Aust. Election in 1 week - A review of Kevin Rudd, PM

by fulltimestudent 197 Replies latest social current

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

fulltimestudent:

My understanding is that Murdoch has dual US-Australian citizenship, and therefore has the right to vote in Australian and American elections.

Nope. He renounced Australian citizenship when he was naturalised as a US citizen in 1985.

the Murdoch press has been extremely vitriolic in this election, and we should be questioning this "right and practise" particularly when much of what is said is not legitimate discussion.

I absolutely agree.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Did you hear about the ex-pat aussie who turned up at Australia House trying to vote without his passport? Security didn't believe he was an Aussie on account of his accent having been corrupted after too long in the company of Poms. So he tells the Security guy 'I can prove I am an Aussie cos I ahve Bob Hawke's face tatooed on the left buttock and Paul Keating's tattoed on the right.' The security guy replies 'This I have to see' so the Aussie drops his strides and exhibits his derriere. 'Wow' says the Security guy 'I see Hawke and Keating but you didn't warn me you had stuck KRudd in between.'

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

mP:

Im only repeating what you said, nothing more or less.

My statement was correct. It was not the 'lib' policy that stopped the boats (a tedious catchphrase).

But following your specious logic, if there were a drought, then a shaman did a raindance, and then it rained, you'd be attack me for saying that the shaman didn't stop the drought.

Still waiting for your apology for falsely calling me a liar.

• mP
    mP
    MP: Im only repeating what you said, nothing more or less.

Jeffro:

My statement was correct. It was not the 'lib' policy that stopped the boats (a tedious catchphrase).

MP:

Ask any Australian and the majority will agree that the Libs did stop the boats. Stop has many meanings but for most people, my use of "stop" is accurate and good enough. Your assertions are completely against what the majority accept as its meaning.

Jeffro:

But following your specious logic, if there were a drought, then a shaman did a raindance, and then it rained, you'd be attack me for saying that the shaman didn't stop the drought.

mP:

No just looking at the facts. The change in policy by the LIBS is a reasonable cause and effect. Your statement is completely stupid.

This just makes you doubly dishonest. You cant even show a link to back up your case, all you can reply with is material like this .

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

So who won?

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

mP:

Ask any Australian and the majority will agree that the Libs did stop the boats.

The 'average Australian' is, according to your claim, apparently quite naive.

The Liberal policy did not stop the activities of people smugglers. The frequency of boats attempting to get to Australia is related to international factors and not directly related to Liberal party policy. It is not directly affected by, or directly comparable to, the number of boats that actually get to the Australian shore.

Where 'boat people' are taken to other places, such as Nauru, to be 'processed' as refugees, people still eventually arrive in Australia once their status as refugees is determined (and the vast majority are determined to be legitimate refugees), with some deplorable conditions for the refugees in between. It doesn't actually stop the influx of people, nor does it 'stop the boats'. Whether people are detained at a detention centre on Nauru or on the Australian mainland doesn't actually have any bearing on the real numbers of people coming to Australia by boat or how many are later released into the community in Australia. Claiming the Liberal policies 'stopped the boats' is essentially meaningless semantics, as is the claim that they will 'turn around the boats when safe to do so'.

But rather than actually analyse a situation intelligently, mP feels the need to resort to personal attacks and claims of 'dishonesty'.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Slimboyfat - I assume your question is directed at the election, it is on Saturday so no winner yet but it will almost certainly be Abbott however unpalatable that may be. If you were referring to the spat between Jeffro and mp - there can be no winner in such an argument - a bit like an argument between a Witness and their Unbelieving Mate. Perhaps once the election is over they may stop arguing and kiss and make up. Cheers

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Also Slimboyfat I asuspect that once the election is lost and assuming KRudd wins his seat I think he will be dethroned fairly quickly perhaps by Shorten and the ALP will be in for a ong and ugly rebuilding period. KRudd will probably leave politics and try and get some international organisation post.

• mP
    mP

Jeffro

The 'average Australian' is, according to your claim, apparently quite naive.\

mP:

Ah, Jeffro and his observations, never facts like numbers, just observations and opinions.

Why cant you simply compare the two numbers and shutup ?

Jeffro:

The Liberal policy did not stop the activities of people smugglers. The frequency of boats attempting to get to Australia is related to international factors and not directly related to Liberal party policy.

mP:

really ? So the numbers did go down but yoour claiming other factors. can you give some actual examples ?

Jeffro:

It is not directly affected by, or directly comparable to, the number of boats that actually get to the Australian shore.

mP:

So my showing raw numbers was somehow wrong. yes that makes perfect sense.

Jeffro:

Where 'boat people' are taken to other places, such as Nauru, to be 'processed' as refugees, people still eventually arrive in Australia once their status as refugees is determined (and the vast majority are determined to be legitimate refugees), with some deplorable conditions for the refugees in between. It doesn't actually stop the influx of people, nor does it 'stop the boats'. Whether people are detained at a detention centre on Nauru or on the Australian mainland doesn't actually have any bearing on the real numbers of people coming to Australia by boat or how many are later released into the community in Australia.

mP:

Yes we all know how Nauru works, however that doesnt change the fact that your assertion that the libs didnt stop the boats was wrong.

If we go back at a simple timeline and look at the numbers coming in boats, and then see when the policy changed, followed by the dramatic drop in numbers, what other conclusion are we to make ? Given KR reversed Nauru and the numbers rocketed, what does that tell you ?

Jeffro:

Claiming the Liberal policies 'stopped the boats' is essentially meaningless semantics, as is the claim that they will 'turn around the boats when safe to do so'.

mP:

I wasnt talking about your later portion of the sentence, just the stopping of the boats. IT doesnt matter if that is true or false, that is a separate discussion.

Can win so you try and change the topic ? Why dont you just admit the policy did stop the boats, instead of all this double speak and bullshite ?

Jeffro:

But rather than actually analyse a situation intelligently, mP feels the need to resort to personal attacks and claims of 'dishonesty'.

mP:

Because you do everything but look at the simplest thing we can judge, the raw numbers. Even know most of your reply barely mentions numbers of boats but focuses on other matters which are not on topic.

• mP
    mP

Jeffro:

,mP:

Im sorry someone who claims a smaller number is not less than a larger number is a liar or stupid, are they not ?

If the lib policy didnt change the boat issue, what did ? Im suprised its taken you this long to give us the facts but you have typed a lot of other words with more lies. I am simply telling the truth raw and it hurts. You cant supply this alternate view, because you dont have one, so you continue to mumble and lie.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit