Steve Hassan. Can some one verify if this is true.

by joe134cd 98 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• cofty
    cofty

Still all this black-and-white argument going on.

Of course he deserves to earn a living.

$400 per hour to chat is a reason to question motives. The more somebody charges the more people are apt to assume it must be very special.

I have never read his books but I am already an expert on how cults control people. Most of us here know as much about the psychology of cults as any "counselor".

• Drwho
    Drwho

On the way out .

Thanks for your words

I read both his books within a week , the first time and for me, as a total newbie to cult influence , they were invaluable . Before i read the books I was doing the heavy handed approach and just pushing the Jw away further into the Wts clutches .

He taught me to adopt the love approach and make her ( the Jw ) use parts of her brain / mind that she doesn't usually use . Its amazing, the difference in her . Im a long long way off from getting her out, if that will one day happen I doubt very much , but she now knows so many things and believes them too about the Wt , which was unthinkable a few months ago . I too would quite willingly pay thousands, if there was a guarantee at the end , but alas there is none , and she also says " I have a headache " when it gets too much : )

• Drwho
    Drwho

I tried to get her to read Combating cult mind control , after I had read it but she refused .

Then one day , she was here and we had a row and I threw it out of my apartment window after her in the car park , shouting like a mad man " fucking read that ! " lol The neighbors look surprised to say the least : ))

She took the book home and read the first pages, got scared , wrapped it up in gift paper and hid it under her bed, strange behavior ?

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    DrWho: She took the book home and read the first pages, got scared , wrapped it up in gift paper and hid it under her bed, strange behavior ?

It is sad behavior. Sad.

To be so terrified and to not know that freedom from that mental anguish is only a tiny mental click away

She still has the book. Maybe she will unwrap it some day

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    • She took the book home and read the first pages, got scared , wrapped it up in gift paper and hid it under her bed, strange behavior ?

Isn't it the calm, normal reactions to any sort of criticism that let you know JWs are simply well adjusted folks who happen to have figured out God and the meaning of life?

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

He's at the top of the game. Who else is has written books, actually been in a cult, and then has the educational credentials to back it all up?

If any of us put in that kind of work and were recognized as an "expert" and were at the very top of our game, we'd charge what the market would bear and not think twice about it.

• cofty
    cofty
    we'd charge what the market would bear and not think twice about it.

Not me.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

What Cofty said.

DD

• Drwho
    Drwho

@ Slim

No not at all,

• jws
    jws

He's got a specific skill. So he's probably more specialized than a general psychologist. And they aren't cheap either. Neither are other professions like lawyers. I personally wonder why the expenses are so high.

During my divorce, we had a non-disputed divorce. My lawyer charged something like $5K. I met with him for maybe an hour. He went over a sheet that was more of a fill-in-the-blanks type form. My ex and I filled it out. and I met with him for maybe another hour. From this, he generated the legal paperwork. Ex and I both signed and gave back to him. He filed it. And then met me for court.

For all I know, he had programs that did this all for him. Print out the questionnaire, fill in the responses, print out the legal paperwork. A few letters and/or driving to the courthouse. All in all, I'd guess it added up to less than a day's work (8 hour day that is). Yet it was over $5000. That's over $625/hour.

The guy's got to make a living so he charges what he charges. IMO, cults are on the decline. Religion is on the decline. Before the 80's, it was a different time in the world. People believed all kinds of crazy stuff and followed all kinds crazy people on the path to enlightenment. It still happens, but I've got to guess people calling for help from Hassan have dwindled.

I wouldn't call it a scam. Psychologists try to help people and can't always. Doesn't mean they're a scam (unless you believe like Scientologists). Scams, IMO, is where you have nothing to offer, but pretend like you can. Like faith healers, psychic surgeons, etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit