and reality, living in delusion doesn't even come second.”

but don’t you think everyone says that and some believe chance as the origin of life and some totally believe intelligent design as the origin.

both groups say things like - “There is no substitute for truth and reality, living in delusion doesn't even come second.”

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

I wish I had found the truth about the truth 50 or 60 years ago. I would have had different life but not necessarily happier. Still as happy with Sis England as when we first met.”

George that is my point. Yes you would have lived a different life but probably not as happy. And would you be more happy now if you stayed PIMI?

And what is the truth about the truth anyway? Are they wrong about everything or only some things? Was Jesus a real man in history for example? Of course he was so they are right about that.

The point I’m making is it’s not as simple as saying “now I’ve discovered the real truth” anyone may think that but perhaps nobody has the real truth. In that case if what you believe makes you happy maybe that’s better than believing something else that makes you have no hope and bleak outlook when even that option is probably not true either.

I think it’s better to go for the option that makes you happy

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

I’ve come to the conclusion that if someone is so sure they have the truth about the big questions then they are probably wrong.

Most evolutionists are so sure their theory is now fact and cognitive dissonance won’t let them consider anything else. But then many creationists are the same.

Those of us who have come to the acceptance stage where we are comfortable in the knowledge that the Bible may be right but it may not be also.

Different interpretations of the Bible may be right but they also may not be. The governing body are definitely wrong about many things but they may be just imperfect men trying to do their best and making lots of mistakes.

Once you get to this final stage that people like me are at you can be happy and have the attitude it may be true it may not be. I hope the Bibles promises come true we will see, but there is probably more to it than we think.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I would flip it, and look at it from the other end. Have you ever had to deal with ignorant people and thought "I'm glad they can't see how things really are"? Put it in the context of the vaccination issue you discuss all the time. Do you feel that the world is better off with so many people ignorant of what you feel is the truth of that matter?

After all, being ignorant about a matter is often more than just option A or option B. And even the seemingly safe option isn't always that. If it turns out that the JWs are right about everything (impossible as that may be), then you won't be saved because you straddled the fence (lack of faith) and consorted with apostates (guaranteed DF, and you get on Jehovah's "you gonna die" list). If it turns out that they're just another religion that got it wrong, you have an endless choice of religions, most of which are probably also wrong. Makes god seem like a bit of a sadist.

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

You are wrong about official doctrine about sitting on the fence and being able to jump one side at the last minute.

Last years drama one of the prison guards in the great tribulation just jumped in last min.

about the vaccines yes billions of people have taken multiple of them, would it be best if they go on thinking they are safe and effective? Yes ignorance is bliss in this case as they can’t go back now.

if you have a dying loved one who is PIMI, would you talk to them on their deathbed about there is no resurrection hope, the Bible is wrong?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit