ALERT: NEW LAWSUIT settlement - $13 MILLION

by Watchtower-Free 300 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Sir82: Maybe they're thinking "We're going to lose no matter what. But this way, we can spin it to the R&F JWs that it is 'persecution', that 'Satan is controlling the courts - why look - they won't even let us present our case! how unfair!' The idiots will eat it up and we'll come out looking good ...

Well, it's been done before.

A lesson from WT history:

*** w99 2/1 p. 17 par. 14 Our Treasure in Earthen Vessels ***

Joseph F. Rutherford, who had temporarily been a judge in Missouri, became the next president. As a result of his fearless advocacy of Bible truth, Christendom’s clergy joined forces with politicians in “framing trouble by decree.” On June 21, 1918, Brother Rutherford and seven other leading Bible Students were jailed, with multiple concurrent sentences of 10 or 20 years. The Bible Students fought back. (Psalm 94:20; Philippians 1:7) On appeal, they were released on March 26, 1919, and were later completely exonerated [a fat fib] of the false [true] charge of sedition. This experience served to mold them into stalwart advocates of truth. With Jehovah’s help, they left no stone unturned to win out in the spiritual fight to proclaim the good news despite the opposition of Babylon the Great.

ScenicViewer, thanks for transcribing an excerpt of Mr. Zalkin's interview.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

They will only get money. Today's new is tomorrow's forgotten stories. A man in his forties had abundant opportunities to come forward as an adult. Proof burdens remain. Evidence is old. People's recollections suffer. These cases need to be pursued when evidence is fresh. If you come forward in your forties, money is probably a factor.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

If you come forward in your forties, money is probably a factor.

If you come forward with a lawyer, money is almost always the factor.

Doc

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

WT Legal didn't want GB Losch to testify....money was probably a factor!!!

I'm sorry let me correct that....WT Legal didn't want GB Losch to testify....millions of money was a factor!!!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

They were probably fearful of putting their demi god GB member under scrutiny and possible media attention .

Thats why they try and keep the GB out of these high profile legal battles.

Paying out and keeping quiet about the event serves them better from their own self serving perspective.

We all know Satan and his evil forces run the media anyways. right

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

SV - in response to our exchange on the last page - thanks for posting those quotes from Zalkin / news sources on the appeals decisions in this case. I didn't have a chance to respond earlier, but I think I've gotten to the bottom of it. The decisions by the California Appellate Court and the California Supreme Court were summary orders that refused to intervene, and did not substantively consider whether the judge was correct in issuing her discovery orders

The first indicator to me was the tone of Zalkin's own comments. He was somewhat vague about what these appeals courts did. Plaintiffs' lawyers are promoters. It's part of their job. If one of these higher courts not only said he was right, but explained WHY he was right, he would have spoken about it at every opportunity, including on the podcast.

I also ran an electronic database search today. Written opinions by state appeals and supreme courts are almost always available on an electronic legal database. Nothing there. The answer can be found in these dockets entries from the California Appellate Court, here and here.

On each, docket, you can see that on 3/27/14, there is an entry that says:

The petition for writ of mandate, request for stay and real party's opposition to the stay have been read and considered by Justices Haller, McDonald and McIntyre. The petition is denied.

Thus, a writ of mandate was denied through a summary order on the papers (e.g., they never had the lawyers in to court to argue it, and the panel of 3 appeals justices did not write an opinion explaining the reasons for their decision). Then, you can also see that on 5/21/14 (in the second docket link above) the CA Supreme Court denied a petition for review.

Just to briefly summarize, the writ of mandate is a sort of request for an emergency appeal, that is only granted in rare circumstances, regardless of whether there might be merit to the appeal. In most cases, judges will issue various orders along the way. However, the parties have to wait until the end of the entire case, after final judgment to appeal. Even if the judge is wrong, you have to abide by her orders along the way. The writ of mandate is a request for interlocutory appeal, meaning that a party believes they shouldn’t have to wait until final judgment to appeal, for example if an order involves turning over some document where irreparable harm would ensue by the very act of turning it over - the "bell can't be unrung" scenario.

That request was denied, evidently without explanation, by the appeals court. The docket would indicate if a formal opinion explaining the reasons was issued, but none is shown. The CA Supreme Court then refused to entertain an appeal of that decision. The end result for a party whose request for interlocutory appeal is denied, is that they have to comply with the order that they disagreed with. However, the denial does not necessarily mean that the party appealing was wrong; it could be that it just was not an appropriate time to appeal. The bigger question (to me) in this case is what happened between May, when the CA Supreme Court declined to hear the appeal, and last week, when judgment was entered. It’s not really possible to tell from the briefs, because the briefing on the sanctions motion was completed in April, when the writ of mandate petition had yet to be decided by the CA Supreme Court.

My editorial take on this is that Zalkin is engaging in a bit of puffery by implying that the intermediate appeal court and the CA Supreme Court have already ruled in his favor on these issues. That’s not necessarily a criticism; talking up his case and promoting how well he’s doing is part of his job. Don't get me wrong - it's an extremely egregious move to refuse to turn over documents that were ordered to be turned over, after exhausting avenues for appeal. Appeals courts will not look favorably upon that. However, it's somewhat of an overstatement to say that the appeals court and CA Supreme Court agreed with everything the trial judge did, when they never had the parties in for argument and never discussed the discovery issues in a formal opinion.

tl;dr version: the appeals courts entered orders that had the result of requiring the WTS and Losch to comply with the discovery orders, but those courts never found that the discovery orders involving document production and deposition testimony were actually correct.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

The WTBTS is screwed, IMO. The cult is dying so the GB needed to become "real" in the eyes of JWs. This meant that there could be no more lurking about the top floors of the Columbia Heights building, as I once witnessed Sam Herd doing. Instead of lurking about like a seldom observed Sasquatch, they have been forced into the spotlight.

This exposure which coincides with the re-branding of the WTBTS, is a double-edged sword. As a relative recently said, " The JW.ORG merchandising seems "out there" but it makes the kingdom relevant and real." Well, shits about to get REAL.

DD

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

oI teralways did public work after billing the required hours. Many lawyers at large firms do public interest work for free in addition to their paid work. The large firms encourage this work. Not everyone in the profession is a money grubber. I saw lawyers staying late., working on death penalty cases, public policy, general civil rights and liberties work, environmental litigation, and serving on non-profit boards. Every election cycle lawyers voluntarily show up at polling places to ensure voting integrity. Other professions are welcome. All for free. I did hundreds, if not thousands of hours for free The quality of work is superb. Your lawyers doing corporate work also tend to do public interest work. The reservoir of guilt among the privileged is great. Large firms tend to encourage the work. There is job satisfaction. Lawyers learn skills. Also, smaller firms do not have the capacity to bring these cases.

If you divide hours worked by salary and include free public interest work, the hourly rate is diminished. I am tired of the profession being portrayed as a bunch of ambulance chasing money grabbers. When others were partying, I was in a library or my office working. The hours are long. Certain responsibilities exist. The profession is being transformed by economic forces. My nephew is attending a bad law school. He is spending three years and will probably never have a legal job. I would rather do retail sales than be a personal injury lawyer.

I realize that most ordinary people here do not mix with the top of the profession. When I consult lawyers for personal matters, I see a wide range of competence. There are many lawyers doing routine, every day law that have great skills and integrity. Corporations bottom line is profit. Lawyers are entitled to profit.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Chaserious, thank you for your knowledgeable contributions on this Site. You explain Court/Legal procedures in a way that even I can understand !

We are in for a long journey on these cases, but eventually the outcome for the WT will be bad, very bad.

Which they deserve.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

From BOTR:

"If you come forward in your forties, money is probably a factor."

BOTR, you have NO idea what the victims life was like; you don't know how he suffered, you don't know if he asked for money or not, that is so off target to make a blanket statement about his motives.

He wanted a trial.

ENOUGH victim bashing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit