Accusing Ex-JWs of Behaving Like JWs Should be Taboo

by cofty 447 Replies latest members private

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Aw now see, I knew you wouldn't be able to resist coming back. I'm goin' to bed with a smile on my face. Serendipity and a fun example of human nature. Thank you, Miss Viv. I shall sleep well.

• cofty
    cofty

The conversation has been helpful to me, even the page after page of silly insults and tantrums. A few old timers have shown their true colours and that has been revealing.

I have been forced to think carefully about my assertion.

If I was starting this thread again I would do it a bit differently. I am still certain that almost all the times that posters like mini, outlaw, talesin, vg et al use phrases like "JW mindset" they are doing nothing except throwing around cheap insults that reflect their pet peeves. I still feel it is an especially injurious insult in view of the cost of becoming an ex-JW.

JWs are a diverse group of people with all sorts of personalities. Defining one particular trait that is uniquely JW is always going to be impossible. However I think there may be one particular trait that is typically JW. It is the one thing that I believe all JWs must overcome in order to be free of the cult. As I promised I would like to post a new more positive thread on it this evening.

• Caedes
    Caedes

I have never been a JW but have met a lot of them. If there is something common to their thinking and behaviour I would say that it is a lack of critical thinking. Strangely the main use of the insult is to suggest that a person is either too judgemental or critical. There are plenty of examples of it being used this way in this thread.

The one thing I found so overwhelmingly stifling as a child was the fact that we were not allowed to ask the difficult questions, we were not allowed to ask the questions that would be difficult to answer for a JW or indeed any theist. I know that makes some people uncomfortable (hence why they are so vocal about trying to legitimise the 'you are like a JW' insult) but it is something a lot of people need to say. If we are serious about this being a place for people to recover from their contact with the JW cult then it is to be expected.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

I am rejoining this debate, my past comments were on page i think 7 and 5. ......so " Bye for now" but when ive had a beer or two and read the entire thread ( if i am not sleeping) i will....sorry falling a sleeeeeeep.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

On a seriouse note " Cofty" my life and hopes were shattered by the realization the " W.T" was a cult, and i am grateful that you have helped me find peace. I no longer belive in God, and am at peace with that.

But sometimes i think your posts " coffty" shatter other peoples faith,people who are still only searching to endure a life long quallel with not only " God" but parents and organisation and its not you " Cofty" its the comments on your thread made by others posters that you who started the thread must take accountability for.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Cocty, i think its also important to remember lurker J.Ws read your post. They come from Russia and lands that do not WRITE English so dont partisipate, but they have a life of family memories. These good and gentle people who read your words, may find the negativity of this thread confusing?

I say start a good topic, and then quarrel and quarrel is easy, but you loose the worldwide audience this site gives you.

The biggest audience on this site dont emven partisipate.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Cofty i starred a post yesterday called i think " New/ Old tell me about yourself on J.W.T"

The sixth reply was very negative and i was tempted to reply, but i let it go...i figured id let the other posters not me answer the question. Sometimes give the attacker the victory, and let other posters decide the answer.

Anyway sentimentality aside i am very grateful for the help you gave me leaving the W.T. And i think your a very kind man.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Defining one particular trait that is uniquely JW is always going to be impossible.

When we come out of the Jehovah's Witness organization, some of us have to work hard to get out of that JW burning need to convert and indoctrinate people to our way of thinking. It is an issue that all of should be aware of. If someone points it out to us, we can take offense and cling to the need, or we can reflect on it and choose to grow. While evangelizing is not unique to JWs, if you've spent many years involved in JW evangelizing, then left and applied the same zeal to your new beliefs, unbeliefs, interests or causes, then you've brought the behavoir with you. A lot of the time, we just call it evangelical behavior, but the JWs are the source of the behavior. That is unless you jump from JWs into another evangelical movement, then it could be attributed to both.

• cofty
    cofty

Its all about context FHN.

Outside this forum I never discuss religion or faith with anybody unless they try to evangelise me.

This is a religious discussion forum - its a place to debate the pros and cons of belief.

Hundreds of people who are losing their religion read these threads. I have done the whole - JW - born again - skeptic thing.

I believe I have a lot to offer regarding the dangers and deficiencies of a faith-based worldview. I am never going to apologise for sharing it.

I could not care less if anybody agrees with me or what path they choose but I will continue to present the facts.

If theists had any evidence on their side they wouldn't get so irate about it.

You have just illustrated again that "JW behavour" is almost always a matter of your personal peeves.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Cofty, I am sure you're an enjoyable person to be around, especially off the forum where people can see your smile and hear you laugh. Sharing or discussing what we find important or dear isn't a problem. It's when it gets to be extreme, obnoxious and invasive that it becomes a problem. I don't think anyone on the forum has a problem with respectful discussions of atheism, theism, science. Both theists and athiests have been deleted from the forum for abusive extremes. Whether it's done outside or inside the forum, a behavior is a behavior.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit