What is the most bizarre counsel you received as a JW, from a JW?

by Funchback 180 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• kairos
    kairos

I was doing the stage mic adjustments at the circuit assemblies.
    I was thrown off the stage by the CO for my shoes. Not shiny enough.
    They were black suede shoes that I wore to all my local public talks and service assignments.

Being the lunatic dub that I was, I went out into the audience and found a friend of mine.
    We swapped shoes and I was back on the roster!
    Never mind that shoes can not be seen from the audience at the Fairfield Assembly hall in Northern Cal.

I would later use this pharisaic knowledge to my benefit.
    I was already waking up, still a MS, getting confused and learning TTATT.
    Don't want to do the stage anymore and just sit in my seat and space out?
    No problem... Instead of wearing my CO approved matching pants and jacket suit, I wore a sport coat and slacks. <thrown off the stage>

All down hill from there...

• Helpmeimfadibg
    Helpmeimfadibg
    I was told that my completely modest skirt and shirt were sexy. And when I awkwardly said thank you the sister said "no you missed the point". No cleavage, no knees, not tight. Just cute. Still want to slap that crazy bitch
  • dubstepped
    dubstepped

People who reached out to foreign speaking territories were counselled not to just do that because they'd be neglecting the English speakers. Even when reaching out you couldn't do it right.

A brother's suit was too gold. Another brother's hair was too long. The school overseer counseled against wearing bright colors or shiny buttons on stage. I was counselled because my friend made dirty jokes and as a ministerial servant I guess I was supposed to control everyone. I drove too fast for some in the ministry despite a perfect driving record. I once said "it wasn't like I flipped him off" after an elder criticized me for being frustrated at a guy that nearly drove into me and was counselled for violating his daughter's ears with such language.

A brother was seen riding in a car with a sister he wasn't married to alone as he and his wife helped her move and had to take the moving truck back. Nobody else helped the sister move, but someone did see the two of them together after dropping the truck off going back to the house where his wife was waiting. It was scandalous.

We were counselled against playing tackle football. I was even ripped for it by a sister during a field service group that I was leading. That was pleasant.

I once got the stage ready for the meeting and watched a sister go up and move it around because she liked it better that way.

I could echo many others here as well. They are crazy judgemental whack-jobs, straining out the gnat while gulping down the camel as someone stated earlier.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I was youngish (23) and had gone already through all that "what's wrong with beards/goatees" that most JW brothers go through. So, instead of a beard, I decided to grow my sideburns down to the point of my jaw, a la John Lennon c.1971 or Elvis Presley.

And I received counsel for it

The recently-made elder was actually a nice bloke, but he said something like "sideburns shouldn't go down past the earlobe".

I chose to ignore his counsel but it stuck in my mind as a prime example of control-freakery.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

And all these experiences highlight what?

That the org is a "high control, cult like group"

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I had a dimwit who told me you should be careful what you wear in the living room because the government spies on people via their televisions.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    "Don't practice ventriloquism... it's demonic." (paraphrasing, but that's the gist)
  • apostrate
    apostrate
    The Watchtower practices ventriloquism. They've got about 7 million dummies!
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

I was also told not to show little JW kids slight-of-hand tricks, too.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome
    not to go to the pub in the middle of the meeting if your bored.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit