ALERT: NEW LAWSUIT settlement - $13 MILLION

by Watchtower-Free 300 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• cofty
    cofty

If you ignore BOTR he will go away

She

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

In fairness, BOTR may have been responding to my comment above. I searched the three listed and found nothing. It's on Yahoo, but I wouldn't consider that a main news source. It was on local California news stations. I was just wondering why it doesn't seem to be big news. I know jw are not a big deal on the grand scale, but most people know one and they are often the butt of jokes ... Just wondered. I think it's a big deal.

• Gentledawn
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

I think BOTR is entitled to her opinion, as one of only a few attorneys here I am always interested in what she has to say, however she had admitted she hasn't really read up on the case, so her opinion is just that, one person's opinion. Obviously there are a lot of legal issues involved, ultimately it is the courts that will decide the outcome anyway. As with any case, being as fault and being able to prove liability are two different things.

What is important to me is that the practices of the Watchtower are being exposed. Even if this lawsuit does not ultimately prevail, it's letting others see how they operate. I doubt the Watchtower cares that much about the money, they have been happy to pay off victims before, as long as they could keep everything a secret. It's just the cost of doing business for them, so they are probably more worried about the publicity. Maybe that is why they wouldn't cooperate, they would rather pay up than provide what they requested, maybe they know those documents have information that would be even more damming and create even more publicity.

There have been numerous outlets carrying the story, so it's not just local news. I posted a comment on one of them, there were also JWs defending the Watchtower, I got one very irate response to my comment, which made me happy. It's nice to know that at least some JWs are finding out about it.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

You can't even get decent press coverage. It is a small sum compared to Roman Catholic awards. The press is going to report stories that affect people on a national basis. Maybe they will cover it when reporting sexual abuse elsewhere. JWs are not a major religion. I believe the NYT may print it if it is held up on appeal. People can write letters to the editor and mention the award. Newspapers that did not print it originally may print the article. I am not being a wet blanket. There are major issues in the legal system. A $13 million award means the insurance companies will raise their rates for everyone.Society pays for these massive damage awards. The WTBTS may be self-insured, however. The issue of whether there should be quick resolution of such disputes with lower compensation through arbitration and mediation remains. Many states have doctor shortages b/c of the trend towards large awards. I was glad to have my personal injury claim arbitrated. The decision was final and the check arrived promptly. Courts are congested. This is not news to any informed person.

Of course, not showing up for discovery should be sanctioned by any court. First Amendment rights could have been asserted. It makes wonder what they are hiding. Perhaps there is nothing. Reports of secret pedophile databases here have never been confirmed. I also have never read an elder coming forth publicly with what WT Legal told him to do.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Reports of secret pedophile databases here have never been confirmed.

You mean other than a BBC interview which confirmed its existence but not the number of names in it?

I also have never read an elder coming forth publicly with what WT Legal told him to do.

You should ask Bill Bowden why he left the Witnesses. (spoiler alert: it invalidates your comment)

Seriously, you should really read up on this topic before speaking in absolutes. It makes you look foolish.

• sir82
    sir82

you should really read up on this topic before speaking in absolutes. It makes you look foolish.

She's said she's only willing to do so if you pay her.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Not to jump on the hog pile, but the comments of a certain poster on this thread resemble the musings of a chatbot.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Paralipomenon, you nailed it with this:

'Maybe you can only see dollar signs, but for some it is about finally being able to stand up for themselves and to stop being a victim. For him, at least, it is hitting the Watchtower in the only place where they feel pain, in the wallet.'

I personally want to see WT bleed...but that's just me!

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

$10 million judgements sounds like easy money to me. If judges like punishing the Watchtower for contempt of court, may be attorneys should learn what the Watchtower is afraid to give to the courts? With numerous opportunities to sue the Watchtower, I would keep asking for the same thing from the Watchtower for every lawsuit with the expectation that judges would peanlize the Watchtower for contempt of court.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit