Aust. Election in 1 week - A review of Kevin Rudd, PM

by fulltimestudent 197 Replies latest social current

• fulltimestudent
  • brinjen
    brinjen

It's not looking good. Coalition have picked up 32 seats compared to Labor's 8. Voting has closed in all states except WA.

• mP
    mP

Jeffro:

o, you arrogant fool. You obviously have no idea about things going on in the rest of the world.

You deserve nothing, but here's a brief excerpt (and it's even from a Murdoch paper) for the benefit of others:

Myth 1: We are being swampedREALITY: The number of people arriving in Australia to claim asylum jumped by more than a third last year to 15,800 people, driven by an increase in arrivals from Sri Lanka, Afghanistan and Pakistan.

MP:

Yes we know that some recent boat people came from SL, A and Pakistan. I never argued that they didnt.

When your the greatest country on earth, and there are so many poor people in Asia, theres always going to be some who want to come here. Im not disputing that at all.

Sl has always had problems. There have always been refugees leaving that country. Just watch the cricket whenever SL come to play, there are always lots of supporters., because SL have always been leaving.

I also never claimed we are being swamped. Dont try and put words in my mouth. This is on the edge of lying yet again.

• mP
    mP

Fulltime

There has always been strife in the old world even before the British came. If you think it was a paradise before hand you are naive. Strange that you forgot to mention the Portuguese who were the lords of SL for hundreds of years, befor e British came. it would appear you dont know your history very well.

• mP
    mP

FL

Getting a balanced view on the gravity of Australia's problem visavis the world problem, the report states:

mP:

We are not discussing if Aust should or has a boat people problem. I only stated that the LIBS stopped the business. Jethro continues to make numerous statements, but is having a hard time demonstrating any facts to back his story, but instead fills us with diatribe. He has given some more real statements and i will address them.

• mP
    mP

Jeffro:

Myth 9: Numbers are booming because we lack tough border protection policies

REALITY: In 2007, the total population of asylum seekers, refugees and internationally displaced persons of concern to the UNHCR was estimated at 31.7 million people.

mP:

While sad, this hardly counters my assertion. It also is yet another example that you claim is utterly rediculous. You cannot provide a single reasomnable explanation why the LIBS policy worked and the LAB failed.

Stay on topic.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

SBF - this is not the USofA. We don't vote for the Prime Minister, but for the party. It is the party ideology that is more relevant, and Abbott has done a good job of surrounding himself with people that compliment his weaknesses, as opposed to Rudd who seems to think of himself as a one man band.

• mP
    mP

finally:

Good to see your reasons are based on actual policies, rather than raw emotion.

• brinjen
    brinjen
    As UNHCR prepares to mark World Refugee Day on 20 June, a new report has found the number of people forcibly displaced at the end of 2009 had risen by 1.3 million to some 43.3 million - the highest level since the mid-1990s - while the number of refugees able to return voluntarily to their home countries has fallen to its lowest level in 20 years.

More explained here...

http://unhcr.org.au/unhcr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22&catid=46&Itemid=92

No, the Liberal party policy did not "stop the boats".

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I am close friends with a lawyer that works on visa applications for refugees and am also good friends with an Iranian girl who arrived as a refugee two years ago. Her perspective is interesting, as whilst true refugees require assylum for their own safety, there were many on her boat that were criminals. I feel the important thing is the humane treatment of boat people whilst determining their eligibility as refugees, along with fast processing of applications.

The "boat people" situation has been blown out of proportion as a political marketing tool, as the number of boat people is insignificant in comparison to the number of illegal immigrants in Australia. Amongst the Indonesian and Filipino communities, of which I have known many people, there are many that have overstayed their visas. That includes active JWs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit