ALERT: NEW LAWSUIT settlement - $13 MILLION

by Watchtower-Free 300 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

"I can't make up my mind if these guys are really stupid or really smart."

As a strategy to keep a few followers, that might work if you can keep them in the dark and feed them their BS.

As legal and financial strategy, it seems like it will lead to payout after payout; Zalkin's firm alone has many lawsuits tee'd up.

Think about it; if they pull this stunt again, the judges will see the complete contempt for the legal system, and punish them accordingly, just as Judge Lewis did.

Or, they let Losch be deposed, and let the fun begin.

Not to mention that Zalkin has Richard Ash (formerly Service Dept, now with CCJW), in deposition, saying that WT has all of the information gleaned from the BOE direction of 3/1997 to turn in all information about abuse cases, and that the WT scanned it, and OCR'd it!

They have ALL of the information on any abuse claims that went into the files!

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

It was Moreno, the Watchtower attorney who said Watchtower "will never change their policy."

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Metatron: I can remember the Watchtower's reputation for solid legal work that they were proud of, in creating a 'firewall' of legal precedents to protect the organization.

I remember too, and came to believe Watchtower's legal dept was unbeatable.

In the old days Watchtower won many cases, even before the Supreme Court of the United States. However those were primarily religious freedom cases; you can't be forced to salute the flag, you can't get fired if you don't vote, military service and other neutrality issues.

These cases today have nothing to do with religious freedoms, but are about human rights and covering up crimes, and Watchtower has positioned itself on the wrong side. They did good work in the old days when religious rights needed to be nailed down, but should be made to pay and be exposed for what they are doing today.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

13 million hurts, but I think they know that in today's information age I think the cost of putting a member of the GB on the stand, under oath would be much more damaging.

they will exhaust any number of appeals they can to get out of paying, but at the end of the day, I think any court will require them to produce what the court requested before ruling in their favor.

on the flip side, it could be a strategy. If they use these judgements as proof that Satan is attacking Jehovah's people, they could roll out a new financial policy to accept tithing. Witnesses would eagerly sign up for this for easy paradise points forfighting against the Devil. After it is in place, they start to quietly comply with court orders and while they may have paid a large amount in the short term, they would then have a massive new revenue stream.

• cofty
    cofty

Zalkin's opinion just seems to be that they live in a "parallel universe" and feel that they are above the law.

They will have a collision with reality sooner or later.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

What Cofty said.

DD

• flipper
    flipper

Very great points brought out here. My wife and I were just discussing this after listening to Zalkin's podcast interview and I agree with Sir 82's suggestion that the WT leaders feel it will serve their agenda better by staying quiet and secretive about ANY documentations they have in their possession - not only because they can pose to rank & file JW's that they are being allegedly " persecuted " by " Satan's world " - but also- WT leaders actually ARE scared $hitless about being exposed in regards to HOW MUCH MORE secretive information they have in their possession about child molestation cases and exactly WHO in their organization would be exposed in public as having been a pedophile, child molester, etc. Doubtless such names as Greenlees, Chitty former Governing Body members would come tumbling out in court documents into the courtroom ( Jaracz anybody ? ) - and as Zalkin states WT Society's " house of cards " would fall even HARDER than it is at the present time. WT Society cannot afford to let outsiders or rank & file JW's get a hold of THAT information. This is only going to get more interesting and the tension level will ratchet up further for WT leaders

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Zalkin's opinion just seems to be that they live in a "parallel universe" and feel that they are above the law.

I don't believe I have ever heard the JW/GB mindset ever described so perspicuously.

• cofty
    cofty

perspicuously

Writing that down ;)

• Watchtower-Free

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit