ALERT: NEW LAWSUIT settlement - $13 MILLION

by Watchtower-Free 300 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

1) BOTR, are you in favor of the WTBTS being held responsible? I don't quite know where you stand. Talking legal procedures and theory is fine, but morals MUST prevail, or there is no justice, IMO.

2) Gog of Magog. I called this shit....

3) This thread is awesome. I'm going to read the records carefully. If understand what I have read, the WTBTS lawyers have again said that the GB are not real, but a theological entity?!?!

DD

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

BOTR: I have better things to do. It takes time to read documents. No legal case is ever presented accurately on this forum. The titles are misleading. My comments are mixed. I love the comparison to Jesus of Nazareth before the Sanhedrin. My guess is that they can easily afford $13 million, if necessary. This will be appealed. Another guess is that compliance with court ordered discovery may have cost them far more. I thought a judge could compel discovery.

• cofty
    cofty

BOTR - It's not about the size of the final settlement or even whether the WT score some points on appeal.

Its about the international exposure - at long last thanks to Barbara and others - that the Watchtower has failed it's children.

This succession of legal cases and the gathering of momentum is massively important even if they never actually pay out a single cent.

Stop being so precious about non-lawyers commenting on legal cases.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

You have to wonder what is in those documents that is so damning that they would risk sanctions by refusing to produce them. They have known about this particular case for years, you can't tell me they didn't know exactly where everything was.

I would love to see those redacted documents and find out what they blacked out.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

BOTR: No legal case is ever presented accurately on this forum.

Really? Not ever? That's kind of a sweeping statement. Often court documents are presented here for download; there must be some accuracy in those.

Cofty: How much would you love to see a member of the GB on the stand being grilled by a tenacious lawyer?

Wouldn't that be delicious, but he probably wouldn't say much, if anything. Sudden lapse of memory. It would probably be much worse for Watchtower if he actually talked.

That would be satisfying too because it would show how inept the GB really is.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Its about the international exposure.

Don't kid yourself.

I can't find this in the news anywhere but here.

Someone mentions Yahoo. It's my email & homepage. Nothin'.

How many JWs know a damn thing about the Candice Conti suit. NONE>

Quit living your fantasy and move on.

Doc

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/135m-award-jehovahs-witnesses-molest-case-26616332

ABC News

$13.5M Award in Jehovah's Witnesses Molest Case

SAN DIEGO — Oct 31, 2014, 10:44 PM ET

The Jehovah's Witnesses were ordered to pay $13.5 million to a Southern California man who said he was molested as a child by a church member.

A San Diego judge ruled Wednesday that the church's governing body covered up years of sexual abuse by a member who later became an elder.

Superior Judge Joan Lewis said actions of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York were "reprehensible and reckless," U-T San Diego reported Friday ( http://bit.ly/1uf519R ).

Jose Lopez, who was awarded the money, sued the group, alleging that he was molested in 1986 at age 7 by a member of the Spanish congregation in the Linda Vista area of San Diego.

Lopez said the elders suggested Gonzalo Campos as his Bible teacher even though they knew he had molested at least one other boy, the suit contended. Lopez also said that after he told his mother about the molestation, church leaders told his mother not to report it to law enforcement.

Six other men and one woman who also claimed that Campos molested them have settled their lawsuits out of court.

In a statement Friday, the Watchtower denied there was a cover-up, disputed that Campos held any responsibility within the congregation at the time of the alleged molestation and said it planned to appeal the ruling.

"Jehovah's Witnesses abhor child abuse and strive to protect children from such acts. The trial judge's decision is a drastic action for any judge to take given the circumstances of this case," said Mario Moreno, associate general counsel for Watchtower.

Trial evidence showed that [elders] looked into molestation allegations against Campos, found that he was repentant, and did not expel him. He became an elder in 1993, was kicked out of the church after another alleged victim surfaced in 1995 but was reinstated in 2000, U-T San Diego said, citing court records.

Campos later confessed in a court deposition to abusing at least eight children between 1982 and 1995 but fled the country several years ago after a report was made to San Diego police and is believed to be living in Mexico, the paper said.

At a news conference on Friday, Lopez said he wants Campos "behind bars where he belongs."

His lawsuit is one of many involving sexual abuse claims against the church, which has about 8 million members nationwide.

Two years ago, an Alameda County jury awarded $21 million to a woman who claimed the church allowed an adult member of a Fremont church to molest her when she was 9 years old in the mid-1990s. The award was later reduced to $8 million.

Six adults sued Thursday in Texas, alleging they were molested in the 1990s and that the church's governing leaders failed to report the abuse to authorities.

About 20 other lawsuits are pending in various states.

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

https://news.google.com/news/story?ncl=http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/oct/31/jehovahs-witness-sex-abuse-judgment-lopez/&hl=en&geo=US

Jehovah's Witnesses ordered to pay $13.5m to victim of sexual abuse

The Guardian - ‎5 hours ago‎ The International Convention of Jehovah's Witnesses in Melbourne on 18 October 2014. The US-based church faces a bill for $13.5m after a judgment in a California child abuse case. Photograph: Tracey Nearmy/AAPIMAGE. Reuters in San Diego, California.

Jehovah's Witnesses to pay $13.5M in sex abuse ruling

Toronto Sun - ‎9 hours ago‎ Jehovah's Witnesses pray during an assembly at Azteca stadium in Mexico City December 15, 2013. REUTERS/Edgard Garrido. Change text size for the story; Print this story. Report an error. Related Stories. Papal commission on sex abuse to push for ...

Jehovah's Witnesses to pay $13.5 mln in California sex abuse ruling

Reuters - ‎12 hours ago‎ SAN DIEGO Calif. (Reuters) - A Californian judge has ordered the Jehovah's Witnesses to pay $13.5 million to a man who was sexually abused in the 1980s by a church leader, attorney for the victim said on Friday. Church elders had assigned a man to work ...

$13.5M award in Jehovah's Witnesses molest case

Daily Mail - ‎19 hours ago‎ SAN DIEGO (AP) — The Jehovah's Witnesses were ordered to pay $13.5 million to a Southern California man who said he was molested as a child by a church member. A San Diego judge ruled Wednesday that the church's governing body covered up years ...

Jehovah's Witnesses Church to pay $13.5M for alleged child abuse

fox5sandiego.com - ‎1 hour ago‎ SAN DIEGO — Jose Lopez was awarded a $13.5 million judgment Wednesday from the head of the Jehovah's Witnesses Church for alleged sexual abuse by Gonzalo Campos of the Linda Vista Spanish Congregation and Playa Pacifica in Pacific Beach.

Jehovah's Witnesses pay $13.5 million to sexual abuse victim

Crux: Covering all things Catholic - ‎2 hours ago‎ The Jehovah's Witnesses have been ordered to pay $13.5 million to a Southern California man who said he was molested as a child by a church member. U-T San Diego says a San Diego judge ruled Wednesday that the church's governing body covered up ...

Jehovah's Witnesses must pay $13.5M to teacher's sex victim

UPI.com - ‎2 hours ago‎ SAN DIEGO, Nov. 1 (UPI) -- The organization that oversees the Jehovah's Witness church has been ordered to pay $13.5 million to a San Diego man who claims he was sexually abused by a bible teacher as a child. Now 36, Jose Lopez filed a lawsuit against ...

Jehovah's Witnesses to pay US$13.5 million in California sex abuse ruling

The Malaysian Insider - ‎7 hours ago‎ A Californian judge has ordered the Jehovah's Witnesses to pay US$13.5 million (RM44.4 million) to a man who was sexually abused in the 1980s by a church leader, attorney for the victim said. – AFP pic, November 1, 2014.A Californian judge has ordered ...

$13.5M awarded to child sex-abuse victim in Jehovah's Witnesses case

San Diego 6 - ‎15 hours ago‎ A San Diego Superior Court judge entered a $13.5 million judgment Friday in a sexual abuse case against the Jehovah's Witnesses. Jose Lopez was awarded the money nearly 30 years after he says he was sexually molested by his Jehovah Witness ...

Jehovah's Witnesses Ordered To Pay $13.5 Million In Molestation Case

CBS Local - ‎18 hours ago‎ Letitia Pepper says her rights were violated when she was arrested after repeatedly clapping at a Riverside City Council meeting. (Getty Images). Related Tags: court, Jehova's Witnesses, judge, Molestation. Don't Miss This. Credit: Michele Anderson/ ...

$13.5M for Jehovah's Witness sex victim

U-T San Diego - ‎21 hours ago‎ San Diego judge finds church covered up abuse, put kids in danger. Similar lawsuits filed across country. By Kristina Davis1:02 p.m.Oct. 31, 2014Updated12:20 p.m.Nov. 1, 2014. ⎙. Print. 💬. Comments -. Lawyer Irwin Zalkin (left) and Jose Lopez speak to the ...

$13.5 million judgment against Jehovah's Witnesses in child abuse case

10News - ‎Oct 31, 2014‎ Copyright 2014 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Show Caption Hide Caption. Previous Next. SAN DIEGO - A $13.5 million judgment was handed down in San Diego Superior ...

Lawsuit Awards Man $13.5 Million In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Case

The Christian Times - ‎Oct 31, 2014‎ The moon is seen behind the Orthodox church Christ the Saviour in Pristina, Serbia, April 13, 2007. The U.S. government cannot trade a parcel of land to private hands to allow a Christian cross to remain in the middle of a vast federal preserve, a U.S. appeals ...

Instead Of The Bible, This Jehovah's Witness Taught Children Abuse -- And ...

The Inquisitr - ‎Oct 31, 2014‎ It seems no sect is sacred in the stream of child sex abuse cases that have come to light more and more often over the last decade — whether those accused teach the Bible or the Koran. But at least one case is ending in justice for the abused child — a former ...

Jehovah's Witnesses Ordered to Pay $13.5M to Bible Teacher's Alleged Victim

NBC 7 San Diego - ‎Oct 30, 2014‎ The National Organization for Jehovah's Witnesses was ordered to pay $13.5 million to a San Diego man who says he was abused as a child by his Bible teacher. NBC 7's Rory Devine reports on Oct. 30, 2014. (Published Thursday, Oct 30, 2014). Friday, Oct ...

'House of Cards'

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

How much would you love to see a member of the GB on the stand being grilled by a tenacious lawyer?

Hell yeah!

I would also like to know the answer to JW GoneBad's question:

What committee does WT legal fall under? What GB or GBs oversee WT legal if it's not under any of the above mentioned committees?

I would like to know what the difference is between the "U.S. Service Department" that Lösch denies ever having "surpervised" or "worked for" and the "Service Committee" that he is part of. (Declaration of Gerrit Lösch- scroll about half way down.) Don't the Committees supervise the Departments?

I would like to know how long Lösch has been part of the Service Committee as a GB member.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Thank you Barbara.

Did someone mention the word fantasy???

'Quit living your fantasy and move on.'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit