I was "totally" stopped in my tracks by an "atheist" comment.

by booker-t 78 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sittingstraight1212
    Sittingstraight1212

Just recently I really started thinking about "in the beginning". Every time I here how jah is a loving and forgiving God, he TOLD Adam not to eat from the tree. In turn Adam had to tell Eve. what the hell would anyone do if a serpent talked to you, and your not even trippin on Acid. SHE had no idea what "positively will die" meant.. There was no death yet! I said to my son over and over, don't touch... That's hot, it will burn you.. He had no concept of what burn meant or felt like . UNTIL, he touched it and burned himself. Now he understands!! So for the "first humans" why didn't God let them see what death was with an animal, in agony and pain and then death. He is not LOVING. I am loving.. I didn't kill my son for touching that HOT thing.. I taught him..and all the other times he didn't listen.. I forgave him. Why are we always taught Jah forgives and forgets sins we do.. But not for the first creation? ig there is a god... Obviously he didn't forgive and forget...cause from the day we are born we are sinners! Yay!! I'm a sinner right when I was born!!⚡️May lightening struck me⚡️

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

@ suavojr

I'm actaully tyign to see it outside of my mind for a change.

None of use can reall answer as none of us were there. We don't know do we.

But it does remind me of when I read for the first time in the Bible how the Israelites went into cities and were told to completely wipe out all the inhabitants. Men, women and children. I thought that to be extraordinarilt cruel. Untill later is was dosciovered what the inhabitannts of these cities were up to, human sacrifice, child sacrificce, bestaility, canibalism, hard core demon and spirit activities.

I'm trying not to be so quick to judge these days.. and that includes judging God of which I have no right.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

jwfacts has a great article on the scientific impossibility of the flood. Of course there is always the ubiquitous "but with God all things are possible" line. But here is my response to that. NOTHING has been hidden from humans as technology advances as far as revealing the past to us. Dinosaur bones are easily found in the fossil record as we dig them up.

So why woudl God go through the trouble of "hiding" this massive even from just a few thousand years ago, from the fossil record? Why would he allow us to see all of history...except for the flood?

It makes no sense.

I have an issue with the bible. God has the Isrealites kill babies, and act so repugnant that even criminals shutter at it. Wasn't there a guy in new Jersey that threw his 2 year old daughter strapped into her car seat into the river with weights on the bottom? Only reason he isn't getting the death penalty, is because there isn't one in New Jersey.

EVERYONE is repulsed by this. But somehow, believing that God did the same thing, through a horrible drowning death, to not just one but millions of babies and small children......is plausible while he can remain the personification of love?

Something doesn't add up.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

The flood story was the very first (though certainly not the last) thing that made me question the validity of the bible. It was just such a ridiculously farfetched way for God to get rid of bad people, and was clearly conceived by someone who didn't have even the most elementary understanding of the laws of science or nature.

• bigmac
    bigmac

the more i read ( many years ago ) of the god of the "old testament"--the more i disliked him. he lost all my respect. just a cold hearted killer.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The movie did a good job of making "The Creator" into a real jerk to mankind with the total lack of productivity upon the land and allowing such wickedness to take over, then built to a point where "The Creator" was clearly going to use these last faithful people to save animal species and not humans at all- but then "The Creator" softened.

That said, I have to agree with your atheist commentor about innocent babies. I am highly disturbed by 2004's Indian Ocean tsunami and the great loss of life in Indonesia exceeding 200 thousand, particularly children just taken in an instant by the water. There are earthquakes and other disasters galore to add to the list.

If that God exists, I want no part of it.

And there were three arks- one with Noah and family, one that went to Australia, one with the dinosaurs and unicorns and others that are not around today. That third ark sank, as it was piloted by Neanderthals that just weren't quite up to the task.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Richard Dawkins summed up the god of the OT more succinctly than anyone else:

“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it, a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.” - Richard Dawkins

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Nobody's really answered the question yet, huh? Okay. The reason why God could justly kill the babies of the sinners is that it was fair for God to punish children for the sins of their parents.

This may not sit well with modern humanity, but it was considered morally correct in Bible times. While there is a scripture saying that the Israelites are not to punish children for the sins of their fathers, there's also these scriptures about what God can do:

Exodus 20:5:

You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me

Exodus 34:7:

keeping steadfast love for thousands,forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, but who will by no means clear the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children and the children’s children, to the third and the fourth generation.

Numbers 14:18:

The Lord is slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, forgiving iniquity and transgression, but he will by no means clear the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, to the third and the fourth generation.

Deutoronomy 5:9:

You shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me

------------------

Why do you think God would punish all generations of humankind for Adam and Eve's sin, if this wasn't the principle by which God operated?

• Theredeemer
    Theredeemer

But doesnt the bible also say that God would not judge children on the sins of their fathers DEU 24:16

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Yes, that was the scripture I was referring to in my second paragraph. That was a command directed at the Israelites:

Fathers shall not be put to death because of their children, nor shall children be put to death because of their fathers. Each one shall be put to death for his own sin.

According to the four scriptures I cited, God appeared to have different standards of justice by which he could act.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit