I was "totally" stopped in my tracks by an "atheist" comment.

by booker-t 78 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• whathappened
    whathappened

Once again, I highly recommend the book "The Atheist's Book of Bible Stories," by Fred Titanich. What an eye opener. He really lays it on the line. Now I know that the one book I have spent thousands of hours studying and thought I was an expert on is really not worth the paper it's printed on.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

If the story of Noah is true....than that means that destiny is true. Everything is predetermined. Nothing you do or say can change your fate in the eyes of God. Reasoning?

BEFORE Noah started to preach, God had already told him the dimensions of the Ark. Noah then preached for decades while building the Ark. If God had already prescribed the dimensions of the Ark PRIOR to the start of Noah's preaching that would mean that God knew that no one would respond and Noah's preaching was in vain PRIOR to it commencing! If that is the case, then NOTHING....ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that you do can amount for much...you are either destinded to live or destined to die.

My take on all this, it is a Hebrew legend to further distinguish the Hebrew nation as chosen by God. Nothing more. Nothing less.

SOP

• pacloc
    pacloc

I think the Church has said that the "World" that was destroyed by flood is most likely the part of Earth that had man living on it. And as for the animals part, while still possibly being literal would represent something more significant than the actual act, a cleansing and saving work, so each literal animal would not be necessary. The meaning behind the event is what is to be learned, not the actual event. The Earth was made for man, so when man is living in such a bad way, the Earth is destroyed. But to show God's mercy, he provides escape for the righteous.

As for calling God cruel for killing babies, you must think out the argument further. What do you think caused the Flood? What do you think causes parents to kill their children today? What do you think causes diseases? What do you think causes us to grow old and die? Is it really sad that children die, is it not just as sad that anyone dies? Mankind sinning is what causes death, because to follow God is to live and never die. Do you think that those babies are doomed to annihilation? You have been reading too much JW literature. This life that has continued from the original sin is a lesson to be learned, not the final state. That is why Christians can be comforted when things do not always go right, because they know the big picture. Athiests are so mad at their vision of God, that they want everyone to feel their pain and misery that they won't allow you to believe in true justice. They would rather live by the phrase $h1t happens as I was told. The simple answer for why God flooded the world, wanted sinners to be stoned, turned Lot's Wife to salt, destroyed whole cities was To Teach Valuable Lessons for the whole human race. That does not mean that the people that were made an example of are doomed to annihilation or Hell, we do not know hearts, only God does. The point is that Sin causes death, and to learn this lesson we needed evidence. We have had so much evidence by now that God has deemed it time to send his Son 2000 years ago and to relax the physical destructions to prove points. Yet some people never learn.

Mean old God, that's an easy way out of responsibility.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

BEFORE Noah started to preach, God had already told him the dimensions of the Ark. Noah then preached for decades while building the Ark.

Just to be clear, while this is accepted by Christians today, Jews would have been baffled by your assertion that Noah preached to anyone. The Flood story does not mention anyone being warned by God or Noah. The idea that Noah was a preacher was introduced in Hebrews by the book's unknown writer.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Viv: And what would that problem be?

Answer: explaining it to rational people with a straight face.

@ pacloc: As for calling God cruel for killing babies, you must think out the argument further.

You should have stopped at "As".

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Pacloc; thats the biggest pac of garbage I've read in a while

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

I'm still waiting for someone to answer my question....it goes well with the original post:

If everyone that dies before Armageddon get a ressurection, why aren't JW's just out killing people to ensure they get to the Millinial Reign....why bother with field service??

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Congrats! That's the feeling of your eyes opening.

So if it is just a story, why did Jesus believe it? Was he fooled as well? Keep following this train of thought.

then do the same with the Adam and Eve story, and finally Jesus. Good luck

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

@ daringhart: If everyone that dies before Armageddon get a ressurection, why aren't JW's just out killing people to ensure they get to the Millinial Reign....why bother with field service??

-

According to WT dogma, everyone who hears WTs message now but fails to respond (i.e. becomes a Jehovah's Witness) is doomed; conversely, those who don't have the "privilege" of hearing WTs message will be resurrected.

To your point, the question then becomes: aren't JWs doing people a disservice by preaching?? If JWs did no preaching at all, then, in theory, 100% of the people Jehovahâ„¢ murders at Armageddon are eligible for a resurrection.

You're seeking an answer to the conundrum, but there's no answer that'll make any sense. Live your life.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

This is simply a story told and retold through the years, embellished with each telling until it was written down. It was probably a local flood, that some guy survived because he and his family and their milk cow lived in a wooden house on a hill, while his neighbors lived in caves.

There is as much chance that this actually happened as written as there is that The Wizard of Oz actually happened.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit