Steve Hassan. Can some one verify if this is true.

by joe134cd 98 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Giordano
    Giordano

I've not read anything Hassan has written. The 'cult personality' thing rings a bell because I would see that revealed during and after assemblies......... that gung ho energy that we have the truth thing. But I've also seen the same thing after sales meetings and after volunteer meetings.

I left the religion in the mid 1960's there was no literature available....no internet. I used three books to address my concerns . The True Believer by Eric Hoffer outlined the way a radical religious or political movement attracted believers and kept believers. No mention of the WTBTS but very accurate.

William Shirer's The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich also had a big influence on me as it's section on the concentration camps revealed to me the total absence of a merciful god. Jehovah was not a god to be worshiped, loved or listened to. It became obvious to me that he/it didn't exist.

The third book was Jame Michener's The Source "........a novel of the history of the Jewish people and the land of Israel from pre-monotheistic days to the birth of the modern State of Israel."

Since the Society loves to quote from a book written by Jews for Jews I needed a neutral source. What I learned was that the Old Testimony was not a Christian reference. That threw out about 60% of WT dogma.

To me this was also a book about time........ the movement of time and how a religion was constructed, how it survived and what it meant. The Society was diminished and far more pathetic in my eyes after reading that book.

From these three books I learned that all mandated belief systems were wrong because they were about people not their gods.

When my wife and I walked away from the JW's we were in our right minds and our personalities were intact.

People who can't walk away tend to wallow in rational ignorance. They are happy to stay ignorant about a wide range of issues.

That's the grip a high control movement has on it's true believers.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    BTW, it was only recently that Hassan identified the WTS as a cult and discussed much at all.

Yeah that's right. At first Hassan never included JWs as a cult, but he said he got so many people contacting him asking why he didn't mention them. Including Randy Watters, there's an interesting interview here.

https://youtu.be/5ywcTe79nXQ

I've got mixed feelings about classing JWs as a cult. On one level they are nothing like the cults who kidnap people, sleep deprive, starve, humiliate, and so on as some groups do. On the other hand their information control and shunning practices are pretty severe. So they are not just a regular church either. They lie somewhere in between a strict church and a cult

Plus I think it's fair to say Hassan probably realised that JWs are potentially a huge market for his books and that influenced his decision to include them latterly. Most of the groups he discusses are tiny, whereas there are millions of Americans with some sort of JW connection, lots of potential for book sales.

I don't think we have enough "facts" to make a judgment. Reminds me of how jws would sit in judgment on people in the congregation, as we were out in field service demonstrating our Christian personalities.

I agree completely. Moralism gets old.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

slimboyfat - "...Moralism gets old."

And it ain't even all that fun.

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

Just by the book and read it, well worth while.

• rebel8
    rebel8

The allegations of dual relationships and use of hypnosis/NLP are what concerns me most out of all those listed in the article. Those are dealbreakers.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Law of supply and demand. It's the system that we all love...when benefits us, but so ugly when it benefits our neighbor.

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

I too sometimes have questioned motives of people that want to "help" others and then you find out the cost or price involved.
    One of the things that appealed to me about the bible when i was a believer was how Jesus supposedly said you received free give free.
    Then we know about the Apostle Paul being a tent-maker to provide for himself and not wanting to be a burden to anyone. Those things are what attracted me to the "word'.
    Then I read about how many on here bought Ray Franz book Crisis of Conscience (CoC) and how it cost to produce books and such, which is a given and yet these same ones would say things about how Ray would respond back to their letters,e-mails and phone calls all free of charge. That made an impression on me.
    It kinda let me know that he had expenses to pay as we all do but at the same time he really wanted to help others even when there was no money to be had or made.
    I can only go on what others have said about him because I never got the chance/opportunity to meet or talk to him in real life. (I count that as a great loss) The videos I've seen of him all seem to bear this out as well.
    But getting back to my point,sometimes even the best of intentions can allow celebrity,fame and/or greed to slowly creep in and derail what started off as a worth-while cause.
    I really hope this is not the case with Steve Hassan and many others out there but only time will tell I suppose.

In the meantime keep making whatever truth you find out there your own. Irregardless of what the source.
    Truth will always hold up to scrutiny.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    The allegations of dual relationships and use of hypnosis/NLP are what concerns me most out of all those listed in the article. Those are dealbreakers.

Hassan knew the founders of NLP in the early 1980s but has been speaking out against it for decades. So those accusations seem particularly mischievous.

https://youtu.be/S3AZjrFPpIM

https://youtu.be/lEWZXq8G7Sw

Apart from anything else, personally I find Hassan's constant uptalk very tiring to listen to.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

The problem is that nowadays jehovahs,s witnesses are not listed as a cult. I think they fall into the category of a sect.

Imo they function more like the military than anything else. One example is that in the military if a commanding officer says the colour black is yellow then the underlings must never contradict or question what the commanding officer has said even if it is obviously wrong.

edit: some people thrive in a military style atmosphere others find it too suffocating and balk at the need to be so subservient to the hierarchy.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I have no issue with the guy making a buck. I just find it extremely hypocritical that a guy who goes around beating up cults for generating money is himself engaging in the very things he condemns.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit