Board of bitterness

by 1009 165 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TD
    TD
    For an outsider it will always seem unreasonable to refuse a threatment, and when someone dies it is easy to blame the organisation that defined the doctrine. When I would have refused blood, that would be because I believed their doctrine is right. Nobody forced me to believe that. I made a choice. Maybe a wrong one. But to call WTG murderers? No, I (still) don't agree with that.

Ethics 101: Manipulate someone into doing something morally wrong regardless of whether it be through inducement or coercion and you are guilty too. Their agency does not diminish your responsibilitly one whit.

A hallmark of JW's and kindred groups is a rules based system of ethics and a resultant fascile grasp of personal responsibility. Are you sure you've truly left this group mentally?

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

magotan,

RE:" Quite honestly, if there were no shunning policies, I don't think these boards would exist"

That's a really interesting position. I pretty much beg to differ. Because the wild eye'd narcissist JW would still find ways to manipulate and devour their victims. IMO

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I don't detect a lot of anger, or bitterness on this board. Yes, there are forthright comments about the WT/JW "religion", and about individual JW's, but that does not make us "Mr Angry".

As to bitterness, that is a propaganda word used by the WT, so that the R&F JW's can simply dismiss what XJW's say, without even finding out eactly what XJW's say !

Yes, I do detect in others what I feel very deeply, namely regret, at a wasted life, and all those opportunities that I had to let pass by or receive the wrath and anger of the WT and my JW family.

The only time I feel anger well up within me is when I read of the appalling cases of Child Abuse that have gone on unchecked within the WT for years, and when I think about the poor little ones being raped and abused right now in the Jehovah's Witness Paedophile Paradise, simply because the GB/WT will not implement a proper programme of protection for the vulnerable.

That makes me SEETH !

• nicsfreedom
    nicsfreedom

1009, It is aparent that you have not done your research, otherwise you would know the religion is absolutely guilt not just the perpetrator.

Also, I find it infuriating to have selfish people like you who stick their head in the sand. If it doesn't personally affect you look the other way...you have the odacity to judge others on here. Yuck!!!

• adamah
    adamah

RE:" Quite honestly, if there were no shunning policies, I don't think these boards would exist"

Narcisstic supply said-

That's a really interesting position. I pretty much beg to differ. Because the wild eye'd narcissist JW would still find ways to manipulate and devour their victims. IMO

I suspect you're overlooking the point made earlier about the dangers of drawing such extreme binary 'either/or' conclusions, as if thinking the theory of 'narcissistic supply' is the SINGLE UNIVERSAL factor that explains why EVERYONE becomes a JW. The answer is actually a bit more complicated than that, since it's multi-factorial, and varies depending on the individual; the factors are a bit more lengthy and complex than you imply.

And I actually tend to agree with the sentiment you differed with, as shunning definitely 'ups the ante', driving people to reach out to others who are in the same situation for support. I can point out MANY examples of ex-JWs who say they would THANK the elders for DFing them, as it ultimately allowed them to cut the umbilical cord wrapped around their neck which kept them from breathing on their own, and allowed them to free their minds from the cult (partly via participation in discussion forums such as this). Some would look back and say it was the best thing that ever happened, since it taught them a valuable life lesson ("that which doesn't kill us makes us stronger").

There's an old adage from customer service that customers who are unhappy with some service will complain loudly to ten others, whereas the larger silent minority of 'satisfied customers' won't talk about their happy experience to only one or two; it's an asymmetrical response, since it's human nature that people like to complain more than praise. So that's going to bias the appearance of ANY forum, since those who want/need to vent will speak out moreso than the others (like 1099).

Nicfreedom said-

1009, It is aparent that you have not done your research, otherwise you would know the religion is absolutely guilt not just the perpetrator.

The problem though, is that a 'religion' is comprised of people who share a certain flawed BELIEF. You cannot punish a CONCEPT, but only the individuals who ACT on that flawed belief. So the key is individuals must accept their responsibility for the harm inflicted as a result of their PARTICIPATION in an organization that shares the belief, EVEN IF they weren't directly involved in the incident.

Few are willing to do the mental work required to see that level of shared responsibility, since they're paradoxically morally-handicapped by accepting that ALL morality comes from God, and He cannot do ANY wrong. It's simply an excuse to get away with harming others, and blaming it on their loyalty to God.

The appeal for action is based on the ULTIMATE appeal to authority ever devised (an appeal to God's authority, ie "God wants me to do X, so I will"), and the BLAME for any resultant harm is ALSO put on God's shoulders ("I was only doing God's Will"). It's that TOTAL externalization that makes religion so ripe for manipulating others, since the one who TELLS YOU what God wants is able to control the followers as if they're marionettes.

Also, I find it infuriating to have selfish people like you who stick their head in the sand. If it doesn't personally affect you look the other way...you have the odacity to judge others on here. Yuck!!!

True dat, but I'm reminded of a paradoxical saying:

"If there's one thing I just cannot stand, it's intolerance!"

Adam

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

This question of whether absent shunning there would be no resentment is an interesting one. Not having experienced shunning myself I cannot speak from personal expereince. I can certainly see how shunning ups the ante in terms of resentment because it destroys relationships and I suspect must create a sense of wariness about new relationships - 'I thought these people were my friends but they have abandoned me because I disagree witht their beliefs so can I trust anyone who purports to be my friend.'

Still I think shunning is one weapon in the armoury of emotional, social and psychological control the organisation and while it one of the most powerful, I suspect the use of fear generally may be even more powerful and almost as damaging. So even in the absence of shunning I still think there would be resentful about how fear was use to implant delusional beliefs which impacted negatively on XJWs lives and ability to reach their potential and so discovery of TTATT must create a sense of betrayal of trust.

I have some sympathy for the view that we should not be too harsh on 1009. He has challenged our thinking and caused us to articulate the reasons for it, which I think is a good thing. Also hopefully he has taken note of our answers and has a better appreciation of a different point of view than his own. If as many suspect he is still caught in WBTS thinking hopefully listening to the views expressed may cause him to reflect on that. But I do not think we should attack what he says by casting aspersions of his motives - this is a tactic employed by the WBTS and it is an odious tactic because it is a frontal attack on the ability to reason.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Notwithstanding what I just said I found this statement by 1009 interesting:

"I'm wondering why my experiences are so different from most of the others here. But I too felt like an outsider. Like I was the only one that didn't blindly follow what the WTG said, but because I was convinced that their explanation was right. Maybe that is a clue to understand why I am not as disappointed as others."

I think this is revealing because it shows that 1009 suffers from the delusion of choice which the WBTS is good at inculcating into its membership - that is he thinks that he is not a blind follower but objectively evaluated the WTBS dogma and determined that their explanation is correct. Given your history 1009 I think you are engaged in some WBTS generated self-delusion. I challenge you to really know yourself and your personal history and how the WBTS has influenced your thinking throughout your life and actually start to question that thinking in a meaningful way. Until you do that I don't think you can say your beliefs are not based on following the thinking patterns that have been implanted in you by the WBTS.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

Yeah. I think if "apostates" which is a cartoon term to me. can laugh it off and keep it light. And give to the JW's....in every way shape and form. In time these jw people will self destruct.

Laugh in the face of the name calling. Laugh in the face of the shunning. Laugh in the face of the failed social experiement. Laugh in the face of the high control narcissists and their narcissistic suppliers. Laugh in the face of the pathological space and the hunt for narcissistic supply.

that's how the cartoon "apostates" win the war against these clowns. Let them shun. Teach the kids to lampoon the entire experience. ha ha ha.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

Lay off of the 1099 guy. He's just trying to find his way like everybody else. He struck a nerve. So what. It's all good.

• never a jw
    never a jw

So many things wrong with your premise. If I can summarize it "Why be bitter, what's the big deal?"

I only got few minutes, so I will deal with the car crashes.

Car crashes for the most part are accidents. The blood policy is not an accident. Retaining the blood policy also seems to be motivated by the fear of law suits (money) and not by principle (try to support blood fraction using the Bible)

All the unnecessary human innocent lives lost to the blood policy are a big deal and completely justify being bitter, even guys like me who have never been a JW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit