WTS leader rants against higher education

by hoser 125 Replies latest jw friends

• sparky1
    sparky1
    In my opinion, there is something VERY disturbing about Anthony Morris III.
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

I am very interested in this....I can't stomach watching the video, but I want to know how often or strongly they get everyone to watch these videos. My witness niece acted like I was stupid a couple years ago when I mentioned they discourage college. She said 'no they don't!'

Does every witness watch these videos??

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

lrkr - "Also interesting that they are backing off from the old 'universities are dens of immortality and drugs' and saying what they really are scared of 'they will change your thinking'..."

Huh; an uncharacteristic display of honesty.

Who knew?

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

The Watchtower Society's stance against university is grounded in its historical roots.

During the late 1800s and early 1900s, home study courses that were designed to focus on specific trades and bodies of knowledge were developed by the International Correspondence School. These home study courses were promoted as being beneficial because they did not include any other knowledge than that which was applicable to one particular trade.

At about the same time that Thomas Foster was developing ICS' home study courses, Charles Russell published and sold his Home Bible Study course.

Two early cohorts of Russell, Clayton Woodworth and George Fisher, were heavily involved in the ICS. They were both textbook writers for ICS at the time that they wrote The Finished Mystery

Clayton J.Woodworth did much of the writing for The Golden Age magazine and the correspondence school influence is apparent in some of the articles. For example, the Feb. 18, 1920 issue of The Golden Age (pg 339) has an article on the bee keeping industry and at one point in the article the author gives a plug for correspondence schools:

Mail order courses in beekeeping are also to be had for the benefits of those unable to attend college
    The anti-university stance of the WTS has been around since its inception.

• hoser
    hoser

The lawyer interviewed said that after he went to college his wife said he wasn't the man she married.  

Since my wife, the lovely mrs hoser, has been going to college I have noticed some changes too. 

She is way more fun to be around now. 

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I have only just read through this entire thread...and I have to say: "wow! My mind is blown!"

The video is just so obviously "cultish"....

I can not understand how average witnesses don't seem to see the blatant ignorance of such narrow minded thinking. The manipulative thought control, along with 'leading' reasoning is purely astounding!

I have come to the conclusion that if their "minds are blinded" then no matter how much logic is used, they just can't see it!

It would be laughable....if such manipulation did not exact such a tragic toll on so many lives...many of whom are children who have had their lives mapped out by witness parents....

I actually feel genuinely troubled by all of this!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit