Atheists know more about the bible!

by Comatose 157 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

i believe if you are going to believe the bible than believe all of it, - unstop

Please explain the logic of that.

It is beyond my understanding how anybody can believe that collection of books is anything but a work of superstitious humans. It's as if the entire Age of Enlightenment passed you by.

• tec
    tec

My bad Tammy apologies. Cofty was being flippant and it was retorical. It just got me thinking. I have sincere questions about the bible. I sould do a thread of my own

I didn't mean to put any blame on you, Kate. I apologize also. I will answer the question here if you like... or watch for the thread that you start, and be happy to join in the discussion.

As an ex-JW in a conservative evangelical church I would have to say that the majority of the church had a mediocre bible knowledge at best.

I think most of them are content to leave it to the pastor to tell then what the bibe means. They have lots of books and pamphlets designed to make them feel good which they seem to confuse with bible study.

I agree, so that when confronted with what is written in it, and without Christ as the basis for their faith, their 'foundation' (if that is in a pastor, a religion, church teachings, or the bible and what they thin it says), crumbles. Some will turn to Christ... and listen to His words (either written or spoken), and some will not.

Tammy, a yes or no answer, please: are there any contradictions to be found in God's word, the Bible?

YES or NO?

You are asking two questions above. No... there are no contradictions in God's Word. (Christ) Yes... there are contradictions in the bible. As mr.fool pointed out on the page before, which I already gave my agreement to.

Would you use that book?

Those would have to be some awesome recipes, lol. Like maybe the kind that give LIFE? So.. no... not unless there was a way to determine which recipes were the poison ones, and which ones give life ; )

Even so, my faith is not based on the book... but upon the one the book points toward: Christ, the Spirit, who is alive.

Tammy, do you believe in Christ? I suppose you will say "yes".

Actually, I will say that I KNOW he exists.

Do you believe that He exists? If you answer is "yes", you have a big problem with your belief. Right?!! (Because it´s meanless to believe in something you already know, IF you really KNOW)

Agreed.

But if I ask you this; "Do you KNOW that he exists?" (not 99.99999...% sure, but exactely 100% sure, beyond any doubt)

If you ask me that, then i must respond, yes.

Peace,

tammy

• Laika
    Laika

Cofty:

It is beyond my understanding how anybody can believe that collection of books is anything but a work of superstitious humans.

Erm... I hate to be the one to break this to you mate, but you believed that for most of your life.

• cofty
    cofty

but you believed that for most of your life

Yes I did, and it was only possible by avoiding a huge body of readily available knowledge. I wish I had joined JWN many years before I did.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

cofty: i think the logic, is clear, do you really not understand what i wrote? are we playing semantics again?

• cofty
    cofty

unstop - You are starting from a position that the 66 books on the canon are the word of god. This is a decision you have taken a priori and then you must use whatever mental and logical gymnastics are necessary to explain away inconvenient facts.

It is a closed-minded and intellectually dishonest position. It means you have to read things into texts that cannot be read out of them. You indulge in special peading and insist on the most unlikely explanation and least parsimonious one because it supports your prejudice.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

cofty: i would say you are coming from a postion that the 66 books of the bible are not the word of god, and you as well have to jump through hoops and do mental gymnastics to logically not believe in a creator.

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

"Those would have to be some awesome recipes, lol. Like maybe the kind that give LIFE? So.. no... not unless there was a way to determine which recipes were the poison ones, and which ones give life ; )- tec

And that's the case with your god and your book. How do you reconcile your christ with this guy?

Matthews
    Jesus sends some devils into a herd of pigs, causing them to run off a cliff and drown in the waters below. 8:32

Families will be torn apart because of Jesus (this is one of the few "prophecies" in the Bible that has actually come true). "Brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death." 10:21

Jesus condemns entire cities to dreadful deaths and to the eternal torment of hell because they didn't care for his preaching. 11:20-24

Mark
    Jesus explains why he speaks in parables: to confuse people so they will go to hell. 4:11-12

Any city that doesn't "receive" the followers of Jesus will be destroyed in a manner even more savage than that of Sodom and Gomorrah. 6:11

John
    People are damned or saved depending only on what they believe. 3:18, 36

Those who do not believe in Jesus will be cast into a fire to be burned. 15:6

Now tell me, would you trust this guy?

• cofty
    cofty

you are coming from a postion that the 66 books of the bible are not the word of god,

Of course I am. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The claim that the bible is inspired of an omnipotent, omniscient deity is a massive claim. The correct response is a skeptical one while maintaining an open mind to the evidence.

On examining the evidence in great detail it turns out the bible shows no signs of inspiration. On the contrary there is not a single word in the bible that shows any wisdom beyond that which was common in the time and culture of it's writing.

• tec
    tec

If it ever comes down for you, Unstop (your faith built upon the bible as the word of god and it being all or nothing)... then please recall the words that our Lord said, and also God said, that I merely quoted on the top of page three. I am sure you can look up the verses. Christ is the Truth of God, and you don't have to lose your faith in God, if you are shown that the bible is not all you think or have been told that it is. It is Christ, who matters, and Christ who shows us His Father; Christ who is the LIVING (as in alive), Word and Image of God.

Peace to you,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit