would you be more happy not knowing what you now know?

by ExBethelitenowPIMA 196 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

For clarity:

People who use the word ape to describe humans and their ancestors - scientists

People who say the term ape is “unhelpful” if used that way - Cofty

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

People confuse and conflate and commingle what they in fact know with what they believe and what they conclude. For example if push comes to shove and one had to put his own head on a plater and your life depended on it, one only knows that God exists. Everything else related to religion requires faith. Another example is the theory of evolution that humans evolved from lower organisms: You just don’t know.

• cofty
    cofty

TC thank you.

SBF - we are apes. Our common ancestors with other primates were hominoids.

if push comes to shove and one had to put his own head on a plater and your life depended on it, one only knows that God exists.

I know no such thing.

the theory of evolution that humans evolved from lower organisms: You just don’t know

I do. Everybody who has studied the scientific evidence who is motivated by religious dogma knows.

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett

"People who say the term ape is “unhelpful” if used that way - Coft"

It is unhelpful. Because it gives rise to dumb questions like "if humans evolved from ape's, then why are there still apes?"

Humans, chimps, gorillas are all apes. We are different branches that all descended from a common hominoid ancestor. Go even further back and all primates including monkeys will have a common ancestor. (all apes are primates, but not all primates are apes)

You can keep carrying it back and eventually you'll reach a common ancestor of all mammals. You can carry this even farther back until you reach a common single celled ancestor of all life on earth.

• cofty
    cofty

Ex-B yesterday...

Cofty I have read both side and watched countless videos, it would take far too long to go through all me or you have studied over the last few decades

Ex-B 14 hours ago...

Cofty I have read many books promoting chance evolution

Ex-B three months ago...

I haven’t read any books on biological evolution

So three months ago you admitted honestly that you had never read even one science book that presents the evidence for evolution. By yesterday you had read so many that you couldn't possibly list them all.

Wilful ignorance is not a virtue; neither is lying.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Our common ancestors with other primates were hominoids.

That’s the wrong way round. Primates didn’t evolve from hominoids, hominoids evolved from early primates.

Hominoid is the narrower term, which is now used synonymously with “ape”.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ape

Primate is the broader term which includes lemurs, monkeys, and other mammals, as well as apes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primate#Classification_of_living_primates

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett

"That’s the wrong way round. Primates didn’t evolve from hominoids, hominoids evolved from early primates."

Right you are.

But the larger point of common ancestry still stands.

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

Are you being awkward on purpose Coffey? There is no need to be so aggressive defending your faith we all have a right to believe whatever we want.

As I have said I have read many books making the argument that the origin of the universe was chance not intelligent design. I don’t think I have read any specific books on biological evolution that you were talking about three months ago because the theory is always changing.

I suspect the latest theory will be debunked and in the future these biological evolution theories will be replaced with most theories and you may be asking me “what you have never read any books on the new common ancestor theory of chance at the start of everything?”

Maybe there was a common ancestor that all life evolved from I don’t think we will ever know for sure but that doesn’t answer the question of where the first ever cell came from? Or where the things that made the first ever cell came from?

was it intelligent design? I don’t know and neither does anyone be very wary of anyone claiming they absolutely know the truth.

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

This is what I said three months ago -

ExBethelitenowPIMA3 months ago

I haven’t read any books on biological evolution

but I do read a lot of books on many subjects and I think you shouldn’t need to have long complicated books if it could be proven then we evolved then it would be easy to prove through the fossil records

but it no the fossil record shows no evolutionary changes at all

ancient fossils are no change from same creatures today.

this is true I have confirmed it. The fossil record shows no evolution the fossils are the exact same as the same creatures today

• cofty
    cofty

Ex-B - you have been caught in a blatant lie. I could recommend some excellent books to you but I have zero confidence you would make any effort to learn.

Why are you proudly displaying your total lack of knowledge of the fossil record? There is an embarrassment of riches of fossils showing the transitions of evolutionary history. The most compelling evidence is in DNA.

The basic fact that every living thing - including humans - evolved from a common ancestor over millions of years never changes. Only new evidence of the precise details is added constantly.

Abiogenesis is still unresolved but massive progress has been made in this field. The work of Nick Lane and his team at UCL in investigating bio-energetics is especially promising. Their research seeks to bridge the transition from geochemistry to biochemistry. The details are fascinating.

Carry on with 'god-did-it' if it makes you happy. You are missing out on so much.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit