Does Anyone Still Believe in God?

by LaurenM 447 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

the opposite of ego centric, you see "God" has a history, and its based in ancient tribal ego maniacs. The god idea of us as creation is arrogance. No, I see the cosmos as an indifferent place. Take earth for example. There have been about what... 5 mass extinctions starting with the first about 400+ millions years ago.

There is no "Plan" centered around us humans. yea we are cool, but to the universe we are just another rock for target practice. The importance of 'God' is inside every insecure human who doesn't want to feel alone and helpless.

It doesn't matter what circles you guys run in, god is founded in myth, fear, ignorance, superstition. Not enlightenment, in fact seems safe to say the mere idea of God retards progress and enlightenment. If you can't see that from human history, your bias is clear. The thing about the atheists is if there was a sound reason for believing god they would say ok, there is a god. But you can show theists there is no sound reason to accept "God" and they refuse to acknowledge. If atheists maintained their godless status in the light of proof of god, yes they would be biased. But such a thing does not exist except in your vivid imagination.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Prologos, you are alone in the universe, no jehovah looking out for you, waiting to send you to heaven or paradise when you croak, just a big indifferent universe you flying through, no destiny, no plan for you, no moral compass, its all you.
  • prologos
    prologos
    freemindfade I see the cosmos as an indifferent place. Take earth for example. There have been about what... 5 mass extinctions starting with the first about 400+ millions years ago.
    so do I. Deists typically do not believe in a creator that keeps tinkering with the original work. All is packaged into the beginning opus, kind of like the ideas of Roger Penrose, squeezed through the big bang singularity.
    That is why it is clearer to talk about a 'worker creator' rather than 'god', no worship, magic, invisible dragons involved at all.
  • prologos
    prologos
    freemindfade10 minutes ago
    Prologos, you are alone .-- well, my family, 3 year old daughter would take exception to that statement, but let us assume I were (would be?). It would be a very empty universe, because if I piled all my work in one place, (and I am using already made matter), the total gravity would be very weak. My point: the existence of the universe in the cosmos is grandiose, existence of life is gift enough, it is a gift that was produced. the product of a creator -worker, as perceived by a deist. Anybody that believes the universe made itself, well--
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade
    it is a gift that was produced. the product of a creator -worker, as perceived by a deist.

this is where you lose credibility. You are stating as fact something that just isn't.

And by alone yes I meant without a creator interested in you

• prologos
    prologos

as perceived by a deist. "I meant without a creator interested in you" I agree with you. That I am interested in myself, even your opinion, is interest enough.

The deist creator obviously had the successful in mind. like another post said: " perhaps he/she created the universe to see what would evolve"

added: I also used this, perhaps flawed sequence as a reason for my present world view: there were no human laws millions of years ago on this continent, Our present laws are the result of intelligence at work (even if the law is an ass) . so, laws are a sign of the presence of intelligence. There are natural laws governing the universe. ergo---.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Natural law is not a law in the sense of a man made law. That comparison is nonsense.
  • prologos
    prologos
    Vivianean hour ago
    Natural law is not a law in the sense of a man made law. That comparison is nonsense.
    insist on violating either one of them and find out.

• cappytan
    cappytan
    insist on violating either one of them and find out.

Man made laws are easily violated and many violations of man made laws go unpunished.

Try violating the law of gravity. Hint: you can't!

• prologos
    prologos
    cappytan:

"Man made laws are easily violated and many violations of man made laws go unpunished.

Try violating the law of gravity. Hint: you can't!"

I was referring to laws coming into existence. and bsw, you supported the deist option: how?

The laws set up by the creator have superior enforcement mechanism. hint!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit