I was "totally" stopped in my tracks by an "atheist" comment.

by booker-t 78 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• booker-t
    booker-t

I must admit I can at times be a little "egotistical" when it comes to knowledge and the bible. I have studied the bible for so long and have always had a passion for the bible as a jw and as an ex-jw. I guess that is all I have left when it comes to religion and as humans we do tend to stroke our egos. But I have to admit an "atheist" co-worker of mine totally caught me off guard with a comment that I was at a lost for an answer. Somehow we were talking about the Noah movie and I told her it must have been interesting to be on the ark back then. And she told me" the Noah story is full of bologna and religious people should tear the story out of their bibles". I asked her why she was so adimant about the authenticity of the Noah story? And she said"If Jehovah is so all loving as people believe, then why did he save animals over babies?" She went on to say there must have been thousands of innocent babies that drowned but Jehovah made sure animals made it on the ark. Why couldn't Jehovah save the babies and let them make it on the ark?" I could not answer this question and I still cannot answer it. It does seem cruel that Jehovah would save animals over babies. So are animals more important to Jehovah then innocent babies? She also made another good point when she said religions argue and fight over trival stuff such as doctrine, greek translations, did Jesus die on a cross, holidays, etc; but they never look at the main thing they should question and that is the bible. I think this girl was right and religious people do turn a "blind" eye to the contradictions of the bible. I cannot believe I even had the nerve to question her when I have always doubted the Noah story. Somehow I just could never swallow it as a jw and as a ex-jw. It just seem so "fairytale" and I have always wondered if it was just a "parable". Posters what do you think of this comment by my coworker? Please no jw-bashing or born-again bashing this is a human question.

• baltar447
    baltar447

It's a fairy tale. Nuff' said.

That being said, the Noah movie fits more in line with Gnosticism than it does with the biblical account of the flood. Also read Gilgamesh, predates Noah.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Well, you see [ CO like to say "you see", like it makes what he says true], ahem... Jeehoober knew he could resurrect those babies and animals won't be resurrected. To be honest the babies died swiftly, 3-4 minutes tops. Noah needed those animals for food later, and those animals had to super-evolve into the millions of life-forms today. It just makes sense.

DD

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

She has a great piont, I'm going to try to get my kids to question the bible. The Noah story is a copy of much older stories and most Christians don't know this.

• rebel8
    rebel8

There are some pretty good websites with detailed analyses of the ark story. Too much to even post here. IMO the ark story is one of the clearest examples of why the bible isn't true. There is just so much incorrect and impossible about the story. There is just no way it could be true.

• Bob_NC
    Bob_NC

How about the garden of Eden test-em-with-a-fruit-tree? Who came up with this idea to test the perfect creation? And the consequences so dire? Did he have not a clue how it might turn out for inexperienced humans? And it was "all good" we are told. All so good that 1/3 of the heavens turned away and 100% of the "perfect" humans.

And supposedly we are all still suffering pain, sickness, and death until the creator's point is proven. Sounds rather ridiculous if you ask me.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

booker -t When I learned TTATT I was going through a bad divorce. I feared for my life. My Elder's were not helping me. My whole world was crashing. A few months later, after posting and reading here on JWN, it came into my mind for the first time, that all of it (religion) was a con game and full of lies, including the Bible, Koran, Book of Mormon. The bad people will not get any judgement. They will just die, like all living things do.

I leapt forward in understand life, that day.

Is today your day to leap forward in understanding about life, the Bible, silly stories, religion, prayer, etc ?

LoisLane

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

It was this sort of thing that led me to a bigger question:

If everyone killed before Armageddon is guaranteed a resurrection.....why aren't JW's commanded to buy a good gun and go around shooting everyone they see....screaming "you can thank me in Paradise"......instead of drudging from door to door making it all optional? If you were really "loving" wouldn't you just kill people and let Jehovah sort it out in Paradise?????

Otherwise, they may not read a Watchtower......which would cost them eternal life.

Yeah.....

.......the absurdity is truly infinite.......

• Jon Preston
    Jon Preston

wife and i have been over this many times and still cant come up with any real or logical answer...

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Why would an atheist use the term Jehovah to describe God?

Was the name Jehovah used in the Movie ?

I haven't seen it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit