Is it just me or has this site become a Believer/Atheist warzone?

by BU2B 288 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

Sarcasm used intelligently is a powerful tool. It punctures pomposity.

There is a popular opinion in the UK that Americans don't get irony, I wonder if there is some truth in it?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

No, no Cofty, it's ironing! Americans don't get ironing.

• cofty
    cofty

hahaha silly me!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Yo fellows are more intelligent than this. You are avoiding the logic, in order to defendthe use of proven ineffective ways to try to convince athiests or thiests, diests, agnostics or the simply spiritual, of the oppsing argument. Cofty, sarcasm.indeed hasits uses. Im a fan of the deft and witty use of intelligent sarcsm. In this case however, it only serves to make the debater and those in his/her camp, amused. It does nothing to sway the target of the sarcssm Im posting with my tiny smartphone. Ido apologize for mistsakes in typing.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Pomposity and sarcasm go hand in hand,

• cofty
    cofty

Realistically, theists will not give up their belief in the middle of a debate.

People with an enquring mind who are reading a debate are influenced by facts and evidence, especially when it is contrasted with dogma and appeals to emotion. Sarcasm can be very effective to emphasise the difference.

I also know that people who are initially offended, sometimes reflect later and realise that their anger is because they had no answers.

You must let people be themselves and debate with their own style.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Ill come back when I have my pc accessible. Try just telling why you believe there is no God. Youre an athiest. The point is to educate, isnt it? Not to proselytize.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Cofty, remember the intention of this thread. what is the OP asking?

• cofty
    cofty

The answer to the OP is no.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I get irony, Cofty. I find it ironic that ex jws, either believers or unbelievers, can leave the organization and continue to use the acerbic approach of the WTB&TS, to keep insisting that everyone agree with their new found beliefs or philosophy, including atheism. It's a post JW trait that I have to watch for in myself, too. I find it ironic that some atheists are very bothered by evangelism, but are so deeply steeped in similar behavior that they don't see it in themselves. It makes sense to spread the word about handwashing or sneezing into your elbow, to prevent the spread of disease causing microbes, but how far will the person get with teaching people about preventing the spread of disease causing microbes, if the educator approaches them in an mocking, caustic way? If you feel you can't get anywhere, trying to reason your side out with believers, then being abrasive is going to help whom? Again, it's just making believers the butt of sarcastic jokes. Why are there these continuing wars between athiests and believers on JWN? It's ironic that neither side sees how alike they are in their ineffective abrasiveness. They continue, day after day, to meet for the same battles, but continue to get nowhere. Someone, please, here's a shovel, board, salt and gravel: you don't have to spin your wheels, stuck in the snow forever.

sar·casm / ˈsɑrkæzəm / Show Spelled [ sahr -kaz- uh m ] Show IPA

noun 1. harsh or bitter derision or irony . 2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.

Origin:
    1570–80; < Late Latin sarcasmus < Greek sarkasmós, derivative of sarkázein to rend (flesh), sneer; see sarco-
    Related forms su·per·sar·casm, noun
    Synonyms
    1. sardonicism, bitterness, ridicule. See irony 1 . 2. jeer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit