Officer Wilson not indicted in killing of Michael Brown

by Simon 551 Replies latest social current

• Shanagirl
    Shanagirl

Terry, i agree with all you say about the difference between the work and education ethics of Asian and African Americans. I think it's more of a cultural issue also. African Americans have a victim complex in their culture that has been passed down from the days of slavery. The Asian culture is more family centered and face saving ethics are passed down thru their culture. Face is all important in Asian Culture. Also, after hearing the parents of MB being interviewed, and seeing the behavior of the step father, it's little wonder that MB evolved into the troublesome bully and petty thief he was. "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree" so to speak.

Shana

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Just last week I was talking to a girl who is a senior in high school and making plans for college. She wanted to talk because she was scared that maybe she wasn't cut out for college and that she wouldn't make it since she's 'not smart like the whites and asians.' (She is Pacific Islander. and she is plenty smart.) This broke my heart. We are surrounded with these messages...

as an aside, has anyone read "Whistling Vivaldi" by Claude Steel? It is about stereotype threat. It shows many studies that confirm the effect is very, very strong.

Told that golf was a test of 'natural athletic ablity' white golfers golfed much worse than when they were told nothing, but this did not happen for African American golfers. Told that golf was a test of "sports strategic intellegence" the African American golfers golfed much worse than when told nothing at all, but this did not happen for the white students. When the stereotype was indirectly suggested, the golfers unconsciously confirmed the stereotype. This happened over and over. It is a really interesting book, short and easy to read, and talks about how to reduce the effects of sterotype threat. I highly recommend it.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

You're simplifying what composes a "person" to a large degree - yes, you're probably right.

Isn't there also a danger of overanalysing a situation, too?

Take Japan. At the end of WW2 Japan was humiliated - not just due to the human deaths and effects of the two atomic bombs but also due to the Japanese Emperor, believed to be divine, renouncing his divinity. Why is Japan so successful today? Why is it not languishing in squalor?

• Pacopoolio
    Pacopoolio

Japan is its own soveriegn nation (along with Germany) - it can't really be compared to a marginalized group within a nation.

Throughout the world, and history, the result of oppressed people tends to be similar. Native Americans are similar to a lot of Aboriginal groups in the same number of generations. South Africans freed for apartheid have conditions now that are a mix of freed slaves and American blacks in the 60s. Ethnic minorities in many African and Arab nations have similar problems. Etc.

Unless the contention is that there's some kind of default or prevalent difference between the races psychologically as a genetic default, it has to have something to do with how humanity as a whole reacts when exposed to certain conditions, as there are so many parallels currently, and through history.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

I seriously doubt you'd find any conservative leaning blacks among the protesters. Why do you suppose that is? The fact is, liberalism has continued to fuel the black victimhood mentality, and has done more to keep the average black family down then anything else in the last 30 years.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Why is Japan so successful today? Why is it not languishing in squalor?

Anybody following this thread would be well within their rights to ask "What has Japan got to do with it?"

However, as the question has been raised, I will say that Japan's revival to its present level is attributable in no small way to the attitude and approach of its post-WWII occupying power:

- and in particular, General Douglas McArthur.

Certainly, Japan was humiliated, but it could have been humiliated much, much worse - with the country kept stamped down into the dirt for generations afterwards. However, McArthur very wisely avoided doing that. Instead, the country's economic revival was not only permitted, it was actually promoted by the allied occupation (with Douglas McArthur at its head).

For an excellent discussion about this, Theodore White's "American Caesar" is a very informative read.

Bill.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Pacopoolio - although I find it hard to believe you've stopped to consider fully just how much of a blow WW2 was for Japan, you make an excellent point about Japan being its own sovereign nation. You're right, Japanese people were never a downtrodden minority so point taken, I accept your point.

Moving on, then, to the Kurds. These people have been downtrodden and persecuted. Apart from a brief blip (1920-1923) they've never ruled themselves.

Out of all the ethnic groups in Iraq and Syria, it is the Kurds who have worked the hardest at embracing democracy, and have been the bravest in defending their homeland from Islamist scum.

Why?

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@Pacopoolio:

Thanks for the response. I have little time to actually post anymore. When you first responded, it was Thanksgiving, and I had to head over to the in-law's house for Thanksgiving dinner... err, I mean ... since my FIL is an elder, it wasn't really that. Don't worry, we had ham instead of turkey, so no need to call the elders... the other elders, that is. :)

Now for your responses:

This shows a complete lack of understanding of social conditioning.

I don't think it shows any lack of understanding. First, notice my response had nothing to do with social conditioning. It was purely underscoring a statistical falacy that has been repeated over and over ad-nauseam in order to justify more legislation - legislation that will not work and has never worked. It was Designs that stated "Women in the private professional sectors earning 30% less than a man doing equal work..." This was stated after a plethora of comments trying to underscore all the social and economic inequalities in the world, in a thread about MB, after repeated attempts by some other posters to get him/her to just state the point in a clear fashion. It is not hard to see what Designs was pushing for.

There is no -one reason-. This is just basic, basic, basic sociology; first level classes.

Go back and read my comment again. The very idea of my comment was to underscore the very same idea you make above, except it had more of an economic slant than a sociological one. The statistic of "women make 30% less than men for equal work" is calculated by taking women as an aggregate, and then attributing "equal work" and the average wage to the entire group. In other words, it is a falacious generalization, most likely created to prop up more government intervention into a "failed" market. However, when you realize that the income gap comes directly from some of the free choices made by women, then this horrible moral injustice vanishes. In other words, there are other causes, there is no "-one reason-" for this, and more importantly, none of the reasons for the income gap has anything to do with an effort by society to hold women down. Because women have choices, and because they have the babies (biological fact), women tend to leave and enter the work force with huge gaps in between jobs. Also, they tend to choose vocations that will work well with a family, or they get part time work, which would of couse pay less. Or choose benfits over wages. It has been shown that if you take men vs. women, in the same job, with the same number of years, no gaps, similar accomplishments, no kids, etc., the gap goes away and sometimes women make more. I'll post one source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_pQ7KXv0o0.

But now onto your sociological comments:

AGAIN, there are a huge mix of conditions that create conditions like the wage disparity. A HUGE condition, that you completely seem to have missed, even though it's pretty obvious, is that, from a young age, girls are conditioned to be more meek and unassertive than males, combined with a double standard of women that act assertive as compared to males, that makes them less likely to demand higher pay and career advancement.

I am not sure if I accept your generalization about little girls being taught to be meek. But suppose I do, and suppose we change "meek" to "submissive" (because meekness doesn't necessaily imply being a push-over), I don't think it would be a "HUGE" condition, like you state. After all, if you can remove this huge income gap by considering other factors (it depends more on a family, marriage, kids, etc), then this type of behavior can't be statistically significant. Therefore I would change your "HUGE" to a "really tiny". Further, it is not the case that wage increases come from "asking for a raise" alone. Most of the time it is because another employer will bid up your wage and draw you off. This market force has very little to do with meekness.

This isn't high level stuff - it's just like people just completely ignore the conditioning and brain development that creates the adult, that happens from 0-16, and think that everyone shares the same privilege as themselves. This doesn't take college to understand, it's just dropping the ego, and realizing that what made you, you, is based on a combination of factors from the outside that hit you throughout your life, the most important, being in childhood.
    Earlier in this and other threads, you have people making assertions like, "They were given horrible diets as children, stifling their brain development and screwing with their decision making, but why didn't they make the same choices as middle class white male, they had all the opportunities in the world!"

Who says I do not understand this? It is completely obvious that there are differences among people. Some people will have good upbringing, some will not. Some will have good childhood conditions, some poor. Some will be born physically fit, and some will be born deformed. This is life, and nobody, seems to be denying this.

But - so what? Would you say that because a child like MB may have grown up in a poor neighborhood, laws should not apply equally in his case? Should they be "relaxed" for him? Are we supposed to say, "Well, he didn't eat right as a child, and look! - his parents weren't that great, therefore we need to give him some chances when it comes to theft and assult."? If you are really saying this, and I hope you are not, then think of the incentives this will create among the community.

Just like women get paid less (on aggregate) because of their life choices, MB was shot because of his choices. It is not right to say, "MB made poor choices because of XYZ, THEREFORE, if he attacks an officer, threathens the officer's life, it is unlawful or even improper to shoot MB." I simply don't think your sociolocal argument matters - you attack a police officer and threaten his (or her) life, you can be lawfully shot. Actually, I would say this about anymore, police officer or not. You attack someone with clear intent of hurting/killing that person, and that person has a gun, and you are shot dead - that is a consequence of your choice. We learned this with TVM.

MMM

• Violia
    Violia

Just being poor is a minority. There is such hatred of the poor. I saw this growing up . Everytime my parents had to take us to a doctor and beg the doctor to see us on credit, it was just degrading. They would humilate you in ways I still can feel. My sibling lost use of a sensory organ due to lack of care from a doctor. There was NO sure thing as they HAD to see you in the ER. That is NOW. ( even now they triage you and THEY decide if it is an emergency -not you) County hospitals treated the poor like criminals until HIV came along. With the new customers being of a higher social level ( and gay) and used to not being treated like cattle- well, Parkland's bad treatment of the poor made the paper. How could this be? It BE alright and the poor knew it all along . The Poor included white, blacks mexicans & everyone else. Everyone else ( not poor ) was shocked but not the poor. It only subsided briefly, it still goes on.

Being Poor trumps being black or any other minority.

If anyone cares to read how the poor white class has become what they are, white blacks , check out this book

http://www.amazon.com/Not-Quite-White-Boundaries-Whiteness/dp/0822338734/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1417288707&sr=8-9&keywords=white+trash#customerReviews

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

The case of the Kurds is something else again.

Over the millenia, they have actually held powerful positions as co-rulers in the various empires.

For example, in Biblical times, the Persian Empire was known more correctly as the Medo-Persian Empire, with the Medes (i.e. allies of the Persians) being the modern day Kurds.

Later, during the time of the Crusades, the Saracen leader, Saladin, was in fact a Kurd.

In many ways, their case could be compared to the United Kingdom, where, at various times either Welshmen (as in David Lloyd George) or Scots (as in the cases of Campbell-Bannerman and Ramsay McDonald) served a sprime ministers of Great Britain.

Bill.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit