ALERT: NEW LAWSUIT settlement - $13 MILLION

by Watchtower-Free 300 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• designs
    designs

Yahoo News is carrying the $13.5 million verdict as a top story. The local southern California newspapers are carrying the story as well.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Big question: Does the Watchtower Corporation even have the right to appeal seeing that they defied court orders and were nolonger legally able to present a defense? Or simply put: can they appeal?

• designs
    designs

This case is like trying to grab an eel.

I guess the Wt. Leaders don't want a repeat of Fred Franz and the Scottish Trial.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Rocky Copley, Esq. (To the Court): "These are just men who get together and discuss spirìtual concepts. That is it. It's like the Dalai Lama. The Dalai Lama, for their religion.

I'm a little puzzled why the Dalai Lama defense would be a sound angle of argument. The Dalai Lama is an actual person, and I get the impression that Watchtower lawyers were trying to argue that the Governing Body is simply a spiritual entity that can't be brought to court.

On another note, Watchtower has made many remarks regarding the Dalai Lama. To them he is a substitute for God; they have called him a 'god-king,' and a 'god among men who is deified and reverenced.' Here are 2 quotes from the Watchtower, but there are many more.

"...Tibet’s exiled Buddhist “god-king,” the Dalai Lama." (Watchtower 8-1-1990, page 22)

"...many men and women alive today are raised to the position of gods among men; they are deified and reverenced and hailed as saviors and world benefactors. This goes not only for political figures...but also for religious figures such as...the Dalai or Grand Lama of Tibet." (Watchtower 11-1-1951, page 656)

By making the Dalai Lama argument, the lawyers were acknowleging that the Governing Body is a god-like entity that is to be deified, reverenced, and viewed as a savior. We all knew that the GB has made itself a substitute for God and Christ (savior), but to see Watchtower admit it is kind of satisfying.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

designs that is exactly what I have been thinking since reading yesterday that Losch pulled a no-show for his deposition.

The mountain of material that would have come out of a GB member being deposed is just too great for them to bear. They would rather risk paying out millions then have their base eroded by the inevitable fallout from the deposition falling into the hands of the public.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

GB No Show = Cowardice

All the heroes of the Bible showed up for their court trials, even when the verdict was a foregone conclusion.

Jesus didn't run away and hide from the Sanhedrin. Why did Lösch? Because he's a coward. They're all cowards, every last one of them. - Revelation 21:8

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Anyone have an answer to this question:

What committee does WT legal fall under? What GB or GBs oversee WT legal if it's not under any of the above mentioned committees?

Thank you for your help.

• metatron
    metatron

I have tried to read all six pages of this thread, including all negative comments by BOTR (who puzzles me as to her "I haven't read...." comments !!!!!!!!)

Can anyone offer a reasoned opinion as to what the f**k the Watchtower thinks they are doing? Or what outcome they sanely expect?

This whole thing looks bizarre. You just don't arrogantly defy a court and expect to get away with it !!! Covington must be rolling in his grave.

I am aghast and can only offer a remark I heard from a long term Bethelite some time ago to the effect that the Society had to make changes to their legal structure because of fear of having a GB member being forced to take the witness stand in court. The context seemed to be that many GB members would be an embarrassment to the Organization if this happened - as in 'they're a couple fries short of a Happy Meal" (my characterization of what he told me).

Seriously folks, does anybody have a clear explanation of what happened? If this lawyer has "20" other clients, then YES, we could see a tidal wave of litigation hit the Watchtower - involving some pissed off judges.

metatron

• cofty
    cofty

How much would you love to see a member of the GB on the stand being grilled by a tenacious lawyer?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I would love it love it love it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit