Does Anyone Still Believe in God?

by LaurenM 447 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• WireRider
    WireRider

Throw the Bible away. It is an ancient antique, full of distorted hand-me-down stories from many generations from isolated areas of the middle east. It was written and assemble by humans that wanted to scare the crap out of people, beat their wives, and keep political/emotional control of herds of humans.

The fact is that for a relatively brief period of human existence, about 10,000 years, virtually every culture on the planet, completely independently, developed a sense of religion of a God - or being - from "up there" - or whatever. That is greater than us. Not from here. Instrumental in the creation/development of humans. How can you explain that? A giant evolution of humans - several hundreds of thousands of years of human development happened almost overnight - and then the whole world of humans is looking to the skies and uniformly develops religion - from beings "up there". For each in their own paradigm and cultural bias and filters. How did that happen?

Science or not. How did that happen?

• cofty
    cofty
    How can you explain that?

Is that a rhetorical question or would you like an answer?

Have you read any Michael Shermer or Daniel Dennett?

• WireRider
    WireRider

Why did hundreds of independent cultures point up and say "God"? And have an overwhelming compulsion to pay homage and pray and believe is a being greater than us? How did that happen?

• WireRider
    WireRider
    I would like an answer. But in the mean time I am open to your theory. I'm not sure if anyone has proof from why every continent independently had a sudden compulsion to develop a religion around the same time as Christ.
  • cofty
    cofty
    Why did hundreds of independent cultures point up and say "God"? And have an overwhelming compulsion to pay homage and pray and believe is a being greater than us? How did that happen?

Seriously do some research on the two authors I mentioned in the previous post. You will find it a fascinating topic. I would also recommend Susan Blackmore's work on religion as a meme complex.

• cofty
    cofty
    I'm not sure if anyone has proof from why every continent independently had a sudden compulsion to develop a religion around the same time as Christ.

They didn't.

In the area of gods Jesus is a newcomer.

• cofty
    cofty

Here is a little intro to whet your appetite. Research is far more satisfying than wishful thinking.

• cofty
    cofty

Here is another one that will give you some food for thought...

• WireRider
    WireRider

Granted - but a common theme in a matter of only a few thousand years in the midst of a million years of evolution. Humans really seem to have exploded on to the scene.

• cofty
    cofty

So do some research and get the facts and see when and why the cultural revolution happened.

Facts destroy myths.

Watch the videos if you are genuinely interested.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit