ALERT: NEW LAWSUIT settlement - $13 MILLION

by Watchtower-Free 300 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/135M-Awarded-to-Bible-Teacher-Gonzalo-Campos-Alleged-Abuse-Victim-Jose-Lopez-281031832.html

30, 2014. (Published Thursday, Oct 30, 2014)

Thursday, Oct 30, 2014 • Updated at 11:58 PM PDT

A $13.5 million judgment was awarded Wednesday to a San Diego man who says he was the childhood victim of “very aggressive abuse” at the hands of his Bible study teacher.

Jose Lopez, now 35 years old, came forward as one of eight children who accuse Gonzalo Campos of sexually abusing them between 1982 and 1995, according to his lawsuit.

Campos served in the leadership of the Linda Vista Spanish Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses and Playa Pacifica Spanish Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Pacific Beach, Lopez’s attorney Irwin Zalkin told NBC 7.

In about 1986, when Lopez was 7 years old, Campos was first introduced and portrayed to him as a fatherly figure who could teach him about the Bible.

Instead, the accused perpetrator used his position and time alone with Lopez to groom him, according to Zalkin.

"After a period of grooming him, which Campos was very adept at, one day he took him and he seriously molested him in a private residence," he said.

The attorney believes Campos would take his victims to a home his mother cleaned in La Jolla.

Although the alleged molestation happened on one occasion, the high amount awarded by a judge reflects the severe consequences Lopez has faced as a result, including post-traumatic stress disorder, addiction and trust issues, Zalkin explained.

But the lawsuit does not seek damages from Campos himself, or even the Linda Vista congregation.

Instead, it names the defendant as the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, the entity that oversees Jehovah’s Witness churches.

Zalkin said $10.5 million of the amount was for punitive damages as a result of the Watchtower’s response to the Campos scandal.

"Damages that reflect the reprehensible conduct of the Watchtower in how they covered this up for years and allowed multiple children to be injured,” said Zalkin. “They protected and harbored a criminal."

The Watchtower told NBC 7 it plans to appeal the judgment, saying the award given after a hearing at which it was barred from participating.

“Jehovah’s Witnesses abhor child abuse and strive to protect children from such acts,” the organization said in a statement. “The trial judge’s decision is a drastic action for any judge to take given the circumstances of the case. We will seek a full review of this case on appeal.”

As for Campos, Zalkin said he is in Mexico, where he moved as soon as they started investigating this case.

Source: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/135M-Awarded-to-Bible-Teacher-Gonzalo-Campos-Alleged-Abuse-Victim-Jose-Lopez-281031832.html#ixzz3Hiw0ilA0
    Follow us: @nbcsandiego on Twitter | NBCSanDiego on Facebook

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

“Jehovah’s Witnesses abhor child abuse and strive to protect children from such acts,” the organization said in a statement.

This makes me cringe because it it such a lie.

• Heaven
    Heaven

This shiite's gotta stop!

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

More on Campos................Bethel Elder fled to Mexico

http://jwsurvey.org/cedars-blog/license-to-harm-predator-gonzalo-campos-was-allowed-by-elders-to-prey-on-children

• sir82
    sir82

This needs national exposure.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

"Damages that reflect the reprehensible conduct of the Watchtower in how they covered this up for years and allowed multiple children to be injured,” said Zalkin. “They protected and harbored a criminal."

So, this is one of eight children. My guess that the Watchtower is in a heap of trouble.

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

it really puzzles me , that of all the things the society changes in doctrinal teachings, why would it be so difficult to keep out of affairs of personal natures such as these and people simply call the law and deal with these crimes like everyone else does?

they know how much its costing them, they know its wrong, so what the hay?

I cant wraap my head aroung the logic of not being willing to give people personal responsibility for thier own lives and staying out of it.

they would have so many more followers IF they were simpy honest and nice about things!

well you know the old saying, pride before a fall....

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

sowhatnow - I've wondered this. I could only think that they fear it would damage their reputation and lose them power and money OR that member/s of or the whole Governing body and their puppet masters now or past are/were paedophiles. Their protection of paedophiles would ultimately protect themselves/these individuals.

Just a thought.

• Simon
    Simon

“Jehovah’s Witnesses abhor child abuse and strive to protect children from such acts,” the organization said in a statement.

Let me just correct that on behalf of the WTS to say what they really mean:

“Jehovah’s Witnesses abhor child abuse becoming public and strive to protect the organization from the consequences of such acts,”

Actually, notice the suble use of "Jehovah's Witnesses" in the statement. They are the WatchTower Bible and Tract Society - but they try to shift the focus onto their believers instead of their legally registered and legally responsible corporation.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Yeah, from a logical standpoint it makes perfect sense to change policy to get rid of the 2-witness rule in cases of sexual abuse. I think the issue is that they've worked so hard to make their stance seem biblical, they're digging in their heels because capitualiting now would be to admit that the bible isn't the best standard for justice. Also, from a short-term perspective, it's in their best intrests to conceal the pedophiles in their ranks, as their exposure would have been damaging to the donations coming in from the congregations that were affected. It's coming back to bite them in the ass now, though. When you think that you're backed by the almighty himself, you tend not to capitulate to external pressures as easily.

I have a feeling this lawsuit won't stand if their statement that they were unable to be present to defend themselves is true. There will be a number of appeals, but hopefully in the end they just end up paying more.

Actually, notice the suble use of "Jehovah's Witnesses" in the statement. They are the WatchTower Bible and Tract Society - but they try to shift the focus onto their believers instead of their legally registered and legally responsible corporation.

Maybe they do have a little conscience after all. They can't bring themselves to lie and say that the WTBTS abhors child abuse, since that's definitely not true.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit