Accusing Ex-JWs of Behaving Like JWs Should be Taboo

by cofty 447 Replies latest members private

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Hey! Let's play nice.

Simon has decided the rules. The taboos are listed below. We can at least offer respect in our disagreements, but we are going to strike JW nerves on side or the other. We all have our sore spots. I enjoy the hardcore Christian posts and have enjoyed the perspective of the now non-believers.

As to the OP, I can see why saying someone sounds all JW'y seems kind of harsh, but a lot of us have done/seen it. We are products of our environment, after all. It might not be the worst thing in the world to have it (gently, perhaps) pointed out, as most of us left because we don't WANT to sound like them.

I enjoy both the above posters so much! Learned a lot frm both of you with two very different styles. I have been on this board since it wasn't very old and have been registered for about 9 years.

Respect makes for an enduring board with many long time participants.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

...............................................Why?!..
    ...................................If it`s True..It`s True..

.................................................................OTHERWISE WE MAY AS WELL..

.....CALL A SPADE A SPADE...............................BE BACK IN THE WBT$..

............................................................................................................................... photo mutley-ani1.gif... OUTLAW

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Cofty, I share your frustration. The problem with Free Speech is that it allows people to say stupid, thoughtless and even deliberately hurtful things.

I remember you writing one time that you frequent this forum to try and help people that are leaving the cult. You have helped a lot of people learn to think more clearly and disabuse themselves of false, destructive beliefs. But you can't help everyone, especially those that are not ready for it.

Unless what they say crosses over into hate speech then I think your best bet is to hit the IGNORE button on those threads!

IGNORE

• talesin
    talesin

I hate this, and I am done.

I told you, Cofty, that I admire you.

If you, and you too, Oubi, can't see this, then okay. You want to be advisors, and put yourselves up there as having more knowledge and understanding than those who had the useless title of "Elder", then, so be it.

You do a lot of good, and help a lot of people. It's unfortunate, in my own humble opinion, that others see you as 'elders' who are all-wise and all-knowing ...... that is the opposite of my point of view.

We are here to be free, and become our OWN arbiters of what we want. If you choose to see yourselves as 'guides to understanding' ,,, and other ex-JWS choose to accept that, instead of finding their OWN way, then so be it. I thought leaving the WTS meant leaving the elders (people who told us how to think) and their guidance behind, but I dunno, maybe I'm wrong.

tal

• talesin
    talesin

And your puffed-up self-image, Oubliette, that allows you to say

IGNORE

tells me that you are quite the insecure male who is AFRAID of an outspoken woman.

So, put THAT in your pipe and smoke it!

lmao

xo

tal

• talesin
    talesin

* crickets *

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

talesin, uh, calm down. I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about people that say "stupid, thoughtless" things.

BTW, I don't smoke a pipe, but I do love an outspoken woman. My wife is very outspoken and it's one of her best qualities.

I'm guessing you a Cofty are having a tiff. I thought he started this thread in response to the multitude of threads started by seekchristonly.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/member/74252/started/1

If Cofty's OP was directed at you, then I apologize that you thought I was talking about you. I wasn't.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Also, I'm no longer an elder, haven't been for 1/2 a decade.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Any personal attack is a low blow in my book.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I never quite understood the desire to prove that the other person is wrong.

I got my own stinkin problems and if I show a person the error of his or her ways, I may be resonsible for something I am not willing to accept.

This makes me a selfish bastard - but so be it. Like I said, I got my own stinkin problems.

I am on this ste for me, not for anyone else. If I happen to help someone, it is simply by accident.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit