Atheists know more about the bible!

by Comatose 157 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

“It is odd how people can read the whole bible, and miss the point... that it is a witness that points TO Christ, as the Truth and the one God said to listen TO.” – tec

Really, really, so all the genocide, rape, incest, murder and slavery is just to point one freaking guy, really?

• tec
    tec

Kate, How does he make the point more clear than saying "This is my Son, whom I have chosen (or love depending upon your bible version). Listen to Him."

Or all the times that Christ said (in addition to the verse I quoted above):

Or, "I am the Truth, the Way, the Life."

Or, "If you have seen me, you have seen the Father also."

Or, "If you know me, you know my Father also."

Or, "The reason you do not know my Father, is because you do not know me."

Coma, it is relevant to the discussion because the atheists being spoken of in your OP become atheists 'by reading the bible'... and not because of the Truth (Christ), or the Truth about God. Those believers who are going to become atheists due to the reasoning in your OP also do not understand that they are to look to Christ. And you're right... many believers do NOT know their bible or what is written; but neither do the atheists who became atheists by reading the bible, or they would know that they are meant to look at Christ, to see and to know God.

Atheists pick and choose what verses to believe and what verses to discard, or they might look a little more closely at the above verses. Becaues what is really happening is that people are replacing Christ as the image of God, with the bible as the image of God, in contrary to what that book, itself, states.

I would just fire back that the bible claims that all of its books and verses are inspired by god.

But that would be a false claim, as it does not make that claim. So that would be a perfect example of knowing something that is written... but failing to understand what it means. DUE to the fact that man has traditionally said that 2 Timothy states that the entire bible, all books and verses, are inspired by God. But it does not state that. That is a spin that man has put on that verse, and well... that spin does a good job 'creating' atheists.

Peace,

tammy

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

“Kate, How does he make the point more clear than saying "This is my Son, whom I have chosen (or love depending upon your bible version). Listen to Him."

Or all the times that Christ said (in addition to the verse I quoted above):

Or, "I am the Truth, the Way, the Life."

Or, "If you have seen me, you have seen the Father also."

Or, "If you know me, you know my Father also."

Or, "The reason you do not know my Father, is because you do not know me." - tec

Ma’am, with all due respect, you are just cherry-picking scriptures right now. Remember that your deity also said that:

The "natural use" of a woman is to serve the physical needs of men (Romans 1:27). "The head of the woman is the man" (1 Corinthians 11:3). "For the husband is the head of the wife" (Ephesians 5:22-24; see also Colossians 3:18; 1 Peter 3:1). Even old women must be "obedient to their husbands" (Titus 2:3, 5). Women are to be silent in church, for they're all stupid and therefore must listen to men. "If they [women] will learn anything, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in church" (1 Corinthians 14:34-35). In fact, women are NEVER to hold positions of authority over men and are never to teach, but rather must "learn in silence with all subjection" (1 Timothy 2:9). Women are subordinate to men because of the sin of Eve for which all women must be punished (1 Timothy 2:14-15).

And this is only if you are female, because you forgot that:

Jesus told the apostles that He had not come to destroy the law of the prophets of old, rather, He had come to fulfill that law (Matthew 5:17). Jesus approved of his Father's command that children who curse their parents are to be put to death (Matthew 15:3-4). Jesus chastised the Pharisees for failing to kill those children who defied their parents' commands (Mark 7:9-13). Jesus told us we are to live our lives in fear of God for God has the power not only to kill us, but to torture us forever in Hell (Luke 12:5). Jesus never contradicted his Father's.

The smell of blood and roasted corpses was not just pleasing to God, who especially enjoyed the aroma after the Great Flood (Genesis 8:21), it was enjoyed by Jesus as well. Jesus certainly wasn't averse to malicious, virulent punishments to those who didn't accept His every word as Gospel. To name but a few, Jesus told the disciples to bring before Him any man who didn't believe in Him, and to violently slaughter the non-believer while Jesus watched (Luke 19:27). Jesus killed one man by having his body eaten by a swarm of worms because the man failed to give Jesus His due (Acts 12:23). Jesus struck a Jew blind for thwarting His teachings (Acts 13:8-11). He struck a man dumb for failing to listen well (Luke 1:20). He took the lives of a husband and wife by scaring them to death for not forking over all the money they made on a real estate transaction (Acts 5:1-10). During one particularly temperamental time when Jesus was hungry, He even killed a fig tree for failing to bear figs, even though Jesus knew figs weren't in season (Mark 11:12-14). Jesus means business!

I can play cherry picking to.

Ismael

• Comatose
    Comatose

Tec, that is YOUR truth. Just because you believe it does not make it so. People believe many crazy things. You throw out 90% of the bible and claim 10% is true and about your personal jesus and that your truth is right. Look at yourself and your beliefs from a fresh perspective and from an outsiders perspective.

You cannot say parts of the bible are total junk and untrue, and then the parts written by anonymous authors concerning someone they did not know are true. You say listen to Jesus, when if you were honest you would admit that you don't really know what Jesus when on earth.

• cofty
    cofty

It is odd how people can read the whole bible, and miss the point... that it is a witness that points TO Christ - Tammy

Christians who read the bible through this sort of filter have no respect for the text.

How can you be so narrow minded as to assert that thousands of years of Jewish history and religious mythology had anything to do with your dead carpenter?

• Comatose
    Comatose

Also congratulations... I even took the bait. Now we can have yet another thread about your personal jesus who actually talks to you and how you are right and the bible is wrong except for the handful of Tammy approved verses.

• cofty
    cofty

It kills almost every potentially interesting thread.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Kate, How does he make the point more clear than saying "This is my Son, whom I have chosen (or love depending upon your bible version). Listen to Him."-Tammy

What about the Messiah of the old testiment? Shouldn't we listen to him? Why did God bury this clear point in paper, and socket pedestals, and fine linen with blue thread and brass pommegrantes (Leviticus)? How do we know what Jesus said anyway? Men wrote the Bible, there is no evidence God was involved with this process, an example of this is the Apostle Paul's sexist writings.

How can you be so narrow minded as to assert that thousands of years of Jewish history and religious mythology had anything to do with your dead carpenter?-cofty

I would like the answer to that question, I would phrase it more like, how can we be sure Jesus Christ of the NT the promised Messiah of the OT?

Kate xx

• Mr Fool
    Mr Fool

No, there are no contraditcions in the Bible. That´s why I wonder what this means:

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Another good thread bites the dust....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit