Does Anyone Still Believe in God?

by LaurenM 447 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DJS
    DJS

Cap,

Try violating the law of gravity. Hint: you can't!

Yes you can. They are called boob jobs.

• prologos
    prologos
    djs: I was talking about the deist god, whose characteristics are compatible with our scientific findings (or their absence) you are talking about the old gods' way of supporting curved bodies, like Atlas. what a dual burden for us.
  • Half banana
    Half banana
    Stuffwot: I was careful to be specific in saying that my belief in Rodney was no different from a psychosis and not that all religion is a mental illness.
  • stuffwotifink
    stuffwotifink
    I was careful to be specific in saying that my belief in Rodney was no different from a psychosis and not that all religion is a mental illness.

Well, then you were not all that careful, or specific.
    Because unless I missed one of your comments, you said no such thing.

"I have a friend called Rodney, he wants everyone to be good towards each other, he looks after everyone but dang! The trouble is; he is invisible. As it happens, it was he who created the universe and he told me that he will kill those people who don’t believe in him but for all those who do, they will go into an everlasting paradise.
    Qualitatively and philosophically is there any difference between my psychosis and theism?"

What you did was describe an example of psychosis and ask if it was different from theism, "qualitatively and philosophically".
    I would not have posted a video answering that question - If you had simply made a statement that theism wasn't a mental illness. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I'm not quite that dull.
    It may have been the question mark you used that threw me off...

• Twitch
    Twitch
    stuffwotifink

A shame your posts and inquiries are met with silence from the anti-theist crowd. Any possibility of god other than theism seems to be ignored and scorned, despite the intellectual honesty you give the topic.
  • Saved_JW
    Saved_JW

From a strict Philosophical point of view, I really don't understand how our culture [this post included] ties in the subject of the existence of god with the existence of evil.

In other words: Evil exists = No god

Historically this has never been the case. The ancient pantheists [Egypt, Babylon, Greece, Rome..] never tied in moral virtues [as our culture defines them] with religion or the existence of God. They were separate things.

Morality was strictly a philosophical concept and was a topic of much debate. Religion and god was tied into power, magic and sacrifice. In fact, they viewed the gods [or nature] as more powerful yet equally as morally depraved as we are.

So you can see why I find it strange how people simply discredit the existence of god by using subjective emotions of what morality should or should not look like.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    t like the idea of hanging my future on a reaction to a negative. (the JW religion)
    When I first began participating on this site, I realized there is a formula that is supposed to be followed of leaving, poking fun at the religion, look to science and lastly, become an atheist.
    That feels like pressure.
    I want to have my own experience - something the JWs do not allow.
    I do wish there were more opportunities for friendly discussions about the topic but the folks here that believe in God are pretty quiet and the atheists are as zealous as the JWs

millie210 I agree with you, and although I am someone who has followed that formulae to a tee and am now an athiest I feel very uncomfortable with the fact that thiests are nervous about expressing their views on this forum. I love the idea of you following your own path, thats cool. Thats what we should all be about here - ACCEPTANCE.

I personally am still grieving over Jesus.I really miss him being in my life. I know it seems foolish but there it is.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    he deist worker creator proposition is simpler in the sense that we see work done to produce someTHING all the time, to carry that proven sequence of 'cause and effect' back into time beyond the beginning , that is the simplicity. of course you are right: we've got another thing or two coming. glad for that, and consider stuffwotifink's posts above.

Just want to say (sadly) who created the creator? If you insist complexity requires an intelligence surely the creator is very complex and therefore requires a creator too and so on ad infinitum.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Diogenesister

that is what I have been trying to say

• prologos
    prologos

Diogenesister
    8 minutes ago

Just want to say (sadly) who created the creator? If you insist complexity requires an intelligence surely the creator is very complex and therefore requires a creator too and so on ad infinitum.

researching up to the creation event is exciting enough. worrying about the parentage of a deist maker is futile. one poster even suggested that the theist 'god' has an unmarried mother. so: I will repeat my answer to your ad infinitum question:

before the creation event, there was no movement through time, time=static eternity. The "big bang" energy got everything moving through time, and the new space to expand . If we assume that there was no movement through time prior to our universe's creation, then why would you need a progressions of parents, overlapping generations of creators , before the beginning?

bsw, I am sure there would* be room in that barrel for the two of us. * if I would not be happily married.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit