Prayers that God answers. Any examples?

by punkofnice 259 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tec
    tec

I ended up getting sick yesterday, but i just finished reading your story, Maeve... and loved it. Thank you so much for sharing it.

Peace and love to you!

tammy

• humbled
    humbled

Thanks, Peace and love to you, too, tammygirl. I found your candle when all my lights were out. God is good.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

EP, puncky, shirley, what is your definition of concret proof? Do you need witnesses, pictures, news stories, lightning strikes, a voice from heaven, signed letter from god ? Just wondering.

God healing an amputee would be a good start.

why is your god ignoring all the starving, malnourished, poor, dying people of the planet who no doubt are also praying for one simple thing: FOOD?

Don't forget clean water.

So.... after all this, still not one concrete example?

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

So.... after all this, still not one concrete example?

feelings = concrete (apparently)

Isn't it interesting that god only answers prayers with intangibles? Feelings, beliefs...the ethereal.

I guess healing an amputee would be way too obvious, therefore not fitting within the scope of the methodology of god.

• tec
    tec

Maybe healing an amputee requires a certain amount of energy and faith (combined) that just isn't here on earth?

I mean, sickness, death, injury, etc... these are all things that are part and parcel of this world. God never promised otherwise. Those who belong to God through His Son are just as vulnerable to such things as those who do not belong to God, because we are all in the same kind of flesh, that has sin and death in it.

There is no concrete example that those who do not want to believe will accept as beign anything other than coincidence, etc. Or at least, there are none in my experience.

Peace,

tammy

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

So maybe there is something Jesus can't do? Not much of a god, then.

In any event, Tec, the whole point of a concrete example is to rule out coincidence, wishful thinking, etc. There is no evidence, there is no concrete example.

It's that simple.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Tec:

Maybe healing an amputee requires a certain amount of energy and faith (combined) that just isn't here on earth?

--

(for people who believe in the gospel accounts about Jesus):

Tec, I know you believe in the Biblical Jesus. The Biblical accounts give no evidence whatsoever that Jesus was limited in the scope of the healing he could perform nor was it dependent on specific, unidentified earthly forces for success. Healing amputees was child's play- he was raising dead people.

Additionally, faith was not even a pre-requisite for him to perform miracles.

So, what's changed with Jesus since then?

I find it fascinating that the standard "get out of jail free" card for fundamentalists when it comes to modern-day miracles is usually one of two excuses:

1. The person lacks faith, therefore god cannot heal them*,

2. Things were different in the ancient world. God doesn't work the same way anymore.

* ex:

There is no concrete example that those who do not want to believe will accept as beign anything other than coincidence, etc.
  • humbled
    humbled

Feelings and beliefs commit robberys, rapes and war--and amputees.

Racket & snare on this forum is absolutely opposed to religion and is, I think he has said, an atheist. He is also becoming a doctor/surgeon-- a healer-- for the love of humanity. I do not know the scope of the methodology of God, ADCMS, but when you call foul on God for his limited scope could it be that love is the broader vision?

What we call "God" here-- are there limits to what this reported Being does, which of the stories told about him are true? Do you know? There are mixed accounts you know.

We all have bought into a myth at some level, ADCMS. Even you and EP. I don't know what you do for a living or do in your private time for the world's suffering, life is a struggle that keeps us busy with our own affairs. I mention S&R from this forum because he dislikes this talk of God. But even though S&R has had impatience if not contempt for my thinking on a lot of things, I feel a strong affinity for his feelings and his actions.

Are we all not wanting good things for others? If god really is in us then let's leave our disappointed expectations of the past behind. We all were deluded to some extent--and none of us knows how much.

If I pray for love and the action of love, what will you achieve if you convince me that my prayer story is bogus? I am not able to be a surgeon. And neither are a lot of us--including those who use bombs and pull triggers.

Feelings matter a lot even after a leg is healed.

The main teachings of Jesus was of love but if we want him to give us a sign now, he will disappoint: "By this all will know you are my followers, if you have love among yourselves."

• tec
    tec

(for people who believe in the gospel accounts about Jesus):
    Tec, I know you believe in the Biblical Jesus.

Well, the gospels give us a partial picture about Christ. They don't give us everything though. Like the Spirit, Himself.

The Biblical accounts give no evidence whatsoever that Jesus was limited in the scope of the healing he could perform nor was it dependent on specific, unidentified earthly forces for success. Healing amputees was child's play- he was raising dead people.
    Additionally, faith was not even a pre-requisite for him to perform miracles.

Of course it was. The whole thing was about faith.

"If you have faith as small as a mustard seed..."

"And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith."

"Woman, your faith has healed you."

Have you read the gospels, lol?

Things are the same today, as they were then. (With the possible exception that some have redefined faith to mean mere belief, rather than knowing without doubt... recall that Peter started to sink in the water when he began to doubt - and even though Christ Himself wondered if He would find faith on the earth when He returned.)

Peace,

tammy

• Comatose
    Comatose

But I think the point is that people are making these helping differences. People are trying to show love and compassion. People. Even people who have lost their belief in god or the supernatural. People are doing these things. It's not very fair to then claim that these people are doing gods will. That's a cop out. I wasn't going to get into this one because I respect your right to have faith and enjoy the peace it brings you. But it's not logical or fair to claim that these people are gods action.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit