Is it just me or has this site become a Believer/Atheist warzone?

by BU2B 288 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

FHN.

I am quite capable of reading the title of the thread. In fact, I am very capable of reading it. This is a discussion forum. As I said before, based on past posts that you made, you appear to be a person who likes people to agree. I suppose I do so. The OP may be incorrect in terming this a "war." I feel it was low to target Cofty. It would be low to target any single person b/c we all make this forum.

Many here see no war. One person's war is another person's peace. I vote for freedom to post as you feel best. It can't be run any other way. I will take the disagreements here over the WT's unity. I know I become triggered when someone abrogates God for themselves. Anway, it is a discussion forum. I saw no rule that we could not disagree when I joined.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Did you read all of my and Cofty's posts on this thread, Band? I know you're a very capable, intelligent person. Did you read all our posts to each other? If you did, you wouldn't have needed to ask me this:

What has this become the dump on Cofty question time?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

People don't need to agree, Band. People will get further in these athiest/theist thread discussions without the things I mentioned in my comments, especially at the beginning. No need to make someone the butt of jokes to discuss whether god exists or not. No need to turn every thread, no matter what it is about, into an atheist/theist battle. You should be able to make a thread or comment about the vast variety of dogs, without someone jumping all over you about god or gods. You should be able to talk about the "miracle of the birth of your brand new grandchild", without someone jumping all over you about your belief that birth is a miracle.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Personal belief, when kept personal offends no one and invites no public ridicule. Personal belief worn like a fancy hat is a public message and will be responded to.

• Brother Mike
    Brother Mike

This place is very hostile.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

It can be but it can also be very loving. That is the beauty and the danger of sharing ideas without a script. As our relative viewpoints change we realise that what was once received as harsh was actually kindness and that which was once seen as concerned friendship was actually empty kinship. Sometimes the free, beautifully illustrated magazine promising love and beach balls is poison.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

FHN,

Let me note that we did not take a vote on this forum and appoint you our monitor. No, there is not even a process for a group vote here. We don't have polls. I mean real polls. Not like JWSurvey, though JW Survey uses fake polling as a means of educating people concerning the WTBTS. If you visit other forums, people disagree there. We all come from different points. How would Simon even give notice of such a vote? No, this forum is what this forum is.

I don't like people lecturing others so I believe you are starting controversy here. Of course, we all look forward to a voice hearer's expostiion. I remain confused as to whether there is a voice or not. B/c I believe all Christians hear an internal voice or direction. We are raised with certain principles and several books of scripture concerning Jesus or how to live as a Christian. If hearing voices is defined that way, I hear voices, too. It just seems to be an off way of describing it. Heck, every member of any religion feels beliefs internally. It all depends on the usage. Atheists hear voices, too.

I refuse to read fundamentalist works. Mysticism is more my style. The language certainly is awkward. Did C.S. Lewis hear an imperative from Christ to write his classic works?

The JWs certainly like to control. EX JWs seem to like to control. I like this site to be flexible.

• mrhhome
    mrhhome

Wow. Maybe this place has become a warzone. My opinions.

(1) The references to the "Flying Spaghetti Monster" are a legitmate way of making points. Yes, it may be offensive to theist. However, the theist need to deal with it. Just like the atheists need to learn to deal with people talking about salvation.

(2) FHN makes some very valid points about the tone of the discourse. The title question "Is it just me or has this site become a Believer/Atheist warzone?" Addressing the tone of the discourse is completely relevant.

(3) Now time for direct confrontation. Cofty, your behavior on this thread has really been poor. You have repeatedly engaged in personal attacks.

I have said it before and I will say it again. (a) The atheist seem to engage in personal attacks more frequently than the theists. (b) The name calling is not conducive to spreading the word about TATT. It reinforces what the JW say about non-believers. What do you think a doubting JW will think when they stumble across this board?

• mrhhome
    mrhhome

How may of you who cite science and discuss philosophy are (a) scientist and (b) read any philosophy?

• cofty
    cofty

What do you think a doubting JW will think when they stumble across this board?

I hope they will be made to think by some of the excellent threads that expose the errors of the Watchtower. Among them are some of my finest contributions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit