Board of bitterness

by 1009 165 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

There is going to be some bitterness any time someone leaves a cult. The victim is basically in a no-win situation. Its like the Matrix, they have swallowed the Red Pill and there is no way to go back.

The penalty is harsh, even with a perfectly executed fade you are going to lose friends, whether you call them conditional or not. Sure you might retain some contact with some family members, but you will always be looked at like the "black sheep" of the family once you get out.

Other lose out financially, jobs or an inheritance. Rebuilding from ground zero is a possibility if you DA or get DFd.

Time is the only thing that makes the bitter taste fade away. I look back at a few of my old posts and think "Damn, you sure sounded like a crazy apostate there!" The boards though help a lot in that you can at least "get it off of your chest" and get some support. Most therapists just don't get what happens when you leave a cult, only those who have battle scars can truly relate.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

jwfacts:

I don't understand why 1009 is getting such a hard time.

Because he started off by criticising others for feeling 'bitter' about treatment they've received from JWs.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Good post, Adam!

I have a response to this one part though:

the ex-JWs are turning the GB into scapegoats and blaming THEM for all that's wrong with the JWs

Some do exactly that, I'm sure.

But not all of us. I've repeatedly posted over the years that all adults are responsible for their own actions. That includes people who brainwashed or misled others. They are responsible for their acts.

I happen to have been a child when I was forced to be a jw. I never abdicated critical thinking or choice to anyone else.

You will very rarely hear me even say the word GB.

• adamah
    adamah

Rebel said-

Some do exactly that, I'm sure.

But not all of us. I've repeatedly posted over the years that all adults are responsible for their own actions. That includes people who brainwashed or misled others. They are responsible for their acts.

Yeah, I guess that's my broader point: we need to be careful when painting a large group of diverse people who MAY share certain traits with overly-broad brush-strokes, since people are individuals, and it's easy to fall into the trap of stereotyping (attributing a characteristic to ALL members of a group, whether JWs or ex-JWs).

Those who wake up to find TTATT typically ARE experiencing SOME sense of loss, whether it's a loss of belief in God, their sense of prestige/power/control (esp elders), their family relationships, their support/social network, etc. Hence they're going to experience the classic stages of grief (denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance) and often will cycle between stages, the depths of which will likely depend on how emotionally-invested they were in the belief, in the first place, eg someone who's got a strong ego (i.e. someone who has a strong sense of their self-worth and confidence in their decision-making capabilities) will likely rebound quicker than someone who is emotionally-dependent on others (i.e. seen as needy, clingy; those who are dealing with trauma/emotional and/or physical abuse/neglect issues).

Of course, a literalist religion like the JWs is hell-bent on breaking the will of the individual (just like the military strips down recruits in boot camp) and the Old Testament is TOXIC to one's ego, since it's permeated with the diatribes against the sins of man's haughtiness and the foolish pride of men, the need to rely on God for direction of one's own footsteps, etc. Those who didn't take all of that as seriously likely will rebound quicker than someone who actually "believed" and accepted it without question. And to some with mental/psychological issues (like OCD, bipolar, schizophrenia) will likely be deeply effected by the horror-filled imagery of the Bible, which seems all too real to them; inviting readers to "enter the story" is absolutely psycholoigcal abuse to them, and the JW famously cuts them loose to deal with the addition burden of shunning, and you'd better believe some end up commiting suicide after receiving untrained "counseling" that's dispensed by plumbers and window washers.

Adam

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

No need to be bitter. It's a drug addict - drug supplier business. The narcissist JW (drug addict) is supplied with drugs by the JW Narcissistic supplier. (drug dealer) They provide narcissistic supply. All of the behaviors and attitudes of the JW's are driven by the availability of narcissistic supply. that's all there is here. It's not some big evil mystery pot of stew. It's just a JW narcissist and their hunt for narcissistic supply. They have to have a pathological space to consume their narcissistic supply. But that's a different chapter.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

http://www.breakthroughsite.com/bt-replay.php?

Tony Robbins site on strategic intervention in group dynamics.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Many suffered or had extremely horrible lives. Can't just move on over night. You got to work through it.

I went through anger, not bitterness. If whomever wants to beleive whatever that is fine with me as long as you are not hurting people, destroying families, and not trying to convert me.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

in my opinion some of the better elders that i knew of over the years were uneducated and had lower paid jobs and some of the worst elders run businesses or had good educations big houses and good jobs.

some academics i know are brilliant in their field but don't seem so in everything. my father was an elder had a good job and run departments but i grew up never seeking his advice.

• magotan
    magotan

Quite honestly, if there were no shunning policies, I don't think these boards would exist. If people were more free to really figure out what they want in life, without the reprecussions of shunning, things would be so much simpler. Suicides due to shunning, all sorts of problems, wouldn't exist.

• ThisFellowCheap
    ThisFellowCheap

Any one ever taste the bitter-leaf before? Its bitter at first, then it gets better and sweeter until you almost seem to have licked a candy. I am a bitter-leaf (or, whatever you guys call it in your part of the world)!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit