Atheists know more about the bible!

by Comatose 157 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

cofty(who i do respect) thinks im willfully ignorant and i think he is - unstop

I have spent half a lifetime studying religion and the bible. I have a broad understanding of a range of conservative and liberal theologies. I was an evangelical christian for 9 years. I used to preach the gospel from the pulpit. How on earth can you call me wilfully ignorant?

You have chosen to belive in an ancient creation myth without ever reading a single science book.

• zound
    zound

@tammy

Would you test this 'voice' of christ?

Meaning for example: Ask christ to tell you a random number that I pm in advance to another member here - you ask christ to tell you this number, then post your answer and me and the other member will post a copy of the pm with time stamp etc on it.

Easy way to clear up if this voice is christ's or just your own mind.

Willing to give that shot?

• tec
    tec

i believe jesus is eternal(not sure if she does) i believe in literal hell(i dont think she does) .

Yes, and no, consecutively ; )

i like the example of jesus in luke 18:18-26. this rich man asked jesus what he needed to do to have salvation. jesus told him, the man did not like it and left. jesus did not chase him down and try to convince him or force him to believe.

Yes, absolutely. Plus as to the politics and religion thing... some seem to overlook what Christ said, that His kingdom is no part of this world. That he will return to establish his kingdom. Yet, how many 'christians' out there fight and think that they can create and establish it themselves? They are neither listening TO Him, nor putting faith IN Him.

Doesn't mean you can't vote or anything like that. But you cannot force Christ on others; and you cannot set up a government (kingdom) in his name, fighting wars in his name (He would not allow His own followers to fight for Him, to prevent his arrest or crucifixion).

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Would you test this 'voice' of christ?

No, not in your experiment. ANd yes, I did see Bohms thread regarding this, lol. But I think he should just be grateful that the guy (who admitted from the start that he did not think he could do it... though it does not wholly depend upon him) did not hear the number from Christ; as Bohm would be following that guy around ; )

Now, you can think of my refusal however you like. I may start a thread of my own on the 'merits' of putting faith and worshipping... in spirit and truth; rather than on the basis of a 'test'...or 'sign'... even though Christ said no SIGN would be given except the sign of Jonah.

Peace,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

I may start a thread of my own

Would make a change from trolling.

• zound
    zound

I'd rather not presume why you are refusing - could you tell me?

No, not in your experiment.

We can come to an agreement as to the guidelines of the experiment if you like.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Well I'm still morphing into what I'll be. But, personally for me, if god was exactly as portrayed in the OT and he did want them to kill the babies and take virgins etc, I just have a problem with it. There is lots of stuff in the OT that I can't make fit with the Jehovah version of god the JW's believe in. They make mental leaps to show god is always loving despite the things I would consider barbaric by todays standards. Then they say gods standards never change... I can't make it fit.

Being 100% honest, I do choose not serve the god that would do those things. If there was a hell then maybe I'd get to be a Lieutenant in the devils army or something.

I don't believe that if there was a god he would have a hell or do what the OT says he would do. I can't see how he could if he was perfect and didnt have human emotions since he would be a spirit and all knowing etc.

Too many pieces do not fit. I enjoy science and I think it answers many things. In the end I don't really think I ever have to know 100%. I'm a good person, I try to do good. I would imagine that would be enough for a supreme god.

Just my perspective. I try to face the truth of my actions. I accept there could be a god who guided evolution, but I think he did, then he wouldn't be the type of god that is described in the bible and would condemn people to hell...

I guess I'm satisfied with myself and my state of unbelief and uncertainty.

• bohm
    bohm

Zound: you might want to check yout this thread where a born again christian tried to convert me by asking god to reveal something about me.

www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/266063/1/Conversation-with-a-christian-today-or-How-the-holy-spirit-got-it-wrong

• bohm
    bohm

What happened to aguests website? It seems like people are coming back..

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

cofty: your ignorance is not about your head knowlegde and experiance in church and bible. but in a higher power.even a 5 year old knows that a painting was painted by a painter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit