I was "totally" stopped in my tracks by an "atheist" comment.

by booker-t 78 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Now that this has been settled, can we address the more salient question of why "totally" is in quotes in the topic title?

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

can we address the more salient question of why "totally" is in quotes in the topic title?

"Why" do you ask, Apog ? Isn't it "obvious"? I "totally" think "it" is "more" than "obvious".

• jam
    jam

Here's the problem with believers:

A survey on religion caused a stir when it revealed that many

Americans lack some basic knowledge about their own religious

faiths. Another provocative finding indicated both atheists and

agnostics are surprisingly knowledgable about a variety

of religions.

blog.dictionary.com atheism/agnosticism..The credibility of

this survey, I don't know. But I must admit, discussions with

people that are believers no very little about their faith or

able to defend it.

• rebel8
    rebel8

So why woudl God go through the trouble of "hiding" this massive even from just a few thousand years ago, from the fossil record? Why would he allow us to see all of history...except for the flood?

And then tell someone to write a book about it and demand they believe it just because the book says so. And to believe all that in an incredibly inaccurate book , at that.

• rebel8
    rebel8

omg what is going on with this forum?

here is the link that won't hyperlink.

http://www.evilbible.com/absurd%20torah%20science.htm

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

Excuse my spelling.. wine and posting don't mix.

• DJS
    DJS

Jam

Nice post. It only makes sense that agnostics and atheists would know more about relgion than the religious. I have noted on several occasions that believing is one step up in the evolutionary chain for sentient creatures. It's just above feeling. Many religious people simply stop right there and never take the time to think, research from a 360 degree perspesctrive, analyze and prove. It appears, based on the data, that the same lazy mindedness associated with their religion carries over to most everything else.

Atheists tend to require as much very good evidence as possible before making decisions. And several studies point out that atheists are simpy more intelligent than religious people. I posted a refernce to one such study last week. Here it is again:

In a 2013 meta-analysis, led by Professor Miron Zuckerman, of 63 scientific studies about IQ and religiosity, a negative relation between intelligence and religiosity was found in 53 out of 63.

In 2008, intelligence researcher Helmuth Nyborg examined whether IQ relates to denomination and income, using representative data from the National Longitudinal Study of Youth, which includes intelligence tests on a representative selection of white American youth, where they have also replied to questions about religious belief. His results, published in the scientific journal Intelligence, demonstrated that atheists scored an average of 1.95 IQ points higher than agnostics, 3.82 points higher than liberal persuasions, and 5.89 IQ points higher than other dogmatic persuasions.

Secondly, the authors investigated the link between religiosity and intelligence on a country level. Among the sample of 137 countries, only 23 (17%) had more than 20% of atheists, which constituted “virtually all... higher IQ countries.” The authors reported a correlation of 0.60 between atheism rates and level of intelligence, which was determined to be “highly statistically significant”.

• DJS
    DJS

To Booker T's credit, he did make it to step 3.5, as he has intense bible learnin'. But for cripes sake, didn't all of us have intense bible learnin' when we were in the Borg? To act like that means something upon our exit from the cult slays me. Booker T: Expand your intense bible learnin' knowledge of which you are so proud to include a complete 360 degree study and analysis of all things religious.

Then, after you have completed your studies, come back on here and tell me what type of frame you want for your official atheist certificate.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Slightly off topic but, do you become more intelligent when youi become an Atheist or do people choose to be Atheist because the are already intelligent ?

Whatever the answer to that one, it is obvious that there are many kinds of believers , from the totally deluded JW/Fundie type up to Scientists who believe in some form of Supreme Being.

There are also many people who are very different in their views who "don't do God" and may be labelled Atheist perhaps, though the word does not fully explain their stance.

But as with the girl in the O.P it seems that the non-Theists have all the evidence and cogent arguments on their side.

• DJS
    DJS

Phiz,

Great question. Goggle it. There are a lot of good studies on intelligence. Once thought to be static, researchers now know that IQ is malleable and can change with age, better nutrition, improved education, etc. The answer to your question seems to be both.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit