Super Bowl Predictions

by WildTurkey 307 Replies latest social physical

• Gopher
    Gopher

LOL @ Funchback saying "I trust me".

The NFL is so unpredictable this year. A team can look hot one week and cold the next. This makes predictions very hard.

The reason I picked the Tampa Bay Buccaneers over your beloved Eagles is because of the old saw that "defense wins championships", and Tampa Bay leads the league with only 196 points allowed.

That having been said, we'll have to see who has the "guts" to grind it out through the tough playoff schedule.

Who knows? Tennessee could even end up representing the AFC, because they're the hottest team going right now (except for Philly), and if it weren't for a one-point loss at Baltimore, they'd be on a 10-game win streak. Perhaps this is the year "super-freak" defensive star Jevon Kearse leads them back to the Super Bowl??? (IMHO a Titan-Eagles Super Bowl would be very intriguing!! This fan loves the way Steve McNair plays quarterback...)

Edited by - Gopher on 24 December 2002 1:52:29

• Funchback
    Funchback

Hi, Gopher.

Let me clarify and let me add something.

TB's defense is very good. Yes, they are ranked #1. However, the Eagles only give up 2 more points per game and the last 6 games the Eagles defense has been on fire. Plus, you cannot dismiss this very important fact about Tampa Bay: They have NEVER won a Playoff game (OR regular season game) in temperatures under 40 degrees. Thus, they WON'T win in Green Bay and they WON'T win in Philly. Their offense is too weak and their climate is too warm.

Regarding Tennessee, they are on a tear right now and they are ticked that they have no one going to the Pro Bowl. They are on a mission. I just think that Oakland is the most experienced team in the AFC and it appears as though Deon Sanders will be joining them for the Playoffs. Still, Deon may not be a major factor.

Clarification: If the Packers lose and the Bucs win, then the Bucs will regain the first round bye and Green Bay will have to host the Wild Card game. The Bucs are going into Chicago to play a very bad Bears team. The temperature will be well under 40. Look for the Bucs to finally snap their drought of not winning in the cold. So, the Bucs WILL get the first round Bye. Green Bay will host the Wild Card.

I am never wrong (except for when I'm not right).

• CC Ryder
    CC Ryder

Hey Funchback and Gopher..good observations. I especially liked your observations of the Titans. Jeff Fisher made a statement about being shunned from the Pro Bowl..the jist of it was..being represented at the Pro Bowl would have been great, but their focus is on winning the last two games, which they already disposed of Jacksonville rather nicely this past weekend. He said if we win out the regular season our next goal is the first playoff game and take one game at a time. Their first game against Philly was one of the best games this year. They lost their intensity though and got too confident..loosing to Cleveland with 14 point lead and 4-minutes to play. The Titans have their intensity back and they are playing better than they did the year they went to the Super Bowl against the Rams. I hope Oakland gets nocked off early, your both right, Oakland will be tuff for the Titans. Titans haven't beat Oakland since that Super Bowl year.

Titans vs Giants in the Super Bowl ( I wish...I wish...I wish) alternate prediction: Oakland vs Tampa Bay

CC

Giants will beat the mess out of the Eagles! Sorry but they are pressure players and the pressure is more on the Giants. If they beat Philly look at them for a serious run at the NFC Championship and a return to the Super Bowl.

• crownboy
    crownboy

dubla, GET OFF THE LEDGE OF THE RAYMOND JAMES BUILDING!!!! Life is still worth living!!!!

Well, well, things certainly change overnight, don't they pal? Can you tell me what Jay Fiedler's record is now? Still think he's Pro Bowl material? Hell, even Favre had a better day, IMO . Are you now willing to concede that the Jets are the bonafide best team in the AFC east, and that Jay Fiedler is nothing but a glorified back up QB? How about Norv Turner's play calling at the end of regulation? 2 pass plays when you've got the NFL's leading rusher on your team AND your main objective is to eat up time? I guess you weren't the only one to put too much faith in Ivy League boy's abilities . Well, I hope the Jets were nice enough to send Adam Vinaterri a game ball or something.

Heaven, aside from abandoning the cheese jacuzzi ( ), you've been awfully silent, now haven't you? Where was that great 3 time MVP, Super Bowl winning QB of yours? I guess he didn't need to throw 3 interceptions,because he wasn't doing much of anything anyway. Chad Pennington thouroughly outplayed your guy, and the Packers got an ass kicking that will hurt for the next 4 years. Are you now willing to concede that the Jets are a far better team than the Packers? Same for you, xenawarrior, will you now trade in the Favre #4 for a Pennington #10?

• dubla
    dubla

crown-

as much as id like to stay away from this thread, im back to face the music, lol. ive actually been in canada for the last two weeks on vacation, but i knew when i got back today that there would be plenty of smack talk on here to come home to. yes, the dolphins once again proved they cannot win late season games that matter, and somehow your jets snuck up to win the afc east......i cannot think of a more painful way to end the season, i really cant. the fact that the jets won the division by default makes it that much harder to swallow............

? Can you tell me what Jay Fiedler's record is now?

yeah, he still owns the highest winning percentage of all active qbs.....not too shabby considering the list that includes (gannon, favre, garcia, mcnabb, etc).

Still think he's Pro Bowl material?

absolutely. did you even watch the dolphins last two games? it was hardly fiedlers fault they lost either. he made some bad throws, but show me a pro-bowl qb that doesnt......he didnt in any way lose either of those two games, hell he didnt even throw a pick against new england. every since oronde went down, defenses have been keying in on chambers, and mcknight/ward/carter just doesnt quite scare anyone, so fiedlers sure had his work cut out for him. i blame him for no part of the slide. its all about the dolphins d falling apart late in the season....its inevitable it seems.

Are you now willing to concede that the Jets are the bonafide best team in the AFC east,

HA! hardly buddy.....the only reason they won it is by default, like i said. the dolphins are a way better team, talent wise, but just dont seem to have the heart to win when it counts. the dolphins and jets met twice this season, and split, with the jets BARELY eeking out a win at home against all of our backups, and the dolphins cruising to one of their easiest victories of the season in their first matchup, with all of their starters. imo, the jets and browns are both unworthy of the playoffs (again, talent wise), and the patriots, broncos, and dolphins are all better teams, but just fell apart at the wrong time.

How about Norv Turner's play calling at the end of regulation? 2 pass plays when you've got the NFL's leading rusher on your team AND your main objective is to eat up time?

yeah, that was a bit weird and frustrating. i guess the thinking was that there were 8 men in the box, and the clock would stop no matter what, with the pats having all three timeouts, but i didnt exactly agree with it either, as ricky was eating up that d all day long. the fact of it is though, we wouldnt even be having this discussion if it werent for one of the worst pass interference calls in the history of the nfl (on fletcher, who didnt even touch the guy) to set up that last pats touchdown.

Well, I hope the Jets were nice enough to send Adam Vinaterri a game ball or something.

well, actually he didnt do anything spectacular, imo.....if you want to send a game ball to a kicker, better send one to mark royals, and one to olindo mare too, considering those two guys basically handed the pats the victory on a silver platter. i still think the refs would be the most deserving of one though.....im sure they had plenty of cash envelopes in their pre-game stockings, probably courtesy of the jets and the patriots.

bottom line in it all is, the dolphins are choke artists, as are the jets normally (see the list on my previous post)......this time you got lucky and your team lives to fight another day. unfortunately for you, your squad will be watching the super bowl from the couch, as will mine, and at the end of it all, youll only have bragging rights by way of a better division record.....not by overall record, and not by head-to-head......so it wont much matter. enjoy it while you can...........id say they earned it, but they didnt (no team that loses to the hapless bears down the stretch earned anything, lol).

aa

• crownboy
    crownboy

Don't worry dubla, I know you secretely wear a Chad Pennington jersey under your clothes .

Well, at least you've got loyalty for your QB. Next you'll be telling me he's better than Dan Marino?

The pass interference call was a toss up. From a non biased point of view, there was contact on both sides, and if I were the ref, I'd probably have let it go. But if a call had to be made, it would definitely be against Fletcher, because he did a little bit more grabbing, IMO. You can't get down on Mare for missing the FG, but that kickoff was ugly. The Royal's shank could be blamed on the fact that he wanted to get it away quickly, but he's a veteran and should have handled it better. On the Vinaterri kick off, Miami was silly for thinking an on side kick was going to happen. If I knew it wasn't coming, what about the coaches?

The Jets will be hoisting the Lombardi trophy come February. The only team that worries me is Oakland, but we almost beat them earlier this year, so I'm not too worried. The Jets usually play better when the play good teams, so they ought to flourish under the playoff spotlight.

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

CHADWICK PENBOY SUCKS.

Our Defense made him look good with all of those pretty mistackles and blown coverage. HE SUCKS HE SUCKS. I look forward to Oakland shelling the JETS. Even sweeter would be a superbowl rematch :) But the JETS wont make it that far because they SUCK.

• dubla
    dubla

crown-

Next you'll be telling me he's better than Dan Marino?

no one in the history of the nfl is better than dan marino.

From a non biased point of view, there was contact on both sides, and if I were the ref, I'd probably have let it go.

first of all, i hardly think your point of view is non-biased, considering you needed a miami loss to have a shot at the post season, lol................contact on both sides? incidental contact, MAYBE. even the announcers said it was a god-awful call, and that no matter the outcome of the game, everyone would be talking about that call the next day. they flat out blew it.

On the Vinaterri kick off, Miami was silly for thinking an on side kick was going to happen. If I knew it wasn't coming, what about the coaches?

i knew it wasnt coming too, and probably the coaches as well. that doesnt change the fact that you simply HAVE to line up to defend the onsides kick if the other squad is lined up in onsides formation. if you dont, they can always change their mind and go ahead with the onsides kick.....not a risk any team is willing to make. they couldve put at least one or two more blockers back with minor though.

The Jets will be hoisting the Lombardi trophy come February.

that is by far the funniest thing youve said on here yet! the jets shouldnt even be in the playoffs, and they cant match up with 80% of the teams in, especially on the road. theyve got a shot at winning one game, and thats only because manning is famous for his playoff chokes, and the jets are playing at home for the wildcard. IF they make it past the colts, i give them about a zero percent chance of making it past the second round, and thats because like crazy says, they really do suck.

aa

Edited by - dubla on 3 January 2003 9:55:2

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

I'm not so sure about that - they are the most 'on fire' team right now. I agree that they have not yet demostrated the ability to make a solid run, but the way they have played over the past few weeks shows that right now, they are one very dangerous team. And right now is what counts. They will roll over the Colts with ease this week. The fishy dudes were oh so close this year, but I think that the coaches need to adjust their calenders next year a month behind - so in Dec the fish think it's Nov and will continue to play.

As for the super bowl, I'm tossed between Tenn and Raiders making it from the AFC - both are on fire this year, but the Raiders have history and the NFL commisioner playing against them which makes me give the nod to Tenn. As for the NFC I think it'll probably be the Eagles especially if they get McNabb back.

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Oh I forgot to say to dubla ....

<pllluuuuubbbbbffffffff>

Better break out the Chad P jersey for this weekend

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit