Prayers that God answers. Any examples?

by punkofnice 259 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Miss.Fit
    Miss.Fit

EP, puncky, shirley, what is your definition of concret proof? Do you need witnesses, pictures, news stories, lightning strikes, a voice from heaven, signed letter from god ? Just wondering.

• humbled
    humbled

I'll get this thing done as fast as I can.

Any one who has done "church" much knows how to read a parking lot. When we got to town there was no action in the church parking lot. Early to church:folks visit as they go in. Ontime: they saunter. Late: they trot. Really late: no one is there at all. this parking lot was dead and it was the last mass of the day. i asked my husband to wait while I stuck my head in the door. the service was half over.

I felt sick. My husband said'"No problem"he'd get me in next week. But it was a disaster for me--and worse--a betrayal.

God had been silent throughout all this engineering and plotting of mine--so it was silly to think of His doing me wrong. But at first opportunity I was telling him what a dirty deal he had done on the clock-winding--I told him that it was an easy thing for him to have had it be fast rather than slow. " I know how you do these things" and "What are you , really? a demon?"

At home that week the routine went as before. And I read the bible again. But now there were two stories I read and they meant something to me for the first time ever. I read that God forgave a man, David, who had killed and committed adultery. Why had he forgiven him? because he was genuinely sorry. No priest. And i could understand something else. Genuins sorrow is not an easy thing to arrive at. It had not been easy for me. Also David had NOT been told to throw the woman aside after he was accosted for his wrong.

The other story was the story of Abraham trying to kill his boy, Isaac, because he thought God asked him to. But god stopped him saying not to harm the boy, but said he was going to bless all nations for Abraham listening to him. I had tried to finish off my own marriage for God's sake, too. Had I understood God well? If God had stopped Abraham from killing the boy I wondered if I had understood God. One day I realized that God cared less about who I was married to than if I was going to let anything come between me listening to him.

So I promised then and there that If he helped me understand I wouldn't turn away ever again. I never wanted to live without him. And I would count on him stopping me from doing harm in foolish ignorance.

When we did a repeat of the last trip to town the clock was well-adjusted. As we drove down the mountain I told my husband about the two stories: the grace of forgiveness and the story of Abraham's listening. My husband still thought I was batty but glad to share a bed with me again.

We got to mass but no confession for me--I had God's forgiveness. In the service there was nothing extraordinary in any way until the priest gave us the sermon. The text was from Genesis 22. It was the story of Abraham. It was a story that likened Abraham's trust in God to that of a boy in a burning house: Hearing a voice call from outside to trust, to jump through the smoke to safe and strong arms of his father below. The boy can't see anything at all, but he jumps anyway. and the father catches him. I cried and cried through it because I knew for sure that God had finally gotten through to me. He had set me free.

And I don't know more or less than that.

I am glad for kindness and sad for the pain off loss. I don't know why 3rdGen lost her only son. It makes me love the huggers on the forum because I don't know what else more we can do than that when all goes badly for others.

It's quite a laugh that I know so little about God but will always be certain that he answered my prayer: "speak but the Word and my soul will be healed."

Thanks for the encouragement,((((( Lois))))

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Hi Humble(d), I appreciate hearing your story and walking your life path, a little with you today.

Love and Hugs from me to you, and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Just Lois in The North Pacific

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Lois:

Hey Shirley, Pardon me for calling you that, but HEY, this woman is telling us about HER religious experience.
    You don't have to listen.

---

I mean no disrespect but this is not Humbled's thread.

It would have been more appropriate for her to start her own topic and not hijack this one.

Don't worry about ADCMS, I think he's watching Baseball or Golf on TV while eating his Pizza and beer.

Nice stereotyping. I'm doing none of the above.

miss Fit:

EP, puncky, shirley, what is your definition of concret proof? Do you need witnesses, pictures, news stories, lightning strikes, a voice from heaven, signed letter from god ? Just wondering.

It would be more convincing than anecdotes.

God had been silent throughout all this engineering and plotting of mine

"Silence is God's natural language......everything else is a bad translation."

• caliber
    caliber

(((((((((humbled ))))))))))) I enjoyed your life story very much thanks

"God's answers are wiser than our
    prayers." He answers prayer...and yes, sometimes we wait a long time
    for a reply; and sometimes it is not the way that we thought

• Perversion of a truth
    Perversion of a truth

Towards the end of last year and earlier this year, I prayed to god every day for awhile. I was very sick and was having lots of anxiety and was just a mess (still haven't fully recovered). I prayed and begged god to please show me that he exists, to give me a sign and that I will worship him but that I just needed to know that he was real and exsisted. I got down on my hands and knees and cried begging him to help me get through this sickness to help me feel better yada yada blah blah... as said earlier on this thread I might have as well been praying to a Jug of milk, , cause obviously there was just a dial tone on the other end of the line the whole time...

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Maeve:

Perhaps I could be briefer and you could be kinder.

ADCMS: Pointing out an obvious fact is not being unkind.

I hardly see how this statement is unkind: Punkie- looks like your topic has been hijacked.

Lois:

Go away. Go to the fridge and get a beer, grab a bag of chips, reheat a slice of Pizza...but GO.

This woman needs to talk. She needs to get things off of her chest.

Don'tCallMe ...are you gone now?

Lois- As much as you may think you can kick someone off a public forum, you cannot. I hate to point out another obvious fact: it isn't your thread and it isn't Maeve's. It's quite audacious to come onto another person's topic and start dictating the rules in support of another person who's hijacked said topic.

• humbled
    humbled

I surrender, the thread is back on track, ADCMS. Your point is well taken.

As an explanation not an excuse, I said i got in a bind about how to cast or edit my answer in a way that framed the events meaningfully. It was a strange situation, that time in my life. At least I didn't cut and paste :)

Before I even started I wondered if punkofnice would have preferred a pm from me. maybe that's the way I should have gone but --O,well...It's done now.

This thread is a heavy one. It needs to allow for being more than a skeet shoot . You know, where someone throws out a quick short example that is shot down even faster for "lack of evidence".

I hope others share their stories--and, personally, I don't care if they take a little time to tell it. It's hard to sort this stuff out.

PS. sorry to hear about your sickness Pervof a truth. I don't know how the economy of it all goes-- I got diagnosed with stage 3 anal canal cancer in February of this year (which is why I got to come back to this forum for awhile during treatment in town). I don't pray about a lot of the aspects of it for some reason. But like you, when the pain is exruciating I do feel hung out to dry, but then I figure that there is bound to be some pain for me as there is for others?I hope for you to find peace. It is elusive for me too.

• caliber
    caliber

I dare say that the question of prayers and God's answer was addressed by "humbled"

You had something profound happen and you spoke straight from the heart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFjTkxwuBUs

"God's answers are wiser than our
    prayers." He answers prayer...and yes, sometimes we wait a long time
    for a reply; and sometimes it is not the way that we thought

We waited for four pages "humbled" waited a good part of her lifetime

her answer here ..

It's quite a laugh that I know so little about God but will always be certain that he answered my prayer: "speak but the Word and my soul will be healed."

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It is an interesting story Humbled. I did not mind the length, as you said, others can skip what they don't want to read. I believe you think you got an answer to your prayer, but it seems to me that you answered your own prayer. The brain is a complicated thing and sometimes it's workings can seem to come from outside ourselves. I have never gotten an answer to a prayer, although I tried many times. If you believe you got an answer and it helped you, good for you, but I don't know why God would answer your prayers and not someone else who was just as sincere. It makes God seem capricious, granting this one and not that one. I would like to believe in God, but I cannot pretend. The only proof of God's existence is the word of some who say he does, who think he granted a prayer. So why do you think God granted your prayer and not mine?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit