Wrong type alternative service

by Yadirf 103 Replies latest jw friends

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

Quoted below is the testimony of an ex-JW (one of the posters here) who faced the draft in the '60s. Notice the form of "alternative service" that he would've been required to do had he been drafted. Not civilian, but as one who would work in a military hospital ... which would be aiding the war effort -- a breach of one's neutrality.

If THAT were the only form of alternative service available a JW should still have nothing to do with it. Anything in the way of civilian service? I suppose, OKAY. Anything to do with military, NO!

I think I remember reading Farkel's complaints about how he has a prison record for having been indoctrinated in the ways of Jehovah's Witnesses regarding their stance on war. The other side of that coin is that if he had been subjected to the ways of the world instead, he might not be alive today. -- Yadirf.

Facing The Draft

Registration for the draft confronted me, during the latter part of 1968. Notwithstanding that this was a time when the absolute worst battles of the war were taking place, the real reason that the draft was an issue was the fact that Jehovah's Witnesses are categorically opposed to war, and to any participation in military service.

I happened to have been assigned to a Selective Service Commissioner who had a long-standing reputation for being merciless toward Jehovah's witnesses. This, I was told, was especially true because of the "police action" in Vietnam. As the custom went, for all JW's, I applied for exemption from service on the grounds that I was an ordained minister.

The exemption was denied.

Instead of being exempted from military service, I was given the dreaded 1-A-O classification. Under Selective Service rules, a classification of 1-A meant the person was eligible for induction into regular service; 1-O meant the person was a conscientious objector, and NOT eligible for induction. The classification 1-A-O meant that the person was s conscientious objector, but could be inducted into the service to do non-combatant duty on a military base or hospital.

Jehovah's Witnesses refused to serve as non-combatants, because they believed such service to be tantamount to supporting the military machine. Unfortunately, such refusal came with the price of a five year sentence to the federal penitentiary. One acquaintance of mine - a member of my home congregation - was sent away in early 1969 because he refused to accept the draft board's assignment. I expected that I would be next; but a strange thing happened.

When I took my pre-induction physical, the doctors reported that they found a minor medical problem - in fact a condition that is usually treated with antibiotics. In any case, not long before my nineteenth birthday I received a new draft card, and noticed that I had been re-classified to 4-F. I was ecstatic! I had been given an exemption!

Now let me point out that 4-F was a general disabilities classification used for anyone with any sort of impediment - physical or mental. It was most frequently used for the mentally ill. The narrator of the popular song "Alice's Restaurant" said 4-F was the classification for ". . . Men with hairy eyeballs, mother killers, and father stabbers"

And, me!

Actually I had kind of secretly hoped that I would be sentenced to a military unit - which had been the case in many of the trials. The idea of the uniform was actually very intriguing to me. The friend I mentioned had, in fact, been sentenced to a military hospital. I, however, had been exempted. http://www.revdrjohnson.com/story.html

Daniel 11:35 ... a KEY prophecy that must be fulfilled before the "time of the end" gets underway.

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

EAT S**T

• gumby
    gumby

think I remember reading Farkel's complaints about how he has a prison record for having been indoctrinated in the ways of Jehovah's Witnesses regarding their stance on war. The other side of that coin is that if he had been subjected to the ways of the world instead, he might not be alive today. -- Yadirf.

What a braindead argument! Farkles ONLY other alternative, would to be a dead man, had he not been a witness!
    This is brilliant dude! Nice judgement call.

Better to be wrong than to be REEEEEEALY wrong!

• Farkel
    Farkel

Yadirf,

: I think I remember reading Farkel's complaints about how he has a prison record for having been indoctrinated in the ways of Jehovah's Witnesses regarding their stance on war. The other side of that coin is that if he had been subjected to the ways of the world instead, he might not be alive today.

That's either irrelevant or the most stupid argument I've heard since Violetanai last opened her yapper.

The issue is not whether I'm alive today because I chose not to take up combat. The issue that I've always presented on that subject is that the society's stance on alternative military service when I faced it was idiotic. They've since changed that idiotic policy, and I didn't even get a T-Shirt.

I know one other ex-dub who posts here and faced what I faced with regards to alternative military service. He served FIVE YEARS in a prison, but it was not in the USA.

I was a full-time pioneer, but my draft board would not give me a 4-D classification, which was a minister's exemption. There was no draft lottery back then: you were either drafted, or you got out of being drafted. I was told that if I accepted alternative military service, it would ONLY be civilian service and I would never have to be a medic in any war or do any other military non-combatant service.

My religion said I couldn't do that back then. Now they say I could do that under the same circumstances. Which time did they lie, Yadirf? Then, or now?

I did get a felony conviction and ended up doing the SAME civilian work that I would have done if I had taken the alternative military service option in the first place.

Just for the record, let me point out what alternative military service is all about. Civilized nations realized it would be barbaric to shot or incarcerate civilians who, by virtue of their conscience found it wrong to face the prospect of killing others in war. They long ago came up with a program to allow such people to become Medics and other non-combatant participants in wars. They further showed how civilized they were by understanding that even participating in a war in any capacity was objectionable to people. So, they offered such people another opportunity to serve the fellow citizens instead off of the battlefields. That's what alternative service is all about.

It was not the civilized governments that were barbaric, but the barbaric Watchtower Corporation who tinkered with scriptural interpretation about "compromising Christian integrity" that caused me to get in the mess they put me in. This is the same Printing Corporation that was recently caught fornicating with the United Nations for over ten years, and only stopping fornicating when they got caught.

Fuck the Watchtower Religion and the horse it rode in on.

Farkel

• Yadirf
    Yadirf
    My religion said I couldn't do that back then.

What's more is that you understood them to be correct! Either that or you were a hypocrite.

Now they say I could do that under the same circumstances. Which time did they lie, Yadirf? Then, or now?
    Neither time!

The fact remains that if you hadn't been fortunate enough to have been raised as a JW you most likely would've adopted the ways of the world, perhaps even been ready and willing to join the armed forces ... and been dead today.

Fuck the Watchtower Religion and the horse it rode in on.
    Now THAT'S sure some way to show your appreciation for an Organization that may very well have saved your life through its teachings!
  • Naeblis
    Naeblis

You really are quite dense. Is it on purpose?

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

F***ing HYPOCRITS! The Lot of you! Whining about helping out in a VA or Military hospital, caring for those that gave up body parts, their youth, their blood and what have you, so you can have the freedom to complain about them.

Hate to tell you, jerk-off, but by the time a guy hits those hospitals, his days in the military and the "war effort" are usually over, provided he even survives! The injuries he has sustained guarantee you the freedom to pester people at their doors, hang out in your Kingdumb Halls bitching about everybody else, and refuse to join in the fight. Then, you have the balls to complain if you might be needed to empty the poor guys bed pan? Maybe just to sit and give him a kind word as the breath leaves his body? What hopeless hypocrites you all are!

You enjoy these freedoms because people like that have always stood up to tyranny and would willingly do it again. And all you can do is bitch about helping them out, after they are blown up fighting for your freedoms?

You really scraped the bottom of the barrel with this one, friday. I think every last damn one of you dubs should be sent to Afghanistan or Iraq and do your door to door BS there and see how well you do. Then, when you are laid up in the hospital yourselves, the rest of us will sit back saying "it isn't our door to door service, why should we help you?"

I never before realized what a low life you truly are. I have wiped better than you off the bottom of my shoes!

If you didn't go, you wouldn't know!

If God's Spirit is filling a Kingdom Hall, how is it that Satan can manuever the ones within that Kingdom Hall at the same time?

• LizardSnot
    LizardSnot

I think if an American citizen isn't going to support our military...even with alternative service....he really needs to find another country to live in.

Lizard

• VioletAnai
    VioletAnai

And has war fixed mankinds problems....I THINK NOT!!! Talk about stupidity when you make the same mistakes over and over again! Why don't human's learn from their mistakes? Because we were never meant to direct our own steps....laugh if you wanna or chuck, go ahead.

I'm with you Yardy!!!!!!!!

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

THe morality of war was never the point. You are both so oblivious it's painful to watch.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit