Officer Wilson not indicted in killing of Michael Brown

by Simon 551 Replies latest social current

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

I get your reasoning, ADCMS. But you didn't grow up in the 'projects'. You aren't followed in the grocery store by security. You have no concept of growing up in a place where you CAN'T get educated, where people see you and are instantly 'afraid' because you are of a darker colour.

Behavior trumps race when it comes to how a person is treated by others, and security personnel in particular.

A person walking around at night in a grocery store with a hoodie drawn over his or her face is going to get followed by security regardless of race. It won't matter whether the person is black or white, or lives in the projects or Beverly Hills.

A person who walks around dressed like a gang member is going to be watched as a potential gang member. It won't matter whether the person is black or white, or lives in the projects or Beverly Hills.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

I undersatnd your personal bias. You are most likely, white and middle class. 'Nuff said!

Now that statement represents a clear-cut piece of racial generalization. It helps nothing.

"I understand your personal bias. You are most likely black because my bias tells me blacks hold the bias I attribute to you."

How does that work for whoever authored the statement quoted above?

• talesin
    talesin

Marvin, after a few years , I think I hear you. Dammit it's so hard to lve in a culture where young thugs have the power.

That's all, Im tired from my pneumonia, but wanted to make a 'post for peace.' that's all

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

To talesin:

I'm going to paraphrase a true story which reveals the fallacious nature of your claims, Re: "geography" and skin color hamstring a person's opportunities and choices in life.

---

Two sibling brothers (incidentally, black men) grew up with an abusive, alcoholic father who ended up in federal prison serving a life sentence for murder.

One brother ended up in prison himself for various felonies; the other brother became a self-made millionaire, pillar of the community with a happy, successful family.

A psychologist interviewed both brothers (one still in prison) independently; neither brother knew the other was being interviewed, therefore, one's answers could not influence the other's.

The psychologist recorded each brother's version of their life experiences, and at the end of the interview he asked them both one question: "how is it that you ended up where you are in life right now?"

They both gave the identical answer: "With a father and upbringing like mine, what choice did I have?"

• JeffT
    JeffT

When we're stopped we know to be respectful and polite to the police because it's common sense, nothing to do with race.

Some of us were taught to be polite and respectful to everybody.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I've worked in some of the poorest, crime and gang-ridden areas of this country (namely Newark NJ).

The first thing I see is the little kids. Toddlers, five year olds - super cute innocent kids!

And I look around and the filith they are surrounded by. . . . and I think to myself: How do they even stand a chance? How can anything good come out of a shithole like this?

And the thing is, they are lots of good people too, people who are just stuck with this shit because they were born into it too.

So, yeah, I do get the societal problem. It is shameful, particularly in the most wealthy country in the world. . . . run by a bunch of folks who largely identify as "Christians." It is absolute bullshit.

But to conflate societal woes with the behavior of an individual who chose to behave in a way that would almost certainly get anyone killed just does not make sense.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

anddon'tcallmeshirley

so what was the psychologist arguing for? the example you give could just as easily support as it could contradict what talesin is saying cos modern society wants to ensure that everyone succeeds to a certain extent even those who could end up in prison and thats why it structures life in such a way as to make it likely. So the psychologist could go on to ask what structures were implicated in one brother ending up in prison and the other being so rich as to be a millionaire? and what does psychology have to offer?

edit: btw it was nice to see Darren Wilson speak on the news today - putting a human face on the tragedy - and i must say he doesn't look much older than Micahel brown.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

so what was the psychologist arguing for?

He wasn't arguing for anything. He was simply illustrating by a real life example that, regardless of a person's background, they do have choices in life. Using your background as a crutch to become a criminal, be a failure, etc. is a self-limiting choice, not a foregone conclusion.

So the psycholoigst could ask what structures were implicated in one brother ending up in prison and the other being so rich as to be a millionaire?

If, by "structures" you mean what was each brother's thinking pattern, that is precisely the point of the story. One brother framed his background to mean he had no choice but to become a criminal just like his father; the other brother framed his experience to motivate him to be the exact opposite of his father.

In case you missed the point, each brother lives in the same country (USA) and grew up in the exact same circumstances. So the argument that a person's experiences and "geography" (growing up in a "thug-rich" environment) determine his life is pure nonsense.

I don't know if you are asking a clarifying point or looking for something to argue about. I related a true story. Either accept it or don't.

and what does psychology have to offer?

Really?

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

another question (and this question may resonate with what designs is arguing about) would be to ask is did one brother get sent to prison becasue he got caught and the other one became a millionaire because he did not get caught

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

another question (and this question may resonate with what designs is arguing about) would be to ask is did one brother got caught and was sent to prison and the other one became a millionaire because he did not get caught

I hope this is not a serious question.

It's now obvious why you agree with talesin...

Instead of blurting out a ridiculous question which appears to have no lucid thought behind it whatsoever, why not read my explanation first instead of fantasizing about what you think the story should be about?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit