Can psychic energy heal?

by kenpodragon 108 Replies latest jw friends

• rem
    rem
    Another psychic took him up on the offer, and he had a group there, who only spoke German. She couldn't do a thing. He said it was a big "win" for him, but he cheated. He is a charlatan, who will do all he can to make them fail. JMHO

Why would a psychic need to speak the same language as the subjects? Are the spirits monolingual? This would only be necessary if the 'psychic' needed oral feedback ala "cold reading". It was a clever control to keep the psychic from cheating... and the once the psychic knew that her normal cold reading tricks would not work, she gave up.

Anyway, the spirits don't seem to 'talk' to the mediums anymore. That went out of fashion a few years ago. Now they just give hints: "I'm feeling pain in the chest or some type of head trauma", "I'm seeing an M... anyone with an M name in the audience?". The spirits seem to be pretty vague. Unfortunately, true believers will take the most ridiculous comments as a hit. "Anyone from France here... someone just came from Europe?"... After a long pause an audience member says "I was just in Vegas and they have a model of the Eiffel Tower there." I'm serious.. I could not make this stuff up!

The Randi challenge is very exhaustive in its setup and both parties have to completely agree with the conditions... It's not all Randi's show... in fact he is never the judge - the tests are usually set up so that no subjective judging is necessary. So the psychic knew up front that any cold reading techniques would be controlled and accepted the challenge anyhow.

rem

• larc
    larc

For those of you who believe in psychic energy, on what portion of the electromagnetic spectrum does it fall? All energy can be measured, so how is psychic energy measured? To make up a name, does not mean the created concept exists.

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

Are you saying "chi" and "ki" are made up names? These are the oldest words in the Chinese language.

Just wondering

Dragon

• rem
    rem

How does a word's age relate to the existence of a concept? How old is the english word for 'dragon'? Do dragons really exist because it is an old word?

rem

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

If psychic energy can heal then very few people are taking advantage of it. Yes people do recover or go into remission from seeming hopeless stage 4 cancers, but they are less than .01% of those afflicted. Yes people do postpone dying until after a much anticipated event (not so difficult - adrenalin probably). And women who attend a support group with breast cancer live longer and assertive patients fair better than submissive patients. But we aren't talking cures we're just adding a little time.

Interesting there is a new nasal spray on the market for women to vamp up their sex drive. Apparently it did not work for the placebo group - but the ones who got the spray were transformed apparently (my husbands rather ambitious retelling of the article maybe). Does placebo work for cancer? I have never heard that it does.

Though I am still uncertain as to whether diet and life style changes in a rare few cause long term remssion or whether it's the belief in what they are doing that achieves the goal. Most fail though.

Marilyn

• Lost Diamond
    Lost Diamond

Everything that has matter, or mass, is formed by atoms, which are a form of electromagnetic energy. Our brain is constantly producing this kind of energy. Neurologist use a machine called the electroencephalograph to measure electrical activity in the brain.

Neurologists know if an electrode is connected to each side of the head, the resulting energy produced by mental activity can light a five-watt bulb. This tells us the brain is emitting electromagnetic waves of great intensity as long as a person lives. This electrical activity is related to what we call thought and the activities of the human mind.

If our mental activity can light a five-watt bulb, imagine what else we could do if we understood this phenomenon better! I believe there is still a lot to be learned about what the brain and mind are really capable of accomplishing. Plus, the energy that our body omits is remarkable. I am personally making it a goal of mine to do more research on healing energy.

• larc
    larc

Lost Diamond,

I agree with you. The brain is truely an amazing device. Just think about how much information is stored in such a small place, plus all the programs to make our bodies work and our memory for all the skills we have learned. I think the human brain is as awesome as all the billions of stars in the sky. I do not object at all to those who expouse the healing power of the mind. I believe in that myself. What I object to, is the idea of psychic energy as defined as energy coming from another person.

• rem
    rem

Diamond,

Neurologists know if an electrode is connected to each side of the head, the resulting energy produced by mental activity can light a five-watt bulb. This tells us the brain is emitting electromagnetic waves of great intensity as long as a person lives. This electrical activity is related to what we call thought and the activities of the human mind.

This is not entirely true. It's not that easy to harness this electomagnetic energy. It's not like the energy is just being produced... it's being used to communicate between neurons. It's like saying you can gather up all of the electricity in all of the telephone wires and light a lightbulb... you can, but you won't get much telecommunication going on. It is more accurate to say that the aggregate of electromagnetic energy in our brains, if harnessed, could light a very low-power lightbulb. Thus we are not 'radiating' electromagnetic waves to any great distance.

MEG is a new technology that holds great promise because it can detect brain waves deep in the brain. However, if the brain's electrical field is weak when measured at the scalp, the brain's magnetic field is weaker still, especially when compared to the earth's magnetic field and motor magnets. It requires large superconducting magnets, and today that requires liquid gases to get cold enough. http://biocybernaut.com/tutorial/eeg.html

Even if we were, electromagnetic waves are no mystery. We know very much about their effect on the body and the brain (very little to none). If there were any significant effect, then you would not be able to survive an MRI (or at least you would have some type of reaction) because of the incredible magnetic forces. This also applies to those magnetic therapy wristbands, shoes, mattress pads, etc... they are worthless.

rem

Edited by - rem on 1 October 2002 1:15:37

• Lost Diamond
    Lost Diamond

Rem,

I think you have a valid point, but it depends on what kind of energy you're talking about and how it is being used.

For example, let's look at paper. If paper is cut into several pieces, eachpiece is still paper, even though there is a physical change in the matter that we call paper. If the paper is burned instead of cut, its matter is transformed by the chemical process of combustion, which devides the paper into different atoms. These particles scatter into the atmosphere, leaving only ashes in our hands, but this does not mean the energy that formed the paper was destroyed. What happened was that the different components of the paper were separated but still exist individually in our surroundings, even though we do not see them. That particular form of matter may not exist as paper, but all the particles that formed the paper still exist. Nothing has been lost. The matter of the paper was not destroyed, only transformed.

And if we look at an atom, that's a different type of energy.

Just for thought....

• larc
    larc

Lost Diamond,

You have just given an example of the conservation of matter and the conservation of energy, but I don't understand how your depiction relates to the subject of psychic energy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit