Atheists know more about the bible!

by Comatose 157 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Without the bible nobody would know a single thing about the dead carpenter.

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

"cofty: i would say you are coming from a postion that the 66 books of the bible are not the word of god, and you as well have to jump through hoops and do mental gymnastics to logically not believe in a creator." - unstop

With all due respect:
    Do you really believe the whole world is in a world of crap because a talking snake told a naked lady to eat a piece of fruit?

Read that question a couple of times out loud.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Tammy - I got behind on this thread, so this a post from you a while back. But, how could I possibly match up with you in bible knowledge when you just toss out the verses I use?

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

if by your question your asking if i believe in the genesis account than yes, i do believe it is literal.

• tec
    tec

And that's the case with your god and your book.

Yes, Christ shows the truth, and is the Life. Listening to Him will keep you from the poison 'recipes' in that or any other book, or walk of life.

How do you reconcile your christ with this guy?

Matthews
    Jesus sends some devils into a herd of pigs, causing them to run off a cliff and drown in the waters below. 8:32

He SAVED the man that was being possessed. Bound those demons, keeping them from re-entering that man, or any other man (or woman).

Families will be torn apart because of Jesus (this is one of the few "prophecies" in the Bible that has actually come true). "Brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death." 10:21

Yes, families are torn apart because of the Truth. Some do not want to hear or see or live the Truth... and some DO. There is a natural divide between those who follow a lie, and those who follow the truth. It is not those who follow Christ who put their families OUT... and become their enemy... it is those who follow the LIE that put their families our and deliever up brothers to death (such as those in the wts who deliver up brothers to their death... shunning/df'ing, since you cannot actually stone people in the western world)

Jesus condemns entire cities to dreadful deaths and to the eternal torment of hell because they didn't care for his preaching. 11:20-24

There is no hell (eternal torment). There is the outer darkness... those who do not HAVE life in them, life that is in Christ. And those cities that repented upon hearing the truth, condemn those who actually hear and see Christ, with all the miracles accompanying him, and still do not repent or believe. Because if the one could do it with less... then this 'generation' that He speaks of, should have been able to do it with all the evidence that they were given.

However, all Israel is saved (on the basis of the promise God made to Abraham); all Israel is simply not ruling the kingdom, because they rejected the Christ sent to them. (144000 from every tribe of Israel IS reserved to rule as kings and priests with Christ, though)

Mark
    Jesus explains why he speaks in parables: to confuse people so they will go to hell. 4:11-12

Again... no hell.

And these people do not WANT to see or hear; they want to listen to what others tell them, they want to have their ears 'tickled', they do not want truth... they look everywhere but at Christ... so they do NOT see or hear.

Any city that doesn't "receive" the followers of Jesus will be destroyed in a manner even more savage than that of Sodom and Gomorrah. 6:11

Mark 5:11...

If any place wil not welcome you or listen to you, shake the dust off your feet when you leave, as a testimony against them.

John
    People are damned or saved depending only on what they believe. 3:18, 36

There is no judgment for those who are in Christ. His blood covers them. That is true. (not everyone who claims to be in Christ IS in Christ, as His own words show... "away from me, I never knew you")

But there are those who are also invited into the kingdom, that Christ knows... even though they might not have known Him.

God may also have mercy upon whomever He chooses.

Those who do not believe in Jesus will be cast into a fire to be burned. 15:6

See above.

Now tell me, would you trust this guy?

Maybe not the guy you describe... but Christ, yes, absolutely. HE also said that it is men's own words and deeds that judge them. By the measure they use, it will be used against them. Show no mercy? Do not expect mercy to be shown to you. Do not forgive others? Do not expect that you deserve to BE forgiven for your own sins.

Christ offers Life.

Peace to you,

tammy

• Comatose
    Comatose

No joke here, I'd love to see a square off with Tammy and Unstop. Because, I happen to agree with Unstop. If you are going to believe the bible you have to take the whole thing. You can't throw out parts you don't like or understand.

I also apologize for complaining earlier about thread going off topic. I have posted off topic before. It wasn't the off topic I was frustrated with, it was the argument that Jesus speaks to us and the bible is only valuable in so as where it agrees with speaking jesus. I just know where that subject goes...

• cofty
    cofty

if by your question your asking if i believe in the genesis account than yes, i do believe it is literal. - unstop

Then you have chosen wilfull ignorance. You have no excuse.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Tammy - Does it even phase you how easily you can just explain away the contradictions in the bible? Did you ever have a problem with the contradictions before? Have you always felt the way you do?

Would you agree with the premise that most atheists know more about the bible than Christians? Or do you find fault with the study?

• zound
    zound

@ unstoppableravens

Do you also hear some kind of 'voice' from christ like Tammy?

• tec
    tec

I got behind on this thread, so this a post from you a while back. But, how could I possibly match up with you in bible knowledge when you just toss out the verses I use?

I don't toss out the verses you use. I try to explain why they do not say or prove what you think they say or prove. You can believe the bible as a whole if you want to. (even though the conclusion of the whole is that Christ is the Truth... and why would someone need to be sent AS the truth, if everything was right beforehand?)

But there is no reason for believing that it is all or nothing, other than that man has MADE it all or nothing. Christ did not do that. The book itself speaks of the lying pen of the scribes (which does not have to mean deliberate lies); and Christ says "WOE to the scribes." And you have to ignore the contradictions, ignore Christ's own words (and I am NOT speaking just about the things He teaches in the spirit... you can disregard that if you choose... and STILL be able to look toward what He is written as teaching as being the Truth, over anything else)

You can't throw out parts you don't like or understand.

I agree, and I don't do that. Has nothing to do with what i like or not. And if i don't understand something, I set it aside until such a time as I am able to hear what it means, or see what it means.

I also apologize for complaining earlier about thread going off topic. I have posted off topic before. It wasn't the off topic I was frustrated with, it was the argument that Jesus speaks to us and the bible is only valuable in so as where it agrees with speaking jesus. I just know where that subject goes...

Thank you for that.

Please know that I never took this conversation there. Because we do have what Christ is WRITTEN to have said in the bible as well, and as He is the Truth, He is the one who is written of being from the beginning, He is the one who KNOWS what is true and what is false.

Peace to you,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit