Aust. Election in 1 week - A review of Kevin Rudd, PM

by fulltimestudent 197 Replies latest social current

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

zeb:

Abbot is head of the Liberal party Note that,... party. Rudd is head of the Labor party note that... party. Look past personalities and the way the media keep remaking them.

If you watch Q&A often enough, you get a sense of how objectionable some of the other politicians are too, and I find that the worst ones happen to be LNP. Especially Christopher Pyne and Sophie Mirabella. Labor politicians generally seem to be able to answer direct questions more often than Liberal (but still nowhere near often enough).

The LNP is light on policy, deceptive about its plans, and economically naive. And if I hear "stop the boats" one more time, I'm probably going to have to do something someone will regret.

If you believe the Murdoch-run papers, you'd think Rudd was the love-child of Satan and Hitler. Labor's policies are better for average Australians whereas the Liberal party is more leveraged toward big business and the rich. And the Greens are pro-possum.

(And I think the people against 'gay marriage' don't realise that the proposal is for it to be legal, not mandatory.)

There is even a Sex Party. Now if they ever got any real influence then i hope they make sex compulsory.

Depends. Do you get to choose who with?

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

I know people who have had direct experience of working with KRudd - he is a prize asshole. Still I could never bear to vote for an unreconstructed troglodyte like Abbott. Lucky I was able to cancel my voter registration on account of being non-resident.

• mP
    mP

Jeffro:

Rudd's a bit of a narcissist but not as bad as Abbott by a long shot. Abbott is telling all the same lies Campbell Newman told.

mP:

A bit. KR is a total narcissist. He just loves being on tv and the center of attenion. His excuse for not telling the premiere before deciding to move the base from Syd to Bris is pathetic. how can it be a national secret the day before the announcement on live tv ?

• mP
    mP

Jeffro:

Labor politicians generally seem to be able to answer direct questions more often than Liberal (but still nowhere near often enough).

mP:

Really ?

Have you ever heard KR explain why he stopped nauru ? Hes a total liar, everything he says is a almost always a cmpletely stupid lie.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

mP:

Really ?
    Have you ever heard KR explain why he stopped nauru ?

That isn't really a response to what I actually said.

• smiddy
    smiddy

For somebody who voted for JC/ Jehovah in many elections , up to 35 actually I have no qualms of putting my money where my mouth is..

I will vote for Clive palmer united Party .Why ? because he promises to lift the pensioner benefit by $150 per F?N

I spent 33 years beleiving in , no not only beleiving, in but promoting a system of government that is totally pie in the sky and proved by hitory.

smiddy

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

smiddy:

I will vote for Clive palmer united Party .Why ? because he promises to lift the pensioner benefit by $150 per F?N

Clive Palmer doesn't care about pensioners. Clive Palmer cares about Clive Palmer. This is why he wants breaks on things like fringe benefits tax. So Clive Palmer can write off most of his tax.

• jemba
    jemba

Im gonna go Katters Aust party, the other yobbos are just gonna stuff up this country more than it already is, besides if I really had to choose it would be labor and Katter, Palmer votes go to Labor anyway.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

jemba:

Im gonna go Katters Aust party, the other yobbos are just gonna stuff up this country more than it already is, besides if I really had to choose it would be labor and Katter, Palmer votes go to Labor anyway.

Bob Katter is sort of like 'One Nation' lite. Slightly less crazy, but still a bit of a hick.

Except One Nation has geniuses like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_1SFf8t-ko

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

No! Doofdaddy, I have a clear political stance against BOTH political parties.

But let's take Kevin first. I do not regard the posted videos as being anti-Kevin. The first one sends him up (and, it was made 8 years ago, when the political climate was quite different.

However, my objection to both parties is that both the ALP and the Lib-nats, foster a sense of entitlement among people. Let me illustrate - recently in our apartment block, there was a small group discussion. A single mother was talking about her problems, fair enough! being a single mother is not easy. Someone else pointed out that difficult times may be ahead of us, and that the government may be forced to cut welfare benefits. "Oh!" said the single mother, " whose going to support my children, then?" In the Australian community there is this expectation, that the government should provide.

It is illegal to give somone $10.00 to vote for you. But we have the situation, where electioneering political parties promise to give you thousands of dollars in some program or the other, if they are elected to office. As in Abbot's promise of 6 months (government) paid maternity leave when a woman has a baby at 50% of the normal salary. So a woman whose in a profession, earning $150,000 a year, will get a payment from the government of $75,000, or so it seems. But a lesser educated woman in Sydney's west earning $40,000 will only get $20,000. Something socially wrong in that, outside of the problem of the govt. paying those sums.

I have watched Abbott for the past 3 years. He's clearly in the ahnds of his image makers, going from the stance of a toey, punch drunk, amateur boxer to his new 'statesman' pose. Hockey is a fool. And the previously mentioned Christopher Pyne is like a noxious fox terrier.

Trouble is, fellow aussies - is the ALP really that much better. No wonder more than 30% of Australians express disappointment with democracy. Surely its not an example that the Chinese would want to follow.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit