ALERT: NEW LAWSUIT settlement - $13 MILLION

by Watchtower-Free 300 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• sir82
    sir82

Does anybody know more details about the WTS apparently being "barred from being present" as indicated in the video of the link in the OP?

To my untrained ear, that certainly sounds like grounds for appeal.

But I'm also sure there is more to it than what a 3 second sound bite can deliver.

• Londo111
    Londo111

marked

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

These settlement amounts in the millions is this a USA court thing? I know of some cases in Canada, but they are not in the millions of dollars. Does anyone know of any case in Canada that was awarded this sum?

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

why would it be so difficult to keep out of affairs of personal natures such as these and people simply call the law and deal with these crimes like everyone else does?

WT doesn't have a great record of minding its own business. Know-it-alls tend to have an opinion on everything.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

These settlement amounts in the millions is this a USA court thing? I know of some cases in Canada, but they are not in the millions of dollars. Does anyone know of any case in Canada that was awarded this sum?

Yeah, us 'mericans! love to litigate. And it's not worth no one's time unless someone gets a couple mil'

Normally I'm pretty disgusted at the size of the settlements/rulings awarded to people (a great example is when someone was awarded millions because they spilled McDonald's coffee on themselves) but in this case I'm OK with it.

Bleed 'em dry. Death by a thousand cuts.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

San Diego is a big area hope this info gets around to the several million people living there.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

They say they detest child abuse yet in northern California it was in the news a while back that a young girl was molested by an elder. He denied it and the family apparently told to keep quiet. They did not and went to police, so the whole family was df'd . The elder eventually went to prision.

• BU2B
    BU2B

Do you have the refrence to that case Crazyguy? Can you PM it to me please?

• sir82
    sir82

Here is a link to another San Diego's station's coverage, with a different video:

http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/135M-settlement-for-child-sex-abuse-victim-Church-accused-of-cover-up-281076722.html

The narrator says "In just a few hours from now, the WTBTS will pay 13.5 million to the victim".

I assume she misspoke - if they are going to appeal the decision, how is it they will be paying "in just a few hours"?

• DNCall
    DNCall

From what I can tell so far, this is not a settlement but a judgment. WT would not appeal a settlement but they do appeal adverse judgments. The coverage on San Diego 6 is very poor in this regard. Also, WT settlements are usually, if not always, confidential. Confidentiality is an important requirement of the settlements they enter into. Oviously, this is not confidential.

If you want to track this case and its history you can logon to the San Diego Superior Court website under Register of Actions. The case number is 37-2012-00099849. WT has hired the same appellate attorney who is representing them in the Candace Conti matter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit