Atheists know more about the bible!

by Comatose 157 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LucidChimp
    LucidChimp

Growing up dubbish I found it hilarious that any christians I bumped into never seemed to know their bibles.

As an atheist I find it frightening that most believers don't know their holy books.

Perspective's a bitch.

• yadda yadda 2
  • MadGiant
    MadGiant

“If a man would follow, today, the teachings of the Old Testament, he would be a criminal. If he would follow strictly the teachings of the New, he would be insane.” - Robert G. Ingersoll (1833 – 1899)

“Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.” ― Isaac Asimov

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

"Ignorance is the curse of God; knowledge is the wing wherewith we fly to heaven." - William Shakespeare

"I find it kind of contrary to be so well versed in something you don't believe in. I guess I understand that you must have an original argument to counter... I'm not that argumentative anymore. But I did do that when I first learned TTAT - really immersed myself in all things wt in order to find the flaws." - W

Don't you think that this statement contradict the next sentence?

"It's been said many times that we 'apostates' know more about wt doctrines than most jws who are at every meeting. In a way it's necessary, but it's still kinda sad that I had to waste so much time on it." - W

Remember that usually you turn "apostate" when you gain knowledge.

In my opinion, religious or not, is obtaining Knowledge the important part. Knowledge to make an informed decision.

Knowledge is a familiarity with someone or something, which can include facts, information, descriptions, or skills acquired through experience or education.

• cofty
    cofty

It's amazing how little most believers know about the bible. In fact they seem to know very little about their beliefs in general.

I doubt there are many who actually believe a fraction of the things they claim to - thank god!

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

i agree that alot of ppl who believe in god, have a huge misunderstanding of who god is because they dont read the bible. and yes some who have a "god" whom they believe in and think its the god of the bible are shocked when they learn something about god they did not know.for example some would say that god is love and therfore he loves everyone and there is no hell. but if they read the bible and see that god does hate pslams 11:5 and gods wrath remains on pp john 3:36 than they have to face the fact that they had an idol not the god of the bible. and some would not want a god who is not like they want him to be. so it comes as no shock when ppl who dont read the bible, learn something and run away from faith.

• cofty
    cofty

It's interesting that you have anchored your god to a book unstop.

That makes your faith very vulnerable. You can only sustain belief in the bible by avoiding centuries of biblical scholarship.

• adamah
    adamah

Watkins said- I find it kind of contrary to be so well versed in something you don't believe in.

Aside from her amazing knowledge of the Bible as a historian, Leolaia also used that amazing brain of hers to become an expert on the various conspiracy theories that float about, in order to debunk and dismantle the claims of "9/11 truthers", etc. She obviously didn't believe in them, but it's the same phenomena of human nature at work in the Bible as in conspiracy theories: humans have a need to make sense of their environment, and the human imagination is quite capable of making up answers if it's allowed to run unbounded by actual evidence. I'd say believing in conspiracy theories and in God(s) are both merely symptoms of the same underlying drive to establish cause and effect, to "connect the dots" even if the dots were generated at random.

Cofty said- I doubt there are many who actually believe a fraction of the things they claim to - thank god!

I'm not sure what's worse: being unable to recognize the horrific amorality that's actually contained in the Bible, or the ease with which one can 'cherry-pick' and reinterpret the Bible in order ustify acts in the name of God.

Adam

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

cofty: i think your reading beyond what im saying, the bible is gods word to us.

• cofty
    cofty

Thank god for benevolent hypocrisy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit