Officer Wilson not indicted in killing of Michael Brown

by Simon 551 Replies latest social current

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

There's no doubt racism still exists in the USA. News flash: racism exists everywhere in some form or another regardless of how enlightened a person or society thinks they are. And, IMO, as I have already said, this nonsense in Ferguson has less to do with purported racial issues than it does with Neanderthals capitalizing on a situation to act out on their dysfunctional, go-nohwere, destructive lives, nothing more.

What irks me more than anything is when black people lament their lot in life in 2014- the age of Tiger Woods, Colin Powell, Denzel Washington, and for god's sake, Obama- and act as if they are still living in 18th/19th century America- still slaves, still without hope, forever trodden down by "the man". If that was true, then we wouldn't have Tiger Woods, Colin Powell, Denzel Washington, and for god's sake, Obama.

Perhaps the biggest problem with some people is not what has actually happened in the past but the fact they simply can't let it go. I challenge anyone to find any race, nationality or color of people that has not somehow gotten a bad deal somewhere in history. I'm sure I could find many events in history highlighting how Scandanavians have been abused or been victims of racism, then use it as an excuse to loot my neighbor's business and burn down my neighborhood.

The difference with the vast majority of people on this planet and the troglodytes in Ferguson is: everyone else has moved on.

• Simon
    Simon

including the current stats from the police department in St. Louis.

Well, stats can prove lots of things. What does it mean when a group that is 12% of the population commits over 50% of homicides for instance? Does it prove that they are all violent criminals or all victims?

I think of Josie (MRs Jones), the most reasonable of posters, talking about how her son(s) have been taught to ALWAYS kow tow to the police, because, even thought they are GOOD CITIZENS, they may be profiled, and fuck, man, KILLEd because of some yahoo cop who fears people of colour.

Really? Can you show cases where the cops have stopped a car and just shot kids for being black? When we're stopped we know to be respectful and polite to the police because it's common sense, nothing to do with race. They are just doing their difficult job, no need to take it personally. Wouldn't it be better to teach kids to just be polite and respectful to everyone all the time?

I remember the "I was followed in a store when carrying an iPad, it must be bacause I am black". So when I'm followed and watched after picking up an iPad is it because I am white? No, guess what - it's because you have a small but expensive piece of the stores stock that they don't want stolen. It's only about your color if you belive it is unless you have proof otherwise and "how I see it" is not proof.

Was this man responsible for his own demise? In my opinion, he acted foolishly, and violently, and for that he was killed. I can understand the police officer's fear and automatic response to his life being threatened by a BIG MAN who, apparently, had no intent of being law-abiding. The cop was probably in fear of his life, and followed his training. I don't think the police officer did anything 'wrong' ........... other than responding to a thread to his personal safety, in the only way he could, in the situation.

So at least the evidence has convinced you and we won't get this case waved around as proof of something that it isn't.

I don't like cops, in general, but it's hard to see this situation in a favorable light with regards to Mr. Brown.

Hmmnn, judging people because of their appearance ... that reminds me of something ... but what ...

So if you don't like cops because "some cop once did something bad" is that any different to someone else not liking blacks because "some black guy robbed me once"? Are you for judging people based on appearance or aren't you? When you group all cops as one you are doing exactly what you criticise other for doing.

Simon, you are originally British - doesn't classism offend you? Surprised. (and not sarcastically, just really).

I can be offended and voice my opinion against something, even vote to have things abolished and see gradual change happening. Do I need to riot and loot or march around shouting? Not sure that would accomplish anything right now because there are no laws that need to be changed by conflict.

• talesin
    talesin

I get your reasoning, ADCMS. But you didn't grow up in the 'projects'. You aren't followed in the grocery store by security. You have no concept of growing up in a place where you CAN'T get educated, where people see you and are instantly 'afraid' because you are of a darker colour.

You can 'let it go'. But the black kid, who is born in East LA and will forever be labelled because he received a poor education, and was labelled a 'thug' because of geography, may beg to differ.

t

• talesin
    talesin

I can be offended and voice my opinion against something, even vote to have things abolished and see gradual change happening. Do I need to riot and loot or march around shouting? Not sure that would accomplish anything right now because there are no laws that need to be changed by conflict.

Ummm, that has nothing to do with the roots of classism, Simon. I was merely referencing that you *might* have a greater insight into "why" this is happening, because of the system in your country of origin, which elevates the "higher classes" and negates the poor.

t

• Simon
    Simon

Perhaps the biggest problem with some people is not what has actually happened in the past but the fact they simply can't let it go. I challenge anyone to find any race, nationality or color of people that has not somehow gotten a bad deal somewhere in history. I'm sure I could find many events in history highlighting how Scandanavians have been abused or been victims of racism, then use it as an excuse to loot my neighbor's business and burn down my neighborhood. The difference with the vast majority of people on this planet and the troglodytes in Ferguson is: everyone else has moved on.

I agree. It's like people believe there is some big cosmic pendulum of justice that has to swing farther to the opposite side to make up for a swing the other way in the past. Positive discrimination is still discrimination. I can see the point of it up to a point to give people opportunities but when it starts trying to be imposed into the justice system there is something very very wrong happening.

These individual cases are being used as surrogates for past racial injustices and they cannot be. The Crumps and Sharptons know they cannot but promote the idea anyway and stir up the past to incite already tense situations further. If there are injustices happening then collect evidence and present it, prosecute people for it, enact laws to protect against it. Don't try and frame some poor guy who has done nothing wrong but wear the same uniform that you claim someone else misrepresented. It's little different to seeing all black people the same and treating them based on color and not what they do.

Whatever happened to the civil rights trial of the century? That's right - it fizzled out. Because it was not based on anything but wishful thinking by people who seem desparate to have some incidents of racism happen but the best ones they come up with are the lamest weakest examples you could possibly imagine. They are driven by racism.

When people do commit crimes with racial motivations they are caught and punished - when the guy shot into the car of black kids he was improsoned for life. And yet this too is waved around as some sort of proof that the system is corrupt.

I wonder, if the police are so bad and the problem as some claim, wouldn't the communities be better to ask for no policing to be done in their area? Imagine how that would work out ...

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

tal: And since I don't "LIVE" in America. I am ignorant.

followed by:

tal: But the black kid, who is born in East LA and will forever be labelled because he received a poor education, and was labelled a 'thug' because of geography, may beg to differ.

How is it that you seemingly know what it's like, considering you are "ignorant" of America, are not black, have never lived in L.A., are Canadian and a female?

Your fantastical musings do provide a good belly laugh, however.

Maybe if black people, and the whitey's who prop them up, would stop using the word "can't", all these alleged barriers would suddenly evaporate by nothing more than a little more thinking "can do". Amazing how that works.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

"You can 'let it go'. But the black kid, who is born in East LA and will forever be labelled because he received a poor education, and was labelled a 'thug' because of geography, may beg to differ."

That "black kid who was born in East LA" probably thinks that way because of his "poor education" and may have been told that he will be forever labeled, however, Talesin what about all of the other black individuals who have overcome all different kinds of adversity that they may have been born into and made success of their lives?

LRG

• Simon
    Simon

I was merely referencing that you *might* have a greater insight into "why" this is happening, because of the system in your country of origin, which elevates the "higher classes" and negates the poor.

Yes, I have insights but it doesn't follow that the opinions that they contribute to need to agree with yours.

You look at something and see it as completely black and white. The class system has many things to be criticised for but not everything it does can be labelled as evil, some of what it has contributed is good.

You have to look at things holistically. Going round screaming "police all bad" isn't realistic or helpful just as going round screaming "behead the upper classes" achieves little unless you happen to be a French revolutionary.

Not only do they not achieve anything, they contribute to negative outcomes which is why a more reasoned approach is better if you truly care about an issue or a cause.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

tal: ...labelled a 'thug' because of geography

A person gets labelled a "thug" by their actions, not their geography.

You are taking the coward's approach and creating excuses for bad behavior....

• talesin
    talesin

lol, you are really cherry-picking now!

just so I can reply, can you reference that quote by page?

LMAO!

Or, if you choose not to do that, we shall just let it stand. It's kinda funny, and lol, that's all FOLKS!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit