ALERT: NEW LAWSUIT settlement - $13 MILLION

by Watchtower-Free 300 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Ann, thanks for your clarification on the "Service Committee," "Service Department" question.

You cited this: "... said defendant has a duty to designate as the deponent the Officer, Director, Managing Agents, Employees, or Agents most
    qualified to testify on its behalf as to the following matters ..."

Do you know, did the WTBTS every comply with this?

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

They produced Richard Ashe of the Service Department about how to access their computerized database on child abuse issues and child abusers but it was a lot of lame excuses about why it would be too difficult to dig out the needed info.

• flipper
    flipper

This is one of the other lawsuits that attorney Zalkin is handling in regards to a victim in the San Diego area who is being awarded 13.5 million $$$$ for the negligence of the WT Society regarding child abuse being allowed to continue unabated to this victim and others. If any haven't seen the youtube Zalkin's comments are worthy of note . WT Society MUST be exposed as the criminal organization that they are

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

I had a little time to finally do some more reading on this case this morning and had an interesting observation. Gerrit Losch's personal lawyer in this matter is a man named Donald Ridley (you can see here on p.4 that it refers to "Mr. Losch's personal cousel Donald Ridley," or here at Exhibit 35, "Mr. Losch's lead counsel, Donald T. Ridley").

This attorney is in private practice in NYC, and my understanding is that he was an one time an in-house WTS lawyer. What was interesting to me is that on his firm's website, one of the several practice areas that they advertise is Gay and Lesbian family law. From their website, it says the founder of the firm:

"was a pioneer in the New York Marriage Equality Movement as a longtime proponent of equal rights. He and the other attorneys of The Mandel Law Firm proudly marched across the Brooklyn Bridge in support of this cause." (I'm guessing Mr. Ridley didn't march across the Brooklyn Bridge for gay rights?)

What occurred to me is how many rank-and-file JWs were pressured over the years to quit or turn down jobs where the employers were involved in "unscriptural" practices. I recall people who were told they shouldn't work at a job where they have to handle tobacco products, do construction work on churches, etc. Yet the JW elite can work for a gay-rights lawyer (it is not clear from the website whether Ridley is a partner or an associate/employee). I wonder how Mr. Ridley's firm's gay and lesbian clients would feel if they knew that a lawyer at the law firm they patronize represents members of the governing body that teaches its millions of devout followers to shun their gay and lesbian children and other family members, and preaches that homosexuals are involved in a fashion conspiracy to induce men to wear tight pants.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Chaserious= very interesting point that all of us over looked. I suggest that you make this a different topic as it deserves it's own thread.

• flipper
    flipper

ANNOMALLEY- The WT reps said it would be , " too difficult to dig out the needed info " on child molesters within the organization - translation : WT leaders don't WANT to dig out the needed info on child molesters as it would open up a Pandora's box and many dirty skeletons regarding chil abuse would come tumbling out of the WT Society's files. THAT is what they don't want to happen. Because if an alleged pedophile ring was discovered that WT Society has been involved with- it would be the end game for the WT Society and they cannot afford to let that happen. They'd rather pay out millions in lawsuits in order to maintain secrecy regarding WT child abuse

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

" too difficult to dig out the needed info "

When a judge tells me to do something "difficult" or pay 13 million dollars (even without considering that it might happen again in the future) I think I would get someone who doesn't cost me even close to 1 million dollars for their "difficulty" to dig it out. Their excuse shows that, even if asked for time, they wouldn't do it. So Flipper is right. They would rather just lose the case and maintain some secrecy. It's not like it's actually "their" money they are losing.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

money is probably a factor.

Sorry to raise this inane comment again. Of course money is a factor. It is a factor in almost everything that is done. What makes you get up and go work in a morning? How would you pay for the gas you put in your tank, the food you will eat tonight? Yes, money motivates people, the lack of it causes hardship. Large enough awards commensurate with the public harm done will threaten the existence of an organization that flouts it's reponsibilties. If that makes a small number of victims rich, so be it.

There has never been a better way of determining damages, the harm caused by one person to another, than money. money is the scoring system used by courts to evaluate hurt and loss. How would you do it, use carrots or cabbages?

There we are, rant over.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Chaserious - thanks for the info. Yes, very interesting!

Flipper and OTWO - You're both right, of course. Just looking at it from an 'above board,' 'nothing to hide' POV, according to Ashe's own statements. Even from that perspective it doesn't make any sense. What damned use is a centralized, internal, computerized database where nobody can readily access information? It may have been a successful stalling tactic for now, despite losing this legal round, but these feeble excuses can only backfire on them long term, surely.

Slidin Fast - You do know that you won't get a reply from Banned On the Run, now, right?

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I believe eventually they will be forced to hand over those files and some one at a senior level will have to take the witness box. If they lose on appeal they will just get steamed rolled if they don't.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit