Aust. Election in 1 week - A review of Kevin Rudd, PM

by fulltimestudent 197 Replies latest social current

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

mP:

Good to see your reasons are based on actual policies, rather than raw emotion.

You've shown yourself to be a naive emotional arrogant jingoistic insulting fool who clearly does not understand (or chooses to ignore) international factors that relate to asylum seekers and refugees in favour of a superficial fallacious correlation.

• zound
    zound

Australia is officially 'under new management.'

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Shame it looks like that reactionary numpty won.

I don't understand the Australian system well, but it doesn't even sound like it was all that close either. Was it a landslide?

• brinjen
    brinjen

Yes, it was a landslide victory for the LNP. Most of the people in my city still voted Labor though.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Agreed! A majority of over 30 can't be called anything else but a landslide.

As things stand this morning, The Liberal-National Party has 87 seats and the ALP 54, though these figures are not final, as some counting remains.

According to some suggestions in the media, at the time that the ALP decided to switch back to Rudd, they were facing a wipeout, with the loss of many experienced ministers. The ALP faces a lot of restructuring, but could do this now,(if the Lib-Nat coalition demonstrates lack of discipline) and regain government within 6 years.

I suggest that this is the reason the ALP members of the previous parliament decided to drop Gillard, and make Rudd PM again. It was clear that only Rudd had enough electoral popularity to avoid the disaster being predicted and the ALP reduced to a rump.

Interesting that in his speech conceding defeat last night, Rudd made a point of mentioning that the ALP had managed to hold the seats of all the Ministers of his (short-time) Ministry, and the Party Executive.

From that viewpoint, it must've eased the pain.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

mP said:

Fulltime

There has always been strife in the old world even before the British came. If you think it was a paradise before hand you are naive. Strange that you forgot to mention the Portuguese who were the lords of SL for hundreds of years, befor e British came. it would appear you dont know your history very well.

Oh! dearie me. I've stuffed up again.

But wait - something is stirring in the back of my tired old memory bank. Ah! yes, here it is displayed on my mental monitor. Ummmm! Well, let's see.

Do you mP, really want to argue that the pork-n-cheese were overlords of SriLanka for "hundreds of years?"

You may wish to retract that statement before we proceed.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Doofdaddy, corrected me:

It's Labor party not Labour party . Geez....

and likewise, I respond with a "Jeez - I've made a mistake!" Sorry mate.

As an excuse, may I point out that originally this party used the (more correct-haha) English spelling - 'labour,' and then for some reason, around the time of WW1 switched to the American spelling of 'labor.'

Additionally, at school (admittedly, a long time ago and at a time when "English culture" still dominated Australia), I could've been caned for using the American for labor, color, etc, instead of the traditional, English form of labour, colour etc etc.

As a JW, I (of course) suffering the delusion that Jesus was alive in heaven and was now ruling the earth, and saw no need to think about politics. So I missed an opportunity to learn more about the early days of the ALP. My grandfather was deeply involved with the ALP, back in the days when it was a true workers party. However, the party expelled him, in the 1930s, because he advocated "Douglas Credit."

Wish I could go back now and talk to him.

• barry
    barry

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyNfgYtpga4

An idiot gets arrested trying to pose with the new PM and his family

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

brinjen:

Yes, it was a landslide victory for the LNP. Most of the people in my city still voted Labor though.

There was a swing towards Labor in my electorate, but not quite enough to get it away from the LNP.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

I don't like Tony Abbott, and I don't like his party's policies. I think Labor clearly has better policies in several areas.

I'm not annoyed with the people who voted for the Coalition who believe the Coalition has better policies (though they're very likely wrong).

Anyone who fell for the "financial emergency" or "boat people" rhetoric is an idiot. I'm disappointed with them, but it's their democratic right to be stupid. (I would prefer if the right to vote were IQ tested, or at least tested on the basis of understanding actual policy content.)

I am very annoyed with the people whose vote was on the basis of all the misdirection - political favouritism, party in-fighting, rampantly biased media - none of which actually relates to which party has the best policies.

Unfortunately, this is what happens when most people are more interested in Miley Cyrus and 'twerking' than what's happening in places like Afghanistan and Syria.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit