Higher Education

by Brian J 93 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

There seems to be a double standard here depending on the country. I can speak for the US specifically, because here is where I grew up. To varying degrees, higher education is frowned upon. I was a good teenage JW, who told the counselor (much to her chagrin), that I was not going to go to college. I was doing the right thing.

Now I have friends in the UK and Sweden. They went to University no problem. No real issue. It was almost expected. Could it be because university in these places is paid for by the state, sort of like k-12 here in the US?

That is really the only reason for it that i can come up with.

• mentalclarity
    mentalclarity

I know elders in the US whose kids have gone to college and gotten 4 year degrees. In fact most the younger millennial JWs I know have some sort of degree (whether technical or 4 year) The idea (for these JWs) is that a higher level of education will allow them to work less and earn more while devoting time to preaching,etc. JWs are ever so practical. If the goal of the education is to be able to serve the organization more fully, I don't think it is frowned upon.

Obviously they aren't encouraging kids to move into dorms away from their community and study philosophy. But nowadays studying after high school is pretty much a given because it's very hard to get a job that can support a family without a degree. This wasn't the case a couple of decades ago when JWs vehemently opposed higher education. None of the people I know lost privileges. Maybe this is some isolated congregation with an overzealous elder, but the higher education ban screwed the Jws growing up in the eighties and nineties mostly.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

the higher education ban screwed the Jws growing up in the eighties and nineties mostly.

And those growing up in the sixties and seventies, too. ( #%^ the lot of them! )

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

higher level of education will allow them to work less and earn more while devoting time to preaching,etc. JWs are ever so practical. If the goal of the education is to be able to serve the organization more fully, I don't think it is frowned upon.

That would not be highly viewed by the congregation and it is not what a JW who has faith should do.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

But nowadays studying after high school is pretty much a given because it's very hard to get a job that can support a family without a degree. This wasn't the case a couple of decades ago when JWs vehemently opposed higher education.

This, in a nutshell.

The problem is, as always, terrible leadership; they have not offered doctrine or congregational life that is rewarding enough, or smart enough, to bring people back to the fold after a real education, and so they have banned higher education.

Others will object to this term, banned, but the 'commonly held belief' in the congregations is anti-college, anti-higher education, including suspicion of the medical profession.

The anti-college mindset is not something most older ones will shed anytime soon.

I grew up in the trades, made good enough money to have one parent at home until the 90's, but that is not possible today, wages are down, not up; the trades are dominated by cheap migrant labor.

• dozy
    dozy

In practice , the dynamics of the average BOE makes it unlikely that an elder would be deleted in these circumstances.

For a start , it is difficult enough to appoint an elder or ms anyway as increasingly , male JWs aren't "reaching out." Unless an elder is really unpopular then he won't be deleted as nobody wants to take on the extra work. I hardly knocked on a single door in the ministry the last 4 years I was an elder. Nobody said anything.

Secondly - most BOE have elders who either ( or both ) have had children been to university or actually have been themselves. For example , my former COBOE had a university education and put 2 of his children through college , one of whom has "left the truth". Any elder deleted in those circumstances would ( rightly ) kick up a real stink about hypocrisy and it would throw the whole BOE into chaos , as suddenly everybodys qualifications would be thrown into focus ( I've seen this happen a couple of times when an elder is deleted). . Let's be honest - most elders are pretty useless and once you start looking at their qualifications , it's like opening a can of worms.

• mentalclarity
    mentalclarity

@Fisherman -"That would not be highly viewed by the congregation and it is not what a JW who has faith should do".

Actually they are used as elders, give talks at conventions, are on the liaison committee - so I have to disagree with your statement. In Latin America JWs (who can afford it) have been sending their kids to Universities for years because of the economical situation and how competitive the job market is. These are elder's kids who have all their privileges.

Be open to the fact that attitudes might differ depending on where you live and your community.

Link
  • Drearyweather
    Drearyweather
    In Latin America JWs (who can afford it) have been sending their kids to Universities for years because of the economical situation and how competitive the job market is.

Yes, even in India, most elders and their kids have college degrees. Even in the local congregation. Only those are deleted or have their qualifications reveiwed who send their kids away to live in dorms because most of these kids either fade away or get involved in some pretty nasty stuff.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

100% agree with Dozy. While the WTS has continued to demonize education in a variety of ways, the shortage of elders makes the implementation of this very difficult. You could easily end up with a war and multiple deletions or resignations and NO ONE on the typical BOE wants to see fewer elders because that means more work for everyone else.

I've seen the fights on BOEs over much less.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Education is just like any other investment.

"No it ain't." Fisherman

Education is an investment in money and time. I have seen many people saddled with student debt and no marketable skills. A person should make decisions related to education just like any other life decision. One should always consider the cost/benefit of the decision.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit