Board of bitterness

by 1009 165 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Miss.Fit
    Miss.Fit

Hello, as a newbie I would like to add my perspective.

I noticed more distain and contempt than bitterness..especially if someone doesn't jump on the jws are evil bandwagon. I noticed if someone takes the opposite view they are accused of being hypocrites, or trolls. When I saw this board on the web. I did not read any where that you had to hate JWs and everything they stand for in order to post. Maybe there should be a warning. I think it is important to have many perspectives represented.

Speaking for me personally: I am in conflict. I found this site accidently. I checked out a couple of innocent looking threads-something about the Brooklyn properties being sold. Someone mentioned Candance Coti. I was courious as to what she would have to do with it so I googled her.

It hit a nerve. I came back to your site to look around. I read some experiences that I could relate to, thoughts and emotions I thought I only had.

But I noticed the contempt some had for any JW. This was a shock because of course I was brought up to have respect for the org.

Soit was very jarring to see jws referred to as sheeples, Watchtower referred to as Washtowels, Bethel-Bethell, CONventions, going out in circus, jws-dubs........If I read something I didn't agree with I didn't want to say because all JWs are brainwashec

TIt took a lot of courage for me to even register.

I try not to take it personally.

• cantleave
    cantleave

This was a shock because of course I was brought up to have respect for the org.

Respect is not a right, it should be earned. The cult deserves no respect.

• Miss.Fit
    Miss.Fit

I am typing on my phone. Excuse the mistakes. I wanted to say that I am rethinking a lot of things. I have noticed that when I read a post that goes against what I was taught-I have an automatic response...I catch myself and ask is that what I really think or was that what I was told to say?

But it is hard to focus on those things when I find myself getting defensive because of the name calling and ridicule. Some on this board say jws dont agree because they are brain dead...and are asleep.

I understand that I am not used to be able to say out loud maybe the org. Is wrong......I am not used to the idea...I know I had to always watch what I say or do to avoid stumbling someone or be accused of wrong thinking.

I would like to be able to come on here and put down how I feel without having to worry: am I sounding brain washed. ..am I sounding like a troll because I dont agree? Maybe I am out of my depth.

I find if I wait , someone will post just what I was feeling or what I wanted to say only better. Or they will say something that will make me reconsider my views.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

" For an outsider it will always seem unreasonable to refuse a threatment, and when someone dies it is easy to blame the organisation that defined the doctrine. When I would have refused blood, that would be because I believed their doctrine is right. Nobody forced me to believe that. I made a choice. Maybe a wrong one. But to call WTG murderers? No, I (still) don't agree with that. "

I understand what you are saying. When the GB released "refinements" about fractions and alternatives, I signed my medical directive and refused ALL blood products. Why? I was taught that God wanted me to abstain from blood. I thought, " If Abraham could somehow be alive right now, would he accept parts of blood if his friend and GOD told him to abstain from blood?!" My conscience told me to abstain, end of discussion. Later I asked an Elder why ALL fractions were not acceptable, including red cells, plasma, ect. I reasoned, " If water is H20, does that mean that two seperate hydorgen molecules and an oxygen molecule must be considered water when not combined? Why are fractions or components like red cells considered to be blood?" Needless to say, he did not approve of my thoughts, and just shrugged his shoulders.

The real problem is that I was a born-in, raised in "the truth." I was taught to abstain from blood even if it meant death, by the Leaders of the WBTS. I would have done it too. There wasn't going to be any cop-out using fractions for me. If it was made from any part of blood, I would not have it. What's more is that we had ZERO opportunity to examine "the truth." We were indoctrinated from birth, without a choice. What you seem to be missing is that fact that someone can be a murderer, or manslayer, unintentionally. Even if the GB totally believed that the blood ban was 100% scripturally correct, people died. They killed them whether it was intentional or not. It seems that they may very well have known that they were wrong. They refused to change. Why? Pride, money, fear of failing the flock or being viewed as phoneys? I can't say.

So the fact is, any GB member living who has ever voted in favor of the blood ban is a murderer, a manslayer. It does not matter why they did it. It doesn't matter what they believed, they killed people.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Miss-Fit,

I have not met one person on this forum who hates JW's as a group. That is a myth about "apostates." What I have found is people who have been burned by the Org so badly that they have a low tolerance for apologists, or trolls. There is a good reason for that. Die hard JW apologists are people who deep down, KNOW that the WTBTS is wrong. These ones repeatedly choose cold legalism over morally responsible decisions. They will dance around issues all day long, but if they are faced with a moral question, a " let your yes mean yes" question, they dodge it. It take a witness stand to expose these ones for how they really are. You saw that if you read the Conti transcripts.

So, they don't hate JW's, most people on this forum hate hypocrisy and willful ignorance.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Also, this is a board, not real life.

It is one thing to post something angry or bitter, I know I have (thus my moniker, duh)

Sure, we are bitter that we were lied to and that the WT won't let people leave with any dignity.

But this is not our whole life, right?

Just a great place to vent.

• adamah
    adamah

Frazzled UBM said-

I can certainly see how shunning ups the ante in terms of resentment because it destroys relationships and I suspect must create a sense of wariness about new relationships - 'I thought these people were my friends but they have abandoned me because I disagree witht their beliefs so can I trust anyone who purports to be my friend.'

Yup.

But it's actually the ULTIMATE betrayal of trust, since it comes from one's OWN family members, the ones who are SUPPOSED to stick by your side since they are the only humans on the entire Planet you actually share your genes with (your parents, children, brothers, sisters), history, experiences, and love. IN topsy-turvy fashion, the organization INVERTS all of that, and intrudes into the family arrangement by demanding that THEY be placed at the top. That undermines one's confidence in EVERYBODY they meet, for if their own family, their own flesh-and-blood is so willing to throw them under the bus at the least provocation, then WHOM can they trust?

The family members who go along with it have completely sacrificed their OWN judgment and internal moral sense, since every fiber of their moral bewing MUST scream out at them, "THIS IS NOT RIGHT!" but the JWs have anticipated that emotional reaction, and once again are ready to offer platitudes, telling them that the problem is they are being "weak" by following their heart, and they must remain "strong" by doing the weakest thing possible: "I was just following orders". It's just so inverted and opposite it's actually perversely brilliant, completely coming around the 'insanity wheel' to spin and constitute brilliant manipulation. A psychologist couldn't devise a better control tactic, even if they tried.

Still I think shunning is one weapon in the armoury of emotional, social and psychological control the organisation and while it one of the most powerful, I suspect the use of fear generally may be even more powerful and almost as damaging. So even in the absence of shunning I still think there would be resentful about how fear was use to implant delusional beliefs which impacted negatively on XJWs lives and ability to reach their potential and so discovery of TTATT must create a sense of betrayal of trust.

Yup.

As seen in Milgram's study (discussed in this thread), subjects reach a point where they sacrifice all judgment, driven towards completion being prodded on by the chilling words delivered by the actor (who portrays the scientist), "It is imperative that you continue with the study".

Even after the person who is getting shocked no longer responds, the subject figures, "well, I've gone this far: in by an inch, in by a mile" and they've completely turned off their rational thought. The other people hooked to the electrodes has stopped responding (either dead or unconscious) and they figure it's OK to shock a corpse, so might as well continue: it actually gets EASIER for them to comply, at that point!

I have some sympathy for the view that we should not be too harsh on 1009. He has challenged our thinking and caused us to articulate the reasons for it, which I think is a good thing.

Yeah, I agree.

See, the thing is that JWs and ex-JWs are not that different, psychologically-speaking, as much as neither side wants to admit it. Depending on where you're at, one group is either AHEAD of you and where you're GOING, OR WAS where you once were (isn't that a scary thought, LOL!). Time will tell which is which, and where you end up. Paul used to be Saul, right? As long as people grow and move forward, growing in their individual sense of morality, I'm down with their decision. For some, joining the JWs is a step UP in morality, whereas some quickly "hit the ceiling" in the JWs, and it's time to move on since they've outgrown the need to allow others to control them. Some are just excellent actors, and are able to ACT like they're repentent and observant, but are simply playing the JW game well.

No one can read hearts, so as long as they're growing and not harming others (or being harmed BY others, against their will), then it's OK by me. I just think BOTH groups need to own up to the reponsibility of "trying to be a little kinder" to others, with or without religious beliefs hindering the process.

But I do not think we should attack what he says by casting aspersions of his motives - this is a tactic employed by the WBTS and it is an odious tactic because it is a frontal attack on the ability to reason.

Yup, that's off-bounds since it hinders rational thought, whether we're discussing JWs or on a gardening forum; it's an appeal to emotion, and most of us have had a brainful of that kind of emotional thought-stoppage to last a life-time.

Missfit said:

I would like to be able to come on here and put down how I feel without having to worry: am I sounding brain washed. ..am I sounding like a troll because I dont agree? Maybe I am out of my depth.

I find if I wait , someone will post just what I was feeling or what I wanted to say only better. Or they will say something that will make me reconsider my views.

If I haven't said it yet, welcome aboard! We all share fundamentally-unique views and experiences, and just like any group of people, their experiences will vary: YMMV (your mileage may vary).

A good rule to remember on ANY internet forum is that just because someone posts something that inflames us, there's NO LAW that we must respond. Life is too short if we let others control our feelings, since it allows them to control our behavior. I'll often read posts and even write a response, only to abort posting, saying, "Nope, not gunna do it. They're just words on a screen." I've apparently working on that last fruitage of the spirit, self-control. Just because I'm not a JW means I've discarded all the moral principles given in the Bible: it's just they all needed to be questioned, keeping the worthwhile while discarding the bad (eg slavery, misogyny, discriminating against gays, etc).

Adam

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Same old,same old..

There`s someone new on the board..

That persons opinion is so much more important than everyone elses..

Why are you all so bitter?!..Your wrong,I`m Right..

I think I`ll be Friendly with Some of You..

You might Learn Something!..

.......................  photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• TD
    TD
    The real problem is that I was a born-in, raised in "the truth." I was taught to abstain from blood even if it meant death, by the Leaders of the WBTS.

And that was what they call a "mind f***" (Pardon my language)

What would it mean if I said:

Abstain from boat

Abstain from sky

Abstain from crankshaft

Abstain from ceiling

(?)

These phrases are meaninless, because the word, "Abstain" negates action and none of these things are actions. A finite verb is needed to complete the thought.

For example, if I were to say:

Abstain from junk food

You would probably understand this to mean, "Abstain from eating junk food" because of the context associated with food. Consciously or unconsciously, your mind would fill in the blank and supply the missing action.

The situation is exactly the same with Acts 15:29. When the incomplete phrase, "Abstain...from blood" is invoked apart from the context that completes it, people are tricked into believing that the Bible says something about transfusion medicine that in reality, it doesn't say at all.

And this is deliberate. Regardless of what we may think of the quality of the NWT as a translation, producing it took a knowledge of language high enough that this could not possibly be accidental.

• adamah
    adamah

TD said-

The situation is exactly the same with Acts 15:29. When the incomplete phrase, "Abstain...from blood" is invoked apart from the context that completes it, people are tricked into believing that the Bible says something about transfusion medicine that in reality, it doesn't say at all.

And this is deliberate. Regardless of what we may think of the quality of the NWT as a translation, producing it took a knowledge of language high enough that this could not possibly be accidental.

Yup.

Just as the NWT deliberately mistranslates the story of Eve to hide significant details, the NWT deliberately obfuscates the ACTUAL solution offered in the Genesis account of the Flood, thus allowing multi-purposing of Genesis 9:5-6 to base their flawed "no blood" policy upon:

http://awgue.weebly.com/does-jehovahs-witnesses-blood-policy-reflect-they-understand-noahs-flood.html

Adam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit