In general, the people on this forum have a poor outlook spiritually speaking.

by Stand for Pure Worship 120 Replies latest jw friends

• LucidChimp
    LucidChimp

"Imaginate"

Laugh? I think I soiled myself.

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

Signs Of Cult Behavior:

1. Cult members are focused on a living leader to whom members seem to display excessively zealous, unquestioning commitment. The leader is a strong-willed, domineering character who rules the group with tight control. He lets it be known in subtle ways that he is “in charge” of the movement. He makes the plans, he orchestrates the movements of the group or groups (sometimes he exercises his sway over several groups). Frequently, they even begin to imitate his mannerisms in terms of dress, voice inflection, language patterns, aggressive attitudes, etc. They become “clones” of their esteemed leader. It is not uncommon that the leader knows of weaknesses or past problems of people with his group and uses intimidation and fear to keep them under his control.
    2. Questioning, doubt, and dissent are discouraged, and there can be pressure or social punishment when there is disagreement with the “boss.” Those who disagree are made to feel as though they are stupid or inept. They are brainwashed with the notion that they do not have the knowledge or experience to question the leader. Younger people are particularly vulnerable to the leader’s “anointing.” No matter how radical the leader becomes in his decisions or actions, the cult members will not criticize him. Even if there should be mild disagreement, no specific expressions are voiced. The members feel that although he may be mistaken in some of his judgments, the overall good he accomplishes outweighs any minor flaws. Members are taught to “rationalize” the conduct of the leader.
    3. The leader is preoccupied with money. There is always a need for increasing finances. New projects are always “in the works.” Members are strongly encouraged to greatly sacrifice for the leader’s pet projects. There is always pressure to give; members of the group must be kept excited on a continual basis. The cult leader always takes the major credit for the movement’s accomplishments. Members become psychologically dependent upon him. “What would we ever do without our spiritual father?,” is the cult mentality.
    4. The cult leader generates within his members “a polarized” mentality. His people evolve an “us-versus-them” mentality. Little-by-little he criticizes other groups with which his members might tend to associate, undermining confidence in them, attempting to discredit anyone who could have influence over his “flock.” Cult members become suspicious. No one is really as “sound” as “we” are. We are an “elitist” group. And so, seeds of isolationism are sown. The movement leader discourages reading any material, examining any ideas that he does not initiate.
    5. The cult leader has a clearly defined “anti-authoritarian” disposition. Within the context of the church, for instance, he would have an “anti-elder accountability” attitude. Elders would be recipients of constant critical remarks. No cult leader would affiliate himself with a congregation having elders to whom he must be in submission. “Control” could not be maintained in such an environment, so Elders are rendered impotent. The cult leader would constantly criticize preachers, particularly those whose knowledge of the Scriptures eclipse his own. Members must be made to feel that he is the “chief authority” in spiritual matters.
    6. Cult members are seen occasionally to take on a new personality. They begin to act differently. They become increasingly antagonistic to family members and long-time friends. They may even boast that, “I am not the old [name] that you used to know; I am a new person now.” And indeed they are. They have become strangers to those who knew them well. They have been transformed into the image of their leader.
  • clarity
    clarity

Hey Outlaw ...the first picture, first page is of me,

after waiting for jehova for 50 years ..hahahahhahahahhahhaaaah!

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

SFTW,

With respect, I appreciate your willingness to engage people who have been vilified by their former religion, and in a way reach out to them. Good for you. It is quite the Christian aspect. You are however, still looking through the lenses the WTBTS has given you.

Your level of assumption in your opening post is staggering. I will onyl speak for myself, but leaving the WTBTS is the hardest thing I have had to do yet in life. I have no delusions of my role, my standing, or my relationship with God. In fact, i am sure if you intervewed my hall, my friends, and my former congregations they would I tell you I was one of the good ones. Why? Not because of some great thing I did. Rather because I always had a BS meter, even when i believed the GB was chosen by God. Unfortunately, this is simply not "Gods organization". It is a man made religion, same as all of the others. it has good an unique aspects that make it special, and it has wicked and evil aspects that make it deplorable. it is neither one nor the other....but both. So is life and humanity at large.

The problem is you are starting a conversation from the gate, with a position that you cannot possibly be wrong. I could be wrong. Could you? The only way to know is to test the veracity of scripture against your belief system. Blood for example is I believe an indefensible doctrine, yet out of respect for another board memeber you have bowed out of apossible discussion on the matter. That is certainly your right, but you lose the moral high ground to claim that people have "lost" something, when you will not even allow them to test the very basis of that faith. i used to say it to Mormons all of the time. what is the BASIS of your faith....and I will show you the strength of your faith. You have given your faith not to God, but in what you call his "organization" somehow mistaking his doing things "decently and by arrangement", for the legalism that Jesus warned his followers not to take up.

Once again, I appreciate your presence here as a welcome mix to the same ol sam ol......but if you wish to make an impact of any kind, or even stand for ANY worship, you need to engage others in a discussion. Not just make a declaration and move on.

I know what you mean to do. You mean to do what I meant to do when i first became an apologist for the society. You mean to snatch some out of the fire as it were. But if you value truth, and I believe you indeed do. You need to follow it ANYWHERE it leads you.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Americans, you do know about Robert Colbert of THE COLBERT REPORT. If you do, then you have an awesome example of someone being over-the-top with his conservative view in order to show you how silly that view is. It is expert sarcasm or mocking.

SFPW, it works for Colbert. It doesn't really work for you. But thanks for trying. People cannot really laugh because you are too close to reality, not quite over-the-top with the mockery. It makes you look just sad.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

By imagining yourself as part of something bigger than yourself, you in effect see the horses and chariots.

I imagined myself as part of something bigger and saw the horses and chariots but eventually the horses threw thier shoes and the wheels fell of the chariots when I found out that the thousands of pieces of literature I spent printing at Bethel and were spread from door to door all over the world by other inaginitave individuals, contained information that was incorrect an would be completely dropped or drastically changed in the future.

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

SFPW: I love your posts. I really hope you don't let these lost souls discourage your efforts to stand for pure worship.

I look forward to reading what you imaginate for us next. I am curious also, to know your age... you are clearly a well-trained speaker.

• LivingTheDream
    LivingTheDream

Stand For Pure Worship,

I challenge you to put your words to the test and do what I did. Pioneer. Apply for and get accepted to go to "Gods House", go to Bethel. Be used to further kingdom interests right there at the hub of the Organization you so revere.

Put your money where your mouth is and do it. Don't "imaginate" it, don't just talk big talk, do it.

I did it. I felt the same way then as you do now, that is, when I was young, naive and gullable.

When you come back a broken man, then look me up on Facebook and we'll talk. Let's see if you feel the same way then as you do now.

Brock Talon

• jgnat
    jgnat

This is great stuff, lol!

"imaginate with insight" - lucidchimp, you beat me to it!

"willful volunteers" - Freudian slip? Might you have meant "willing"?

SFPW, I never joined the Witnesses, but I imaginate a future in paradise far more vividly than my JW husband. He is far less certain of that future hope than I am.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I won't stand for so-called "pure worship", and I don't stand for post-and-run trolls.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit