I was "totally" stopped in my tracks by an "atheist" comment.

by booker-t 78 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

omg what is going on with this forum?

here is the link that won't hyperlink.

rebel8, I noticed your link has spaces in it (the "%20"s). I had the same problem the other day when I tried to embed a URL with spaces in some of my post text here. I had to just paste it in naked like you did. Nothing we can do about it, just thought I'd mention that it seems to be a forum bug.

I'd like to add another factor to DJS' statement that atheists are more intelligent, which is that higher intelligence improves socioeconomic standing and improves quality of life. When a person feels confident in their ability to provide for themself, they are less likely to feel a need to rely on God for help. We've all known someone who, by contrast, seems completely overwhelmed by life and frequently mentions that they are praying to God for help. I think it's important to keep in mind that people are born this way, so to suggest that they don't need a belief in God seems a little insensitive. Scientists have suggested that smart people also find more of a sense of purpose in their work, and a sense of community, while others may need religion to provide this.

Furthermore, the difference in IQ points in the cited study is not significant even if the correlation to IQ is statistically significant. 6 IQ points is nothing. It's 2/5 of a standard deviation. So-called genius IQ typically starts at least 35 points above the average.

• DJS
    DJS

Ag,

An average difference of 6 IQ points per individual is statistically significant, as the researchers pointed out.

• Maat13
    Maat13

Ditto Jam's comment...

I'm only here because I took the time to read the Bible and STUDY it as a JW...as a result...I'm no longer a JW or a followre of any religious affiliations.

The Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. himself said "while it [bible] is filled with Legends and Myth, there are many truths contained within it"

Maat

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

"while it [bible] is filled with Legends and Myth, there are many truths contained within it"

Any "truths" the Bible allegedly contains are not unique to the Bible.

The problem is, when a person (god; whoever) mixes myths with "truth" or truth with lies, the reader does not know what to believe, and the effort one must expend to determine what's fact and what's myth becomes burdensome.

Personally, if I meet someone who lies some of the time while other times tells the truth, or they tell fictitious stories some of the time while other times they tell true stories, but they make no distinction between the two, I have nothing to do with them.

You'd think if god existed (he doesn't) and he inspired a book to be written about himself (he didn't) he would've figured this basic principle out ahead of time if he wanted people to actually takes his Word seriously.

• designs
    designs

Just remember the Bible's most important scientific announcement- The Sun revolves around the Earth.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

And the earth is a "circle", not the sphere it actually is. Oh, and in Genesis light appeared before the luminaries were created. I like that one.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

An average difference of 6 IQ points per individual is statistically significant, as the researchers pointed out.

No, DJS, I addressed that in my post. The quote you provided states that the correlation of 0.60 (out of 1.0) is statistically significant. The difference of 6 IQ points itself is what I am saying is insignificant.

• DJS
    DJS

Ag,

Gotcha. My bad for not following along more closely. All apologies.

• Heaven
    Heaven

ADCMS said: Oh, and in Genesis light appeared before the luminaries were created. I like that one.

And Plants grew and there was night and day prior to the creation of our sun.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit