Is it just me or has this site become a Believer/Atheist warzone?

by BU2B 288 Replies latest jw friends

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I have a good friend and work colleague who is a staunch believer and I twigged the other day about what makes his religious pronouncements so obnoxious despite him otherwise being a respected team member. It's simply that when we enter a communication part of that engagement is allowing room to disagree and when he talks about his faith he makes the only option direct contradiction. The statement 'I believe in Slenderman' is socially more graceful than 'Slenderman visits us all at night.'

• Simon
    Simon

Jesus H. Christ Tec, did you think I was inviting a sermon from you?

I cannot prove that to you.

You cannot prove anything to anyone - that's the point.

There is nothing that I can say that will make you believe that

Exactly, so why not stop telling us about it? We're never going to be convinced that your belief isn't simply a manifestation of a mental illness.

Why can't you understand that WE DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT. We just don't care unless the voices start telling you to kill in which case we have more of an interest in having you treated.

Oh, and how do you know it's "Him" and not the anti-Him that you hear ... "Him" is not going to be happy if he comes back and you've been listening to the other guy who's misled you. 'Cause that's what anti-Him does, that's why you can't see Him so he can fool you. You should do the opposite of everything he told you to please the real Him.

• adamah
    adamah

Simon said-

Oh, and how do you know it's "Him" and not the anti-Him that you hear ... "Him" is not going to be happy if he comes back and you've been listening to the other guy who's misled you. 'Cause that's what anti-Him does, that's why you can't see Him so he can fool you. You should do the opposite of everything he told you to please the real Him.

My voice tells me to expect a response shortly from TEC, explaining the need to "test all utterances" compared to the Greatest commandment.

No, I've not been given the gift of prophecy from God by hearing His voice; the prediction is based on her past ability for performing feats of circular logic, LOL!

• Simon
    Simon

I twigged the other day about what makes his religious pronouncements so obnoxious despite him otherwise being a respected team member. It's simply that when we enter a communication part of that engagement is allowing room to disagree and when he talks about his faith he makes the only option direct contradiction

That's it in a nutshell.

• Simon
    Simon

My voice tells me to expect a response shortly from TEC, explaining the need to "test all utterances"

Yes, probably.

But how do you test any message is genuine? You can't - it's not like there is some spiritual Public Key Encryption to ensure the authenticity of the sender and, well, there is everything in the bible so you can claim anything is truth. It's why so many hate groups quote it because it enables any belief you want.

• tornapart
    tornapart

Well, my first post on this thread and I'm with BU2B in his OP on this one.....

• tec
    tec

If you consider my responses to your comments about my faith as a sermon... then how can I respond to you at all, Simon?

Why can't you understand that WE DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT

I can and do understand that you (and some others) don't want to hear it. But at the same time, some here do. And often enough it is the ones who claim not to want to hear about it who ask the most questions.

I am not trying to argue with you or anyone.

• tec
    tec

Band, if you have any questions at all about my faith, then just ask me. Not on this thread, but in pm perhaps would probably be best.

Peace to you,

tammy

• Twitch
    Twitch

And often enough it is the ones who claim not to want to hear about it who ask the most questions.

Questions such as "could you lay off the preaching please"?

lol

Seems to me if one really wants peace, then one must do their part to keep it.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Tammy,

I would like to hear b/c I still don't know. It appears your theology is based solely that Christ talks to you. I've been trying to figure out for a long time. There is no need for a PM bc I don't engage in communication with people who think Chirst talks to them. I find it a basic Christian violation. In my old age, I am allowing myself some prejudices. It is just the way I am. If I am flawed, I am flawed. We are on a forum together.

I still don't know whether Christ literally talks to you - in what language. Furthermore, I did not that you think in WT terms with focus on OT concepts. I believe we have very differing views of Christ's nature. Part of what happens is that people might be interested in your views but you don't express them. I am sorry if I was rude to you. Shelby and you seem to hear similar messages which I find bizarre. There are only a few Christian denominations of which I am aware that trumpet OT teachings. The baby teeth is the key. I had no idea about the tailbone and Jewish religion until another member posted that info.

I doubt Jewish people know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit